A Question of Elastic's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

I know something similar to this was put up a few months ago but what are everyone's opinion on the various types of Pole Lacy that you have used.

We have the following 3 types at present.

Normal Elastic..
Pure Latex......
Hydro Elastic...

Personaly i use Normal Elastic from size's 4 to 20 for all my fishing but lately a lot of people have been singing the praises of Pure Latex & Hydro.

I know alot of people think Hydro @ 15 per top kit is dear but when you think it last's for ages (i know people that's had it in their pole for 2years+) and at present i change my elastic about every 6 to 8 weeks which @ about 2 a kit works out to about the cost of Hydro, (so cost is not such a factor).

Trouble is IMO that both Hydro & Latex both stretch way to much compared to what i'm using at the moment and as my style of fishing on the pole is to hook and hold and stop the initial run before it starts (and as Normal elastic does not stretch so much this is possible).

From what i'm told Hydro stretches upto 12x's it's own length and Latex about 8x's it's own length where as the normal stuff i use only stretches about 4x's.

This make's me feel that i have more control over the fish when hooked and in practise i've watched people fishing on a top 3 and having to add 3 or 4 sections to their pole to net fish on both Hydro and Latex due to them both stretching way to much.

So come on everybody which type of elastic do you use and why do you prefer it over the newer type's (ignore the cost factor).

I know some of you may say use a Mulleto type fitting with normal elastic but that is not an option as IMO they dont suit my style of fishing.

What i'm after is a way to get the fish in a bit quicker and not gain extra stretch (if that makes sense)[:)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING

ray

hiya malc, tried both black and white hydro at w/acres (got given it)
imo its to soft, didnt like it at all, using the white in open water seemed ok, very forgiving, no bumped fish.
but when i used it near to some lilys i found that even small carp (lb) could gain enough to reach them.

same with the black, when fishing next to some reeds due to the stretch factor i couldnt get them away quick enough were as if i am using say a no14 lazzy i would have had more control.

so for me its back to plain lazzy.

never tried latex (oy troggy no comments) so cant really comment.

funny thing is, janet used my pole with the black hydro and liked it better, but she was fishing in open water???

so in my opinion, hydro is ok for use in open water but plain lazzy gives you more control.

a fool and his litter are soon parted.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Preston Fluro for me.

Settled on it a couple of seasons ago,and it does everything that i want of it.
It's horses for courses really,but i'm totally confident using it.
I always use the preston bungs with the built in winders which gives me the opportunity to fine tune the tension and can carry enough spare elastic to enable you to retie the stonfo if you find any wear.
(i normally find if there is any wear it's round the stonfo.)

The other thing i do differently is with regard to lubrication.(Don't go there[;)])
I use STP Son of a Gun,but instead of spraying it through the top kits I do it the following way.......
As soon as i get a new winder of elastic home i strip it off the winder and soak it in Son of a Gun for a couple of hours,then it's taken out and put into the airing cupboard to dry ouy completly,then it's put back on the winder ready for use.
Once its in the top kit all it needs is water to get things running sweetly.(it works for me[8D])

Having said all this ,nearly all my fishing is done with elastics from 6-14.If i was using smaller elastics (grades 1-4) i would be tempted to try the Pure Latex as the extra stretch might give you a little more leeway with bonus fish.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Prestons for me at the moment up to 14s and a 20 in the drag'n'net for drayton.However seriously thinking of changing to hydro for carp fishing now that different grades are available.The only thing i am confused about is how to fish with it with a fish on as i am told it works differently to normal laccy.Never tried latex so cannot comment but have read good things in the lower strengths.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

scoobs11

i'm gonna try the white hydro in the near future for small stuff.

seen a couple of people pull out of fish using the black so i'm gonna give that a miss .

just given up on the middy laccy as it seems to get damaged too easily for my liking.

cant remember what the stuff i'v just bought is but it looks like some i bought years ago that was very good so i'll report back when i have a look at the packet.(size 16 )

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

scoobs11

forgot to say most of my fishing is hit and hold so dont fancy the pure latex stuff as too stretchy.

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

Status
Not open for further replies.