A tale of three Pike.....

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
This morning saw me at one of our club's eight lakes. Not many Tench but plenty of Roach and Rudd to keep me happy. Did I mention the Pike?
Simple float fishing with corn on a fourteen does it nicely.
First cast and it wasn't quite right so I wound in. Huge splash and a jack had snaffled the piece of corn. He was on for about ten seconds before biting through the 3lb hook length.
Tied another on and settled down to a diet of 4-6 oz Roach. Winding about the third one in and WHAM! Another jack. This one wasn't giving up his prize in a hurry and gave me a bit of a tussle before letting go of the Roach - a very chewed but still alive Roach. Back it went to the accompanying splash and swirl of chummy reclaiming his prize.
So the morning wore on with a steady catch of Roach, Rudd and Hybrids.
Then it happened. Another fish taken. "Those bl**dy jacks again" I thought. Then I realised, this was no jack, this was a bruddy big Pike. I had her on for about ten minutes and seriously thought that I was going to land her. A fellow fisher had seen the action and was standing by with my big 42" net. I got her close in once and she was clearly a good double - easily knocking on the door of 20lb. Then she took off again on a massive clutch singing run and ping! She was gone. I'll be back come October with my proper Pike gear. Then we'll see who the boss is.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Par for the coarse on the Thames round here that when fishing for roach and to a lesser extent on the Avon as well. Very rare to have a session without at least a couple attacks sometimes have up to a dozen. Only generally land a couple each year though as 2lb hooklengths and pike don’t mix! They come in all shapes and sizes as well. Little 3lb jacks that fill up on a couple fish up to double figure crocs that’ll give you grief all day. Pain in the bum when they bite you off but just part of nature so can’t really complain. They’re like rats in a barrel to flashy spoons and plugs when they’re wound up like that though and after being caught or at least pricked tend to bother you less. Problem is a spinning rod is just something else to carry!

mbuna_matt

Site Supporter
I wonder how smart pike are...the year before last I had a day of grief with every decent roach getting hit - good by hook length hello Mr Pike, but put a proper lure down on sensible gear, there was nothing doing. In the end it was a bleak live bait that did the trick all 7 fat lb's of roach mauling pain. 'm actually not a big fan of live bait but this was getting to be ridiculous. Thankfully it left everything alone after being released.....

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Our matches down at Port Talbot doc have become a nightmare for pike strikes. 20+ strikes in a match is not uncommon with my personal record being 32😭! 32 pike strikes, 32 new hooklengths. Its deep, very deep and plenty of structures for them to lurk around in ready to ambush. The place has had an explosion of them since the hot water from the steelworks has been off and the big silver weights are dwindling.

OLD SCHOOL

This morning saw me at one of our club's eight lakes. Not many Tench but plenty of Roach and Rudd to keep me happy. Did I mention the Pike?
Simple float fishing with corn on a fourteen does it nicely.
First cast and it wasn't quite right so I wound in. Huge splash and a jack had snaffled the piece of corn. He was on for about ten seconds before biting through the 3lb hook length.
Tied another on and settled down to a diet of 4-6 oz Roach. Winding about the third one in and WHAM! Another jack. This one wasn't giving up his prize in a hurry and gave me a bit of a tussle before letting go of the Roach - a very chewed but still alive Roach. Back it went to the accompanying splash and swirl of chummy reclaiming his prize.
So the morning wore on with a steady catch of Roach, Rudd and Hybrids.
Then it happened. Another fish taken. "Those bl**dy jacks again" I thought. Then I realised, this was no jack, this was a bruddy big Pike. I had her on for about ten minutes and seriously thought that I was going to land her. A fellow fisher had seen the action and was standing by with my big 42" net. I got her close in once and she was clearly a good double - easily knocking on the door of 20lb. Then she took off again on a massive clutch singing run and ping! She was gone. I'll be back come October with my proper Pike gear. Then we'll see who the boss is.
Glad you are going to wait till Oct, pike really do suffer in the summer........Sounds like you had a great day, I am a piker (in the winter ) believe me mate a 20lb pike is a rare fish these days (we all know why), well done