A question for the Matchman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry_Monk

Ive been experimenting recently with far bank pole floats and I wondered what you fellas have been using.

Ideally im looking for fishing a 4x10(ish) float thats easily visible at 14.5/16m, even when dotted, is stable enough to not to get dragged under by movement because im fishing around 2 foot of water, yet sensitive enough to register bites from the shy bites, ow and sturdy enough to go through the mill a bit as well!

A big ask I know, but Im just curious to see what people are using, ive tried a few from the KC Carpa range such as Carpa 1's, bullys, powers and im not completely satisfied with any of them.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated

pegasus

benny
malman snake 4 or cedar, elvis,or my fav malman adams.
what bait will it be for

Nev101

Bogs Dalls
Hillbillys are what you need.

http://www.hillbillyfloats.co.uk/index-2.html

slf

NUFC
malman snakes 2 is what i use, strong and robust and are very sensitive

Harry_Monk

Its for mainly pellet/ sweetcorn work, Ive had a look at the malman/ hillbilly options and really that was what prompted the post. The malman snake 4 look OK and although the hillbilly floats look really well made and strong they dont look sensitive enough (ideally im looking for something like more slender version of the ratcatcher 2).

The Chimps are Ok, not as strong as they sound and I think there better for open water swims

Keep the suggestions coming as they are all helpful

Harry_Monk

keith they look interesting I might have a look at them, have you used them much and if so what size tip have you preferred 2mm or 2.5mm

hempy

Alan
Can some one enlighten me as to why you need a sensitive float when fishing for carp in shallow water. In my experience fish when feeding in 2 foot of water are on a suicide mission and will rip off with any float you attach to the line, in fact many anglers fish the floating pole in this depth of water, ie, no float at all...[?]

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
i use these http://www.mavermatch.co.uk/uploads/com_catalogue/images/H1200.jpg

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have been using the BGT1 from here http://www.buygoodtackle.com/Floats.html

39 carp yesterday most of them on these from the far bank.

mackem374

Another vote for the Malman snake 4, with the yellow tip, can see it EASILY ,will do the job very well----------

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by hempy

Can some one enlighten me as to why you need a sensitive float when fishing for carp in shallow water. In my experience fish when feeding in 2 foot of water are on a suicide mission and will rip off with any float you attach to the line, in fact many anglers fish the floating pole in this depth of water, ie, no float at all...[?]

I'm with Hempy here - if a sensitive float is needed how come the Pellet Waggler is such a successful method, as are the Korum Blobs?

The Pellet Wags are after all nothing more than a pencil float and are by design made to offer a lot of resistance to aid self hooking

Ste F

For nearly all fishing across I use 4x10 Carpa Chimps with a yellow top.

Genus9

For up in the water I use Preston PB Carp2 4x10 and 4x12,

For far bank work I use a Preston Bazzerla P1 4x10 in 2-3ft of water and Preston Durafloat 10 Bazzerla 4x10,

For Me they do the job intended,

I understand that all these hand made floats have a big following but to Me a float is a floating bite indicater and shotted correctly will go under with the fish feeling no resistance.

wokkie

Riccardo El Paxo
Originally posted by Harry_Monk

Ive been experimenting recently with far bank pole floats and I wondered what you fellas have been using.

Ideally im looking for fishing a 4x10(ish) float thats easily visible at 14.5/16m, even when dotted, is stable enough to not to get dragged under by movement because im fishing around 2 foot of water, yet sensitive enough to register bites from the shy bites, ow and sturdy enough to go through the mill a bit as well!...
I use the Garbolino DC13(0.1g) a lot when fishing canal far bank for all the skimmers shy bite or commercial F1 shy bites.Have a look at the DC13 or the DC6[:T] http://www.harrisonstackle.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Garbolino_203.html#aDS12

Boggis51

tailgunner
Site Supporter
Do the Nick Gilbert Ghandis have a picture of Keith on every one? (only joking) good floats for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.