A small world

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A lot of people come round to chat at the park lake. I don't mind it, it's almost reassuring that people are friendly round here, and you get to know regulars.

Anyway, was chatting to one bloke and he told me he'd only moved to the area 12 months ago. I said I'd only moved 4 years ago. After a bit more conversation it turns out he's from Sheldon, just down the road from where I used to live in Acocks Green, Birmingham. We talked some more and realised we were both former members of the Starlets Junior Club run by Ken and Janice Aske.

That was all I needed to know to divulge the locations of a few venues round here. I'm not one for keeping things under my hat anyway, but I told him the location of the weir in my village as we both fish the Stour.

A very pleasant encounter and conversation that lasted at least half an hour.

Who have you met on the bank that makes you think, 'it's a small world'?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think he said it was Sean Ashby who was a member of Starlets at same time as him.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I’ve often wondered if I know anyone from my past on here.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can't be Sean Ashby as he is your area Dave, Derby/Notts Trent angler, but it was some other champion he mentioned that was a Starlet.

Dslayer

dslayer
A lot of people come round to chat at the park lake. I don't mind it, it's almost reassuring that people are friendly round here, and you get to know regulars.

Anyway, was chatting to one bloke and he told me he'd only moved to the area 12 months ago. I said I'd only moved 4 years ago. After a bit more conversation it turns out he's from Sheldon, just down the road from where I used to live in Acocks Green, Birmingham. We talked some more and realised we were both former members of the Starlets Junior Club run by Ken and Janice Aske.

That was all I needed to know to divulge the locations of a few venues round here. I'm not one for keeping things under my hat anyway, but I told him the location of the weir in my village as we both fish the Stour.

Completely the opposite for me re 'others', barely accept other anglers but ramblers, dog walkers, etc I won't give the time of day. The reason I no longer fish Himley Hall with its endless footfalls....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Completely the opposite for me re 'others', barely accept other anglers but ramblers, dog walkers, etc I won't give the time of day. The reason I no longer fish Himley Hall with its endless footfalls....
I fish Himley and get used to the walkers, no such thing as a fishing 'utopia'. It's good clear water Tench fishing not a mucky puddle with a few lilies. 😁

Dslayer

dslayer
I fish Himley and get used to the walkers, no such thing as a fishing 'utopia'. It's good clear water Tench fishing not a mucky puddle with a few lilies. 😁
Charge for parking there when fishing too now I hear....

Id rather fish a stagnant fishless water without ramblers than Himley tbh. Last few times I fished there I pinned a note to the back of my seat that said ..."No I ain't caught nothing, now go away!".. or words to that effect 😊

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Charge for parking there when fishing too now I hear....

Id rather fish a stagnant fishless water without ramblers than Himley tbh. Last few times I fished there I pinned a note to the back of my seat that said ..."No I ain't caught nothing, now go away!".. or words to that effect 😊
I get my dad to drop me off at the gate near to the toilets/wall end of the lake as I don't have the code to get to the nearest car park. It would be too much of a hike for me to walk from the main car park despite travelling light.

I've seen the same chap there every time I've fished there and got to know him as a result, he lives there and reckons it's one of the best Tench venues in the country, I'd go along with that, not massive fish but good fishing.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Met one guy when i was fishing Pride of Derby for pike and turned out he was my neighbour from way back in about 1986 when i was 4 years old.

davej1981

On a fishing holiday in ireland we went into the local tackle shop and found the guy who owned it originally lived in eastbourne which is only 40mins from me and one year when i went to the ian heaps school of angling i met a guy there from a little village near me
Not in fishing but I bumped into someone who lived down the road from my mum when i was on holiday in ibiza years ago!

Carmody

My favourite tackle shop growing up in Solihull in the 70’s/early 80’s was in Acocks Green - Jarvis tackle. Long gone now of course and I doubt if anyone else remembers it.