A source of entertainment.

Beck Hill

Close season in force, river inaccessible, can't bring myself to visit the local carp puddle, yet, however, some light hearted fishing entertainment has been found. E Bay has a wonderful selection of reels of all types and some at wonderful prices. Being a pin enthusiast, browsing that particular section brings a smile to my face when I see some of the reel descriptions and prices. Some of them give great mirth as they are obviously advertised by someone who is not an angler and does not have a clue what the item being advertised is or used for. A fly reel described as 'a wonderful reel for float fishing' or a plain centrepin wheel as ' very suitable for pike fishing. Then there's the prices, £60 for an old Harringtons Gemima or £800 for a pin associated with someone's name, if you go to the new fixed spool reel section, Diawa reels can be had for around £1100 all the way from Japan. What angler in his right mind seeking a reel for use is going to pay these prices for items that range from the useful to the less than useless. There are many items listed that are at a fair price for their condition, however, when I see something like ' My late Dad's reel, been in the shed for 20 years, needs a little TLC', and look at the photos to see a wreck that £100 is asked for I wonder if the seller is taking the pee, had it valued on David Dickenson, or just trying to pawn off rubbish to an unsuspecting buyer. Primarily buying off eBay is a case of Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware but browsing still makes some good entertainment.

Truly

Site Supporter
Having spent a considerable amount of time on Ebay and FB Market Place during the first lockdown, I agree that there is a lot of overpriced, poor condition rubbish, the decriptions of which bear little resemblance to the item offered. Beware and be careful.

Having said that, I have bought two of the older Shimano Saharas and an Abu 506 from Ebay and Facebook market place. The Saharas are like new and the 506 in vgc. All for sensible money too. The best bargain was the Sahara 2500, with spare spool and original box for £20 (y) .

On FB Market Place, I got an, as new, Daiwa Jaguar 13' carbon match rod for £12 +£6 postage. Arrived within 3 days too. Just the same as mine from the 1980s but less used. Some folk are asking £60 + £15 postage for this rod !...... jokers o_O.

Good stuff is there but it takes a bit of searching for. Good craik looking though and much more entertaining than the telly.:D

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
20210315_110412.jpg

20210315_110435.jpg

Picked this little Beauty up this week... A Hodder... 3.5" in cracking nick for £65 ... been after one for about 4 years.... sometimes the Bay turns up trumps for what you are looking for... sometimes old shonkers go for silly money... just gotta be careful and be choosey

Beck Hill

20210315_110412.jpg

20210315_110435.jpg

Picked this little Beauty up this week... A Hodder... 3.5" in cracking nick for £65 ... been after one for about 4 years.... sometimes the Bay turns up trumps for what you are looking for... sometimes old shonkers go for silly money... just gotta be careful and be choosey
My 2 recent buys off the Bay were a Mordex Mentor and a Dowling pin. They are small 4" diameter reels and as small as I would like to go as in my experience anything smaller is hard work when trotting 30m or so, The smaller the diameter the lower the retrieve ratio the more batting required, however, if they were to be for display it matters not. Both were being sold as maker unknown but it's not rocket science identifying a reel especially with all the info on eBay.
I have a few old pins, several 5.5" Leeds, Trudex, Mordex Merlin, B&W Golden Eagle, Harrington Maxima and 2 modern ball bearing jobs, one being a Chinese copy of the Aerial which I rate as good as the original, this reel cost around £35 direct from China. They all get used on a regular basis and are a joy to use on flowing water with an upstream breeze.
So, going back to buying off the Bay, I will keep browsing as you never know what you might find hopefully at a reasonable price. When lockdown lifts and the carboots reopen, there is another source of used tackle and I have had many bargains from them in the past including a pair of Trudex in their boxes for £30, I gave the seller an extra £5 as I felt guilty buying at the price he was asking..

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My Hodder is going to be used on tiny rivers where a 10m trot is long trotting... at the last count I have nearly 30 pins... I really should have a thinning out... I have one of the Ariel copies (Matt Hayes Signature) and they are very good reels...