A surprising afternoon

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Etang de Vitailles, St Yriex de Perche

My mate phoned this morning to see if I fancied a few hours fishing. It was cold, wet and windy and, to be honest, I didn't really fancy it, but he talked me into it. Glad he did. ;) Our usual venue was holding a match today, so I suggested a pond abouy half an hour away, belonging to a nice English couple. I last fished it around 2 years ago, when it held carp up to mid doubles. I haven't carp fished for a while, so instead of the usual feeder set up I took two light carp rods at 2lb TC with shimano 5010s. These are rods I built on Cono-Flex fibreglass blanks years ago. Not great casting tools, but a lovely through action for playing fish
What with one thing and another we didn't get out until lunchtime and finally got my first rod in the water around 1pm. Bait was a 20mm "the Source" boilie that I have had knocking around for ages. A small pva mesh bag full of crumbled boilie added to the attraction.
I finished setting up my second rod and was just putting bait on when I had a sail away bite on rod 1.
It felt a good fish from the off, long slow steady runs and a feeling of weight. 10 minutes later I first saw it and knew it was a good one. Safely landed it was into the sling and on the scales. It wen 36lb 6oz. My second largest ever carp:D(y) and this was from a lake that I thought didn't contain anything bigger than mid doubles. The owner told me later that they had added a dozen fish between 25Lb and 45Lb about a year ago.
A great surprise, made better because it was landed on a rod I built myself. The rod felt great playing it, I could feel the butt flex under my hand. I can honestly say that I never felt undergunned.
To cap off a great session I had two more fish, 12lb and 24lb, so a great afternoon on a little known or fished venue.
Terry has photographs of the big fish on his phone, so when he gets around to sending them, I will put them up.:D

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Went back to this lake today, what a difference a week makes.
Arrived at lunchtime, had 3 rods in the water by 12.30. and had a screaming run on the right hand rod at 1pm. It was a mid double that fell off just as I was about to net it.
It started raining at 1.30, and when I say rain, I mean monsoon. It lashed down, the wind howled and huddled under my ancient Leeda 2XL brolly, I got soaked as the wind swirled around, changing through 180deg in a matter of seconds. Never had another beep, and to be honest, didn't really care.
By 4.30 PM I was cold, wet and demoralised. It was still lashing unabated and I had had enough.
Didn't even take the time to pack rods etc away, just broke them down and left them on the bank, I will pick them up tomorrow, if it ever stops raining. :)
So, what did I learn from today's outing?
  1. Believe the weather forecast occasionally
  2. Get some decent waterproofs (solved, I have just ordered them)
  3. Get a new brolly/shelter. Any suggestions welcome, preferably with wrap around sides.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Back here again. Started fishing at 09.30, "the source" 20mm boilie with a pva bag of crumbled boilie. At 10.00 had two rods in and was tying up a new rig for rod 3 when there was a tentative beep on rod 1. It was giving occasional beeps, one of those do I/don't I runs. I picked up and tightened down to see if I could feel anything and thought I was in a snag, then the snag started swimming away :D
I was about 5 mins into the fight when the alarm on rod 2 sounded and I watched the bobbin fall in a classic drop back, before line started peeling of the spool. Nothing I could do, I had to land the fish I was playing. This turned out to be another surprise and new second best PB at 37lb 2oz
When I got back to rod 2 somehow the fish was still attached and weighed in at 13lb.
That was it until I was just about pack up when the last fish of the day made an appearance at 15 carp1.jpg carp 2.jpg carp 3.jpg lb 4oz
All fish fell to the same rod.

Silver fan 82

Back here again. Started fishing at 09.30, "the source" 20mm boilie with a pva bag of crumbled boilie. At 10.00 had two rods in and was tying up a new rig for rod 3 when there was a tentative beep on rod 1. It was giving occasional beeps, one of those do I/don't I runs. I picked up and tightened down to see if I could feel anything and thought I was in a snag, then the snag started swimming away :D
I was about 5 mins into the fight when the alarm on rod 2 sounded and I watched the bobbin fall in a classic drop back, before line started peeling of the spool. Nothing I could do, I had to land the fish I was playing. This turned out to be another surprise and new second best PB at 37lb 2oz
When I got back to rod 2 somehow the fish was still attached and weighed in at 13lb.
That was it until I was just about pack up when the last fish of the day made an appearance at 15 carp1.jpg carp 2.jpg carp 3.jpg lb 4oz
All fish fell to the same rod.
Good angling mate. 37lb too! ?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Sounds a great lake.
It is a 4 acre pond in someone's garden.
The property belongs to a Brit couple who bought it with the intention of running fishing holidays, but I think they ran out of money and motivation at the same time.
It is not heavily stocked, but they put 12 30lb plus fish in a year ago. That means a pretty hefty investment. The problem is the venue lacks any facilities. It is not publicised and, to my knowledge, very few people fish it, I have never seen anyone else there.
They now run it as a day ticket water, €10.00 8am to 8pm.
It is currently for sale for €140,00. You would probably buy it for closer to €100,00. That does not include a house, but there is planning permission.

Silver fan 82

It is a 4 acre pond in someone's garden.
The property belongs to a Brit couple who bought it with the intention of running fishing holidays, but I think they ran out of money and motivation at the same time.
It is not heavily stocked, but they put 12 30lb plus fish in a year ago. That means a pretty hefty investment. The problem is the venue lacks any facilities. It is not publicised and, to my knowledge, very few people fish it, I have never seen anyone else there.
They now run it as a day ticket water, €10.00 8am to 8pm.
It is currently for sale for €140,00. You would probably buy it for closer to €100,00. That does not include a house, but there is planning permission.
I wouldn't mind that in the back garden lol!