A returning fisherman - where to fish in Surrey?

Sebbie

Site Supporter
I haven't fished for 20 years. Kids, work pressures, other pursuits just meant that I ran out of time.

I'm coming through the other side of that and am keen to start again. My a lot has changed in terms of techniques and tackle in those 20 years!!!

I'm now living in East Surrey and looking for general mixed fisheries that have silvers and carp. My favourite fishing of old was fishing 2 rods, 1 carp rod and 1 for silvers and so ideally something like that, and my preference is for still rather than running water. Probably day ticket in the first instance but I would consider a club at a later date.

All suggestions gratefully received!!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Bury Hill Fishery. Dorking and District club gives you access to the river Mole. When I lived in Redhill I used to drive down to Monk Lakes in Kent.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Bury Hill Fishery. Dorking and District club gives you access to the river Mole. When I lived in Redhill I used to drive down to Monk Lakes in Kent.

Thanks. Somebody told me that Bury Hill was now a members only facility. Is that not the case?

JR Hartley

Can I suggest that instead of paying out for day tickets that you look at joining Edenbridge AS fantastic value for money and just a short drive to most of the waters from you

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Thanks. Somebody told me that Bury Hill was now a members only facility. Is that not the case?
Nope still day ticket. I'd be glad to join you for a day - if it's not raining.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Isn't Gold Valley down that way too...?

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Thanks all. I need to sort out how much of my tackle remains serviceable and then get out there and try these.

Do any of you have any experience of the Rookery Angling club or Priory Farm? Both members clubs but both independently recommended to me.

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Priory Farm is - or at least was when I lived in Redhill - expensive. Of course it depends how you define expensive but at £190 per year that to me is expensive.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Priory Farm is - or at least was when I lived in Redhill - expensive. Of course it depends how you define expensive but at £190 per year that to me is expensive.
Thanks RedhillPhil. I agree that £190 in one go is expensive, but I note that Bury Hill with 2 rods is £17 per day and so assuming that I’d be there at least once a month minimum then Priory Farm would work out cheaper.

Phily50

Thanks all. I need to sort out how much of my tackle remains serviceable and then get out there and try these.

Do any of you have any experience of the Rookery Angling club or Priory Farm? Both members clubs but both independently recommended to me.
I fished priory farm for 2 years a while back. For yourself it's pretty local and depends what you want to get out of the waters. I found it rather good for an evening, living in Caterham as I could pop down after work. The lakes are lovely but I note the prices have risen somewhat since I fished there.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
I fished priory farm for 2 years a while back. For yourself it's pretty local and depends what you want to get out of the waters. I found it rather good for an evening, living in Caterham as I could pop down after work. The lakes are lovely but I note the prices have risen somewhat since I fished there.
Thanks Phily50. I think that I'm going to try a few day ticket waters first and then seek the offered tour of Priory Farms to see whether it's worth the expense.

mikey393

Site Supporter
Hi Sebbie There's quite a lot of choice in the area. I'm a member of Leatherhead D.A.S. a very friendly club with our own waters including our two ponds at Bookham which are both very well stocked & can guarantee you'll catch there. We also have the Wildlife Lake & Rookery lakes at Ashstead, very picturesque & stock some large tench & decent bream along with lots of roach. We don't have a day ticket system but we give you a day voucher for £10 which can then be redeemed against taking out a Full 12 month Membership which is very reasonably priced. We also have reciprocal deals with Willingshurst & More House Farm. You don't mention your age but we give a reduced O.A.P. membership rate as well. We also, have our own stretch of the river mole & via winter weekly matches with Dorking A.C. can access their stretch as well. One Day Ticket venue quite close to you which I can recommend is Warwick Wold Fishery at Merstham. It'a a bit noisy getting used to as it's right on the M25 so just take some ear plugs but the fishing is great!

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Hi Sebbie There's quite a lot of choice in the area. I'm a member of Leatherhead D.A.S. a very friendly club with our own waters including our two ponds at Bookham which are both very well stocked & can guarantee you'll catch there. We also have the Wildlife Lake & Rookery lakes at Ashstead, very picturesque & stock some large tench & decent bream along with lots of roach. We don't have a day ticket system but we give you a day voucher for £10 which can then be redeemed against taking out a Full 12 month Membership which is very reasonably priced. We also have reciprocal deals with Willingshurst & More House Farm. You don't mention your age but we give a reduced O.A.P. membership rate as well. We also, have our own stretch of the river mole & via winter weekly matches with Dorking A.C. can access their stretch as well. One Day Ticket venue quite close to you which I can recommend is Warwick Wold Fishery at Merstham. It'a a bit noisy getting used to as it's right on the M25 so just take some ear plugs but the fishing is great!
Thanks Mikey393, that's really helpful. I like the sound of a mixture of stillwaters and rivers, plus the reciprocal arrangements with other clubs. I'll try the day voucher route and go from there.

mikey393

Site Supporter
Thanks Sebbie. One of our nice bailiffs will introduce themselves down at the ponds where's there's plenty of parking & only a short distance to walk.
Please let me know how you get on.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Thanks Sebbie. One of our nice bailiffs will introduce themselves down at the ponds where's there's plenty of parking & only a short distance to walk.
Please let me know how you get on.
Will do. I don't give up work until Easter and so probably won't be until after then.

mikey393

Site Supporter
Ideal as Our New Membership year starts from 1st April & the weather should be better by then.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Warlingham & district don't have their own waters, but membership allows you to fish Beaver Farm (not all lakes) free monday to friday, half price weekends, Claygate Lakes and Orchard Place Farm on a similar basis. Check their website for up to date info. Warwick Wold is good, but not open all week, and I think prices have gone up, or are going to.