A Red Letter Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
It didn't start off too well!
Following expressing my desire to try and catch an English Pike for the 1st time ever, I carefully prepared the few relevant items of tackle I had on the evening of thursday the 17th Jan.
John (Esox) had kindly invited me to fish a reservoir that was producing and we had arranged to meet at 8.00 am. I was 10 miles from home, when it struck me that my carp rod pod and bite alarms were ever so neatly lieing on the kitchen floor, where I had placed them to be conveniant! The panic of de-icing the car after yet another unexpected freeze and the expected delay caused by the thick fog, had made me forget them! (Extract from Zip the Comlpleat Incompetent chap.3)
Making a handbrake turn, I shot back home, collected the missing items sent a 30 min delay message to Johns mobile and set off again.
When I reached the car park however, I was met with a reassuring sight from the swim next door to the car with the roof rack that John had told me to look for!
A rod, held high in the air was plunging forward and back as a struggling Pike fought for freedom.
'Hi! Just in time' said the man I 1st thought hiding behind a hedge or chewing a rat, but as I got closer could see was wearing a full set of whiskers!
'Just struck into this one, you can help land it.'
I eagerly went down the bank and was able to net a fine, beautifully marked,pike.'About 5 lbs' said John,'I shan't bother to weigh it'
I would, I thought, but then it would have been my 1st!.
I insisted that John allow me to photograph him with the catch as a momento for me and then he carefully returned it.
He had set up a rod for me, knowing that I only had 1 reel with 10lb line and having erected my rod pod, discovered 1 of my batteries had failed and having to also borrow a 2nd bite alarm!, I cast out John's rod and set up my own.
The set up was under John's instruction,as he showed me the end tackle method,explained the trace and rig,showed me how to hook the deadbait smelt and why we needed PVA to stop the free running lead from flying back up the line.
Casting the 2nd rod,we fell to discussing Piking and I began to appreciate how lucky I was to have so much information free of charge!
At around 10.15, the buzzer on the rod John had given me made a noise that I missed!, but had John moving towards it quickly.
Feeling the line,he said 'Funny, I thought it was a run, but its slack now, maybe coming towards us'
As told , I picked up the rod and followed his instructions.
'Wind down slowly and if you feel anything Strike'
I wound the reel handle and Yes suddenly felt a jerk and so struck overhead and with great delight,saw the rod arch as a fish was on!
As John got the landing net ready,I played the fish in and was delighted to see come to the surface my 1st ever English Pike!
Shortly after I was shown how to unhook with forceps, avoiding cuts, abrasions and teeth and how to hold the fish safely and securely, whilst John did the honours with the Camera.
Weighed at 7lb 11 ozs, it became the 4th new species I have caught since 11th of December.
Well chuffed and I mean both of us, because John seemed to get as much pleasure, knowing what it meant to me, as I did, we carried on discussing Pike, fish and life in general, as only 2 strangers who share a common interest can do.
My excitement grew as at around 11.20 MY rod also gave out a bleep and this time the run was more of the type I had read about! Picking up the rod I struck and was shortly rewarded with a 2nd fish topping the water,which subsequently was proved to weigh 8lbs 5 oz.
Exactly 16 lb of fish in just 2 1/2 hours a 1st and subsequent personal best. I couldnt believe it.
The day, although cold was clear, and the ice that lay 20 metres out in front of us, was slowly receding, but the wind had risen slightly and the next few hours passed happily in conversation, but with no more runs.
Then of course,as ever with me! Zip The Compleat Incompetent chap. 4, opened!
My rod again burst into life as the smelt was taken.Again a strike and again the weight of a fish on!
A guy who had been spinning close by, wandered across to see the action and as a nicer looking fish swirled on top of the water,John looked at his watch and said '2.36'
As I said a cold wind had been blowing and I had put on my gloves.I had also put on the anti-reverse AND I had put on the clutch too to tight!
As John slid out the landing net, I tried to bring the fish to the top close in.
With a burst of speed that caught me totally unprepared, the fish lunged downward,the line tightened and snapped and the look on Johns face said it all!
'That was a double you just lost' came down from the spinner on the bank behind me,which somehow did not seem to help at all!
John was most philosophical about it all, explaining that 'that's how you learn' etc., but I just felt sick, hoping the fish would be OK.
We carried on until dusk, but no more takes and eventually reeled in, disposed of the smelt dead-bait and set off for a well earned pint of Guinness!
I would'nt mention the fact that i was 2-1 up, or 16lbs to 5, but I discovered John was a Man U fan and the 9-0 score of Man U. over my beloved Ipswich ,still hurts!
So may I publicly say thank you to a great Guy, for a Great day, discovered through a Great site.

That really was a Red Letter day for me

Trev

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice tale Trev. The thrill of the first run of a pike is something i will never forget. I was lucky a 13lb one first try but 30 years later have never got close to it.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one Trev,and good on you John!
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

waxlion1

Sounds like a good day was had by all!

well done! to the both of you, but pike have teeth.

P.S. I was at that 9-0 game he he he!

Waxlion1

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Excellent Trev,

Any chance I can borrow your book when you've done with it

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Yes Wax they do have teef but I was not bitten once all day. (its all done to the early training the pike receive). A great day spent in great company I look foreward to the next time. John

chill out go fishing

My best experience of catching a pike was when i was fishing for bits(roach/perch and bream)on a pole,when i hooked a small perch.Started to bring it in when a jack pike got its mouth round it,hooked itself and had a fight for at least 5mins.It was flipping in the air,rolling on the surface...Brought it in,weighed it 5lb...What a fight on the pole.....

The bigger the better...

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev

Well done mate you deserve the pike

Knowing John as i do i can also believe how much fun you had & how much you will have learnt in one day.

My turn next mate so are you still on for a day over here ?? (well you might as well pass on what Johns taught you)

Alan
You've just been moderated

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Can I come to please Mr Moderator can I hey hey Mr Moderator please pretty please can I hey can I

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks 1 and all and especially again to John.
After that Alan, no way am I missing out on your promised trip and I might manage to be back where I was on tuesday next,as discussed.
BUT the Sow is next as soon as Dian and the baby are able to let you out SAFELY lol, especially if Johns coming too.
By the way John! Yes my new line was waiting for me when I got home!!!
Sods Law strikes again.
Well thats the memorable 18th over! its now 30 mins into the 19th and I got a Pole session with Bloodworm & Joker for the 1st time ever, if it isn't too windy!
There's always something new to learn and learning it in great Company makes it so much more enjoyable!

Cheers all

Trev

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ohhhh G'wan then John seeing as you asked so nicely

(n apart from that i need someone to show me how to do a proper pike trace)

Trev
Dian wants to know what you mean by
"BUT the Sow is next as soon as Dian and the baby are able to let you out SAFELY"????
According to her its never safe to let me out (well not for anyone else anyway)

Right babys screamin (Again) so i gotta go

Alan
You've just been moderated

Status
Not open for further replies.