A random request, vehicle wrapping - is it possible?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got a Hilux with a commercial hardtop on the back of it, basically no side windows or glass which is what I wanted for security reasons.

What I'm after doing is putting a vinyl wrap, or similar, on the side panels to make them look like dark tinted glass, purely to take the commercial vehicle look off it before using it for lugging all our stuff and my fishing tackle away on holiday, as it won't all fit in the missus car with Winston as well and I'm sure he won't be too happy if we left him behind :)

Now bouncing around my head are several ideas....

- Plain black to emulate smoked glass
- A translucent black with an image behind that resembles people sat on a bus :D (to give the effect of rows of people sat in the tub lol)
- As above but rows of dogs sat on a bus - why not be different :D
- Finally, again a translucent black to make the panels look like tinted glass, and images of fish swimming (to give the effect of a tank full of water with fish in the back)

..... does anyone know if the 2nd, 3rd and 4th options are doo-able and if so where or how I could get the images from?

To give an idea of the hardtop and panels, this is what I have at present...

1626208099007.png

this is the same canopy with glass side windows, the effect I want to create....

1626208156253.png

Something akin to this.... behind a translucent black

1626208510820.png

Or this behind the same translucent black...

1626208947183.png

PS - No I haven't been drinking :D

OldTaff

Site Supporter
There’s a ton of National and local vinyl manufacturers such as:

and they’ll put anything on any size and shape of vinyl

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
3rd option,,,,,,,, buy a new hard top
4th option ......... buy a new Hilux
5th option ........ don’t take the wife or dog (tell her that was peters idea)

Total

Site Supporter
You wanted the plain look for security reasons in the first place, now you want to draw attention to it by adding stick on's?:unsure:.....

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, I didn't want windows in the side for security reasons, now I want to take the 'commercial' look off it for a while :)

Total

Site Supporter
No, I didn't want windows in the side for security reasons, now I want to take the 'commercial' look off it for a while :)
^^Yes, I get that, I just don't get drawing attention to a vehicle especially one as nice as your truck by adorning it with sticky backed plastic!:oops:

As an example: A good friend of mine had his van decked out with fishing memorabilia via these vinyl applications.....The van was broken into twice in less than a month by nosey sods wanting to know what was inside......:( .....It's back to a plain van now.....(y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I thought wrapping companys can produce any images that ar available on the net

dont they just down load them and print it off to the sticky stuff ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pretty sure I watched Ed the mchanic going somewher and getting it done on the tellybox

A freaky coloured thing on a pinto

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pretty certain they can put anything on the vinyl, this advert seems to ageee….

C61CA379-E7A6-4E9E-B6F5-625C40234262.png

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Any good vinyl wrapping company can and will produce anything to order. They have compooter trickery which can turn an e-mailed picture into reality.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it can be printed on vinyl they can stick it on a vehicle.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The only thing you need to consider is that the images you want printing are in high enough resolution to scale up to the size you need.

Personally I’d stick with the plain black.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave, anything can be done but once you venture into one off printing whether you would want to swallow the cost is another matter. 🤣
Stick with the plain black, your wallet will love you for it. ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cost isn't an issue as I've several 'nuggets' in my trophy cabinet gathering dust :D

Seriously though, I suppose that is a factor to consider as they're not intended to be a permanent feature :)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Cost isn't an issue as I've several 'nuggets' in my trophy cabinet gathering dust :D

Seriously though, I suppose that is a factor to consider as they're not intended to be a permanent feature :)
They can do anything on vynil , another option is magnetic panel with your design .

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it's just blacked out 'windows' you want have a look online, there are companies doing the 'windows' for all sorts of vans due to the craze of 'home built' camper conversions.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I personally wouldn’t. The van/ vehicle has to be extremely clean into every nook and cranny. The wrap may look great when first done, if it’s done well. But after a few years the corners start to lift, and perhaps bubble. Then it starts to fade and looks terrible. A lot of the vehicles you see wraps on are on 3-5 year lease. They are gone before they need redoing, or look tatty.