A ramble from me

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
My thoughts on the recent "cry for help" from Dave to help with the forum updates.

I've sat and watched as the donations have rolled in, i'm blown away by the speed at which the money was raised, truly i am i was expecting it to take weeks not hours!

I was the second moderator on this site, it had only been running a few weeks when i joined and when i was asked to become a moderator i was almost embarrassed...but i just broke the forums instead [:D][:D]

I've watched this site grow, watched it go from a cheap hobby site on an unheard of server to the massive site it is today, bit like a proud uncle who has watched his brothers son rise to high profile superstardom.

When i collapsed and Dian had to give me cpr, i was signed off work with a wife, two daughters and a mortgage etc i had members offering to come and help out around the house, pay my bills so i didn't have to worry about going back to work, people i had never even met were there for me!

When my life hit rock bottom, when i felt like my world had crumbled and my heart had been ripped in two at the loss of my son.. the maggotdrowners family again rushed to my side with offers of help, sympathy and all sorts.

As daft as this may sound this site means a lot to me, probably more than it does to most and it has kept me sane, kept me going even so when Dave revealed the cost involved in the mods lounge my heart sank and i tried to think of some way i could stop this site going down...i failed but Dave thankfully came up with a plan and it has worked, worked in ways i never thought possible!

I could have joined in on the "dragons" thread and posted my thanks but sorry, that just wouldn't explain how i feel right now.

To those of you who have supported and donated, my thanks to you are immpossible to put into words but you really do have my utmost thanks and respect from the bottom of my heart, you really do.

To those newcomers, the ones who haven't been here long enough to ask for help, advice, direction or to just join in as the long standing members do, you also have my respect, you have come along, joined the forums, made a couple of posts and then, out of the goodness of your heart you have made a donation to help them survive the future.

To the site supporters, you already pay your share, you pay without quibble for the forums, you help keep it going on the day to day costs and yet when the call came you dug in once again and made further donations without a second thought.

I can only speak for myself but, i feel humbled that we have such amazing members, i am pleased that MD can mean so much to people that they are happy to help in such an amazing way.

I was going to use my little ramble to have a dig at those who use the forums without care, use the classifieds to sell stuff, who are more than happy to come on asking questions, advice etc but either refuse to pay "because it's free" or manage to find an excuse not to pay but have no problem boasting about going on the lash, buying new gear etc.... no, i'll avoid turning this into a rant and stick with my happy ramble because, at the end of the day i am sat here smiling that i am a member of a forum that has some amazing people on it.

All those who gave, all those who support...i hope you are all sat reading this with a smug grin on your faces and the same warm fuzzy feeling in your chest that i have right now...because you deserve to!

Once again, i thank you one and all for what you have done (yes Wise Owl...even you!)[;)]

Trogg (Al)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
What a lovely post, straight from the heart. I have only been on here a short while but best site ever.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well said Al.

I have been a member for a long time, ever since our meet up at Isaac Walton Fishery on that freezing December weekend in 2001. This website has always been the first one I log on to in the morning and the last one I read at night. Long may it last.

c oo ki e

o_O
nice one trogg. i may misbehave from time to time and as such get pulled on it. but i know on which side my bread is buttered and i appreciate each and every person who contributes to this forum.
it really is the best fishing/hobbyist/conspiracy/political/marriage counselling forum on the internet.
and long may it continue!
[:T]

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by c oo ki e

marriage counselling forum on the internet

So yer lass took my advice and divorced you then...erm, can i have her number [;)][:p]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Pompous git

I have only been on here a short while but best site ever.

I can't argue with that [:)]

Originally posted by Geoff P

I have been a member for a long time, ever since our meet up at Isaac Walton Fishery on that freezing December weekend in 2001. This website has always been the first one I log on to in the morning and the last one I read at night. Long may it last.

Ahhh the day we found out how hard Yorkshire men really are...when they scurried off to their nice warm beds in their comfortable B&B [;)]

It will last a lot longer now mate thanks to the kindness of some members!

c oo ki e

o_O
Originally posted by Trogg
So yer lass took my advice and divorced you then...erm, can i have her number [;)][:p]
that's really nasty and i'm surprised you said that trogg!
[:)]
funny though [:T][:)]

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing that really stood out to me was this post......

Originally posted by JonnyO

Just paid 10 via PayPal. Only an occasional user but support what youre trying to do. Keep up the good work&[;)]

He's been a member of the site since 19th August 2008 and that was his very 1st post so good on you Jonny and thank you very much.

As for Troggs post it's a sad day[:(] He;s gone bleedin soft and turned into a cuddly kittycat.[:p][:D][:D][:D]

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Its not a bad site is it, even though its full of bloody Northerners.........

c oo ki e

o_O
trogg, despite his 'hard as nails' exterior, has finally revealed that he is just as much a soft **** as we all suspected in the first place!
the secret's out mate, give us a hug!
[:D]
(please bear in mind that i am now in serious trouble!)

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Been on many forums and must admit got chucked off most, I can never understand why many political arguments
turn into nasty left versus right slanging matches. I suspect that is what most lefties want, whilst they do
not have the moral high ground they can use PC to their advantage to close down an argument. At least on here
we kiss and make up.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I understand that Dave has never tried to force members to become site supporters and as Trogg says some take advantage of that,I do think though that only supporters should be able to use the classified section.

floyd

man of rage
Originally posted by Maesknoll

sheesh lmao, and Trogg well said mate[:T][:T][:T][:T]

c oo ki e

o_O
Originally posted by Maesknoll

hmmn. looking at the state of the south recently.
maybe that's not such a bad thing!?
[:)]

c oo ki e

o_O
by donating, you help to pay the costs of running and maintaining the site or indeed lose it all forever.
it's your choice!
simple really.

Last edited:

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well as the Baby Mod (I've only been a member since 2007), I'm so pleased that we're on this journey. I fell into being a mod when I ended up doing a lot of the organising of a big fish-in at Lindholme (and fished with about a dozen of us on the specimen lake...and blanked for 3 days...), alongside 2 days of other matches on other lakes. That was when the Site Supporter was launched.

In the time I've been a member, I've been regularly driven insane, sworn repeatedly, learned a lot, sworn some more, met so many other anglers, fished in places I would never have had the opportunity to otherwise, thrown my toys out the pram, learned some more, and laughed a lot. Long may it continue!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Nice one Trogg... well said[:T]

c oo ki e

o_O
Originally posted by Yuccaman
In the time I've been a member, I've been regularly driven insane, sworn repeatedly, learned a lot, sworn some more, met so many other anglers, fished in places I would never have had the opportunity to otherwise, thrown my toys out the pram, learned some more, and laughed a lot.
sums it up perfectly.
we have fun and share advice and opinions.
no probs.
[:)][:T]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
**** me the aliens have landed and nicked our Trogg [:eek:]

Bring him back, I can't cope with his passion and heartfelt feelings [;)]

Seriously though, a nice heart warming post [:T]