A required but absolutely boring job

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Happened to purchase a bit of various tackle this week, all sorts of bits, rods reels, end tackle galore

in the parcel was a fair old bit of shot, tubs full, tubs half full, those eight sided tubs that dinsmores make that dispense single shot at a time, with anything from half full to near empty,

just spent half a lifetime, refilling the dispensers with tubbed shot, every size from AA down to no10, farsands of em !

nigh on shot blind now, but refilled the lot, should do me for the waggler and stick fishing for the rest of my life

essential, but what a boring job, !!!!

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Happened to purchase a bit of various tackle this week, all sorts of bits, rods reels, end tackle galore

in the parcel was a fair old bit of shot, tubs full, tubs half full, those eight sided tubs that dinsmores make that dispense single shot at a time, with anything from half full to near empty,

just spent half a lifetime, refilling the dispensers with tubbed shot, every size from AA down to no10, farsands of em !

nigh on shot blind now, but refilled the lot, should do me for the waggler and stick fishing for the rest of my life

I gave all my shot dispensers to my Dad years ago when I started match fishing as I only needed no8 downwards, sort of regretted it now I'm fishing rivers but I use lots of no8 or olivettes.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
those eight sided tubs that dinsmores make that dispense single shot at a time, with anything from half full to near empty,

Just prise the clear top off the dispenser, refill and refit top :upthumb:.
Don't tell me you filled them one shot at a time? ? ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
When buying old shot, how do you know it isn't lead ? Seems it should be straight forward, but some old lead can be quite hard, so just being easy to close may not be the answer.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Back in the early 60's all my shot was kept in an 'old Holborn' tin. All sizes lumped together.?

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I stopped using split shot when I discovered Stotz, but when I did use shot I just used to keep them in their individual tubs in a draw in my conti box, I could never get on with those rotating shot dispensers, work of the devil!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I stopped using split shot when I discovered Stotz, but when I did use shot I just used to keep them in their individual tubs in a draw in my conti box, I could never get on with those rotating shot dispensers, work of the devil!

whereas I love these little dinsmores shot dispensers, great for taking out single shots without the risk of spillage

one drawer in my Boss box is set aside for such things and the thin batten dividers Ive fitted in it, allow for a really nice snug fit without them rattling around, and the sizes on the top are easy to read

all I do first is remove the little tag on the side with a sharp knife so they fit in easier

I have another sub divided drawer that hold Stotz, I can get in two of the little multi pack trays of them and the Stotta tool in it, I use stotz on my pole rigs,

shot are mainly for the top and bottom stick floats and my wagglers

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
whereas I love these little dinsmores shot dispensers, great for taking out single shots without the risk of spillage

one drawer in my Boss box is set aside for such things and the thin batten dividers Ive fitted in it, allow for a really nice snug fit without them rattling around, and the sizes on the top are easy to read

all I do first is remove the little tag on the side with a sharp knife so they fit in easier

I have another sub divided drawer that hold Stotz, I can get in two of the little multi pack trays of them and the Stotta tool in it, I use stotz on my pole rigs,

shot are mainly for the top and bottom stick floats and my wagglers

At the end of the day it's what works best for you. Having said that I don't like those rotating multi-compartment shot dispensers, I wouldn't be without my rotating multi-compartment style dispenser, the very slightly domed centre part which they open onto is ideal for tapping the underside to get the styles to flip over to get the slot downwards. I tend to use stotz on my mainline ans styles, (1 or 2), on my hook-link which is usually 6" for most of my fishing. Stotz & Styles just make adjusting a rig easier for me.

I think we all get into our comfort zone, which isn't a bad thing at all. :)