A thoroughly enjoyed blank!

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Bridgewater Canal, Timperley.
It's one of those rare spots on the bank opposite to the foot path, tucked away in a gap in the bushes.

I've spent untold amounts fishing this canal with lures in recent times, trying to prove to myself that it holds big Perch, and that still remains to be seen.

I've changed my fishing recently, I've cashed out of some of my more expensive lure tackle, and I've bought a Barbel setup, and also a float setup for this type of stuff.

Today I rigged a Drennan bobber, 2.5g olivette, a BB dropper and a size 6 microbarbed wipe gape.

I fished a HUGE bait all day, 1/3'ish of a Tesco's Finest king prawn - banded, with a lob worm on the hook, I started in quite an open spot with zero cover or features and probably wasted a good 3 hours there, just happy to be on the bank testing my rigs and whatnot - if it happened it happened, it didn't...

I moved to the spot pictured below when it started raining, the trees kept me dry and I was able to fish some cover, I began to get bites, I missed a few but I doubt they were real takes - due to the size of the bait.

I probably could have downsized the bait to prevent the blank, but to be honest I was quite happy to keep it on and play for big or nothing, and so it was...

qqY3KZk.jpg

Silver fan 82

Bridgewater Canal, Timperley.
It's one of those rare spots on the bank opposite to the foot path, tucked away in a gap in the bushes.

I've spent untold amounts fishing this canal with lures in recent times, trying to prove to myself that it holds big Perch, and that still remains to be seen.

I've changed my fishing recently, I've cashed out of some of my more expensive lure tackle, and I've bought a Barbel setup, and also a float setup for this type of stuff.

Today I rigged a Drennan bobber, 2.5g olivette, a BB dropper and a size 6 microbarbed wipe gape.

I fished a HUGE bait all day, 1/3'ish of a Tesco's Finest king prawn - banded, with a lob worm on the hook, I started in quite an open spot with zero cover or features and probably wasted a good 3 hours there, just happy to be on the bank testing my rigs and whatnot - if it happened it happened, it didn't...

I moved to the spot pictured below when it started raining, the trees kept me dry and I was able to fish some cover, I began to get bites, I missed a few but I doubt they were real takes - due to the size of the bait.

I probably could have downsized the bait to prevent the blank, but to be honest I was quite happy to keep it on and play for big or nothing, and so it was...

View attachment 41469
Get yourself down your local commercial mate, bet they will be crawling up your rod there!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Best bet may be to feed to pull in the prey fish first then the perch usually wont be far behind

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Best bet may be to feed to pull in the prey fish first then the perch usually wont be far behind

I did feed a bit of chopped worm and prawn now and again, not much though, wanted to save my worms for a (hopefully)big Monday on the Trent and Mersey!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Worth ground baiting or feeding maggot to pull in their prey if you are going to sit on one spot for a while

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Well, no post Gazza. I'm guessing he blanked again ? 😲😜

I didn’t blank, I caught around no less than 15 Perch and 3 Roach but the biggest was no bigger than 6-8 ounces, considering I went to the spot where I caught my PB Perch on a lure - now fishing a big bundle of worms, I was pretty confident in catching a decent one but it wasn’t to be, I’m going back today so I figured I’d post 2 days in 1.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I didn’t blank, I caught around no less than 15 Perch and 3 Roach but the biggest was no bigger than 6-8 ounces, considering I went to the spot where I caught my PB Perch on a lure - now fishing a big bundle of worms, I was pretty confident in catching a decent one but it wasn’t to be, I’m going back today so I figured I’d post 2 days in 1.
There’s a chap comes to fish our local canal. He fishes just for perch. He uses a set up that looks like he’s carp fishing. Two rods on delkims with those swinger thingy’s. He fishes the biggest lob worms you’ve ever seen. I asked him once if he ever gets any to which he pulled his iPhone out and showed me some pictures of perch between 3.5lb and just over 5lb. Now, I’m not big into perch but these things looked great. Really vivid colours and fin perfect. He told me that on one rod he simply uses a lobby and on the other he puts a lobby on but then injects it with air using a tiny syringe so the bait is slightly popped up off the bottom. I’m afraid to say though that he does get the odd jack pike in with his perch so, I don’t know if you’d need some sort of trace ? Just a thought.

Neskin

Dirty great lobworms mate, if theyre there theyll have it. Tiny perch will have a crack at a lobworm twice its length. Ive never done too well on prawns although its probably a confidence thing.

Get half a pint of reds and some groundbait to draw in the bait fish too.

Good luck, i love perch fishing, theres something about them. Had a really good winter a couple of seasons ago on the ivel, unfortunate the stretch is no longer on the ticket but i was pulling out 3-4 3lb plus perch each time. Cracking sessions they were.

Ever fished a little livey for them?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I find some red groundbait, mixed soft so it forms a nice cloud is good for big perch. Loose feed red maggots over it as well.