A Question For The Moderators....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimmyfish

I'm quite new to this forum, and quite new to fishing and do find this forum mostly informative, and entertaining at times.
And while I understand that a forum is a place for exchanging informative and useful information, and the Clubhouse is a place to discuss anything and everything, and that everyone is entitled to their opinions, I do feel that some of the comments on certain posts recently could have been moderated a little more closely.
I refer in particular to several recent posts concerning the subject of 'Immigrants', whether illegal or otherwise.
I think that some of the language used by members to express their opinion (examples being 'dirty polish c****, 'greasy b*******)or any other derogatory term is downright disgusting and insensitive.
I don't think the people who post this offensive rubbish stop to think about whether any of the members of this forum may be from any of the countries mentioned or at the very least of a foreign descent.
I also notice on various posts the comments about 'Chavs'.
With some of the comments posted in this forum I am afraid they are among us, using 'chav' talk about the violence they would like to use against others given half a chance. So they want to be like the 'immigrants' that apparently are "behind any trouble in this country??"
So the British 'Chavs' aren't then??
My point is, fine, have an opinion, but surely this can be expressed in a more sensitive way?
And maybe the moderators could edit posts containing these derogatory terms?
And before you think I am a political correctness warrior gone nuts or something, I'm not, I just find racism and violence disgusting, and anyone who promotes it ignorant.[:(!]

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Hi Shimmy

Yes, we have our fair share of idiots [:)]

The moderators are not on-line all the time, but there is a flagging system set up for anyone wishing to contact them urgently.

If you want to alert a moderator, click on the red flag icon above the post you have concerns about.

A moderator will magically appear, just like the shop-keeper on Mr Ben, and take any action he thinks is appropriate.

Last edited:

shimmyfish

Thanks NoFinphish.
Yes, I know about the red flag system but would be here all night flagging up some of the comments!
I just thought it might be better if the moderators caught some of these awful comments before they made it to the public domain [:)]

phil-k

I would also like to point out that jokes about the Irish being thick is racist.
When I joined the forum the terms and conditions are;

You agree to not use any part to:

upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

There are a vast number of people of Irish decent in England and indeed all over the world and why would you want to offend them is beyond me.[?]
So why are Irish jokes not banned[?]See the corner peg theres plenty.

RedNeckAngling

9ft is too long
Originally posted by NoFinPhish

A moderator will magically appear, just like the shop-keeper on Mr Ben, and take any action he thinks is appropriate.

[:D][:D][:D][:D] Thanks for taking me back in time [;)]

CaRp Kidd

Speedy
Originally posted by phil-k

I would also like to point out that jokes about the Irish being thick is racist.
When I joined the forum the terms and conditions are;

You agree to not use any part to:

upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

There are a vast number of people of Irish decent in England and indeed all over the world and why would you want to offend them is beyond me.[?]
So why are Irish jokes not banned[?]See the corner peg theres plenty.

Hi i dont think they should be banned some of them are funny bet even the irish laugh at them
But why didnt you mention the Blonde people jokes then they are basically the same singleing people out but mate some of them are funny arent they lol i do see your point though

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Phil, drawing a line is very difficult.

If you ban everything, it's very hard to find anything to joke about [:)] And one of the good things on this site is that most of us can give and take a joke. My family are Welsh, I don't get bothered when someone posts a joke about the Welsh, that would just be over-sensitivity in my view.

I don't even mind it when quivertip says derogatory things about the best football club in Bristol [:D]

In my job, I get asked to use 'managers discretion' all the time.
Basically it means I am being asked to put my gonads on the chopping board and draw my own line that some others will disagree with.

The mods get that privelage too. Personally I think they draw a pretty fair line (apart from my rhyme being edited the other week [:(!][;)])

You'll be saying we can't take the mickey out of metalforever next [:D]

Butch

Account Locked
Ohhhhh nooooo, another political correctness warrior gone nuts............

phil-k

The firm I work for have employed people from every race in the world and I can honestly say everyone has always got on very well without feeling the need to make fun of the other persons race.

If people carry on getting away with bad behaviour it will become the norm.

Its the same with the bad language.Just because the word is spelt differently its ok.But everyone knows what the writer is implying and so its no wonder that kids think its acceptable when they see 'grown ups' using that language.Kids are not 'thick' and know just as well that your swearing.I wouldn't want my daughter reading some of the garbage on here.

Some have said MD's is like a pub.Well it isnt, it is much more public than a pub so lets not let standards slip too far eh.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Being a keyboard jedi / warrior essentially means you dont agree and/or have challenged something you disagree with thats been posted.

The term is funny as it also assumes you wouldnt tackle the yo yos making the 'warrior' statements direct...its a sort of defence mechanism on the part of the ignorant.

I have learned to ignore the 'bless this house' threads mate. Stick to the fishing elements of the forum and you will be fine.

Its a generation (or education?)thing mate.

norm

sorry i have took so long to reply but i have been searching posts looking for these words you use

and guess what i can't (apart from 1 post by one person)

can yo PM me were they are?

i will have to speak to other MODS to see what we should do if yo can (or CAN NOT find them)

norm

i know about that one

thats the 1 in my post

there are thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts

and we can only come up with 1 post

no body's perfect

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
While I can understand you point Shimmy, I also think you might be being a little over sensitive.

Yes, having a go at all immigrants in general is not really the sort of thing you should post on a public forum.[V]

BUT.....

Unfortunately, you can see why some have a very dim view of them.

For example, in my area, we have had a massive influx within the last few years, some many that the council are now planning to build a load of flats which will look directly into my back garden, specially to house them!

Dont jump down my throat for that statement, Im not complaining about who it is for, its the fact that the residents will be looking down into my back garden, therefore losing ALL my privacy!

My point is, that these sort of stories are the ones that get twisted, and those that have a real problem with immigrants grab them and use them as ammo against them.

I could go on forever about all the "fish theft" stories that have been posted on here lately, but thats been done now.
Ive even made comments about that myself, but I dont think Ive ever been offensive, just stated facts as I have seen them.

So you can see why there are some that appear to be racist/insensitive, whatever you like to call it.

People dont like too much change too quickly, and it unsettles them.

All said and done, its the usual story of the few giving the many a bad name....its never going to change, no matter how many laws, rules and bans you put in place, people are entitled to think what they like, whether it be right or wrong.

Posting those views is not always the best thing to do, but as has been said before on many similar posts to yours,

If you dont like it, dont read it.
Also, if there are certain people that continually get on your nerves, use your personal prefs thingy, and put them on your "ignore" list![;)]

As for all the stuff about the Irish, Welsh etc.

Ok some comments can be offensive, I personally enjoy a good joke, and take them exactly as that...A joke.

If I was aperson that took jokes or comments about what I was too seriously, Id have hung myself long ago........Im 6ft6, to most Im just another bloke on the street, but all my life others have seen it as an excuse to try to bully me, take the mick, and some have even used it as an excuse to pick a fight with me![B)][:0]

It doesnt bother me in the slightest...."They re just jealous" is my way of thinking, and if they are taking the mick, I laugh along with them.[:D]

Steve.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
P.S
Ive tried to put my comments as best as I possbly can without being offensive.

If anyone has taken offense, I appologise now.
And you can quite happily spank.gif me!

Zebedee

I'm not racist...in fact I go out of my way to be perfectly fair....I hate everybody [;)]

norm

Originally posted by Cybermanc

Norm,

Perhaps the previous ones have been modded already[;)]

so you can not get much better moderation than that

Status
Not open for further replies.