A question for centre pin users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishhead

toon barmy
I'm thinking of taking the handles off my pin as most of my tangles seem to be around the handles. Does anyone actually do this and would you recommend it?

Towpath Tyke

I haven't tried it myself, but as long as it doesn't loosen anything else I think it would be fine. I never use the handles myself I just flick the drum so it could be a good step forward.

Chavender

Steve
i fish without handles when ever i can , through bitter painfull experiance of having my knuckles split to the bone by the handles whipping around on a taking fish .i prefer reels with holes in the front or around the rim as i'b a bit of a twizzler .Batting the drum is also a option (and having your reel facing the other way !).

to twizzle one mearly places your left Index finger either into the rim in a indent or small hole and spin the spool directly (more natual than gripping a handle which can cause cramp) or push your finger into a hole or open area on the facia of the spool and twirl.

boots_n_braces

fishing eccentric
ive done it on all of my mine apart from the 2 i use for piking and carping when you simply can get enoguh leverage especially in the when just by gipping the drum when your trying to play a fish.

other than that it wont solve all your tangles, the tangles are slack curls of line slipping over the side of the spool they just get jammed around the reel handle instead. your best bet is to keep practicing and if your really struggling attach something across the spool as a line guard so it can physically run off the sides.

luremad

Barbelus Maximus
i had the option of having a centrepin without the handles i opted to have mine with handles i dont really think it would matter.

hempy

Alan
I use an Adcock Stanton and it has never had handles fitted. For pin fishing i dont see the need.

hempy

Alan
Originally posted by fishhead

Is it differcult to play big fish without handles?

not at all, you just use the drum rim as a break by using finger or thumb pressure. It can get a bit hot sometimes though.

Paul_D

I'd leave them on personally. Batting back all day if long trotting is hard work, especially if the water is streamy. Just occasionally I 'rest' and wind in with the handles.

rockland

The wider drummed reels are more suited to fishing without handles as they seem to have larger holes near to the rim for insertion of fingers, and the width obviously aids in faster retrieve as you "bat" the float up the peg. You,ll soon get use to using fingers its easy enough.Have the line off the top of the reel,and remember you,ll have to wind anti clockwise, but you,ll soon find it easy, and less "twiddly".But i should imagine if you have a spoked reel it may be more awkward than the reels with the larger holes near to the rim.Keep up the noble art no nicer way of fishing.

Paul_D

Nooooooo. Line off the bottom - as it should be! [:D][:D][:D] Cue discussion.

fishhead

toon barmy
I can fit my finger in the holes or spokes and I can actually retrieve the line a lot quicker than using the handles. I'm going for a session on the river on Monday so I've taken the handles off and I'll give it a try.

hempy

Alan
Originally posted by Paul_D

Nooooooo. Line off the bottom - as it should be! [:D][:D][:D] Cue discussion.

Discussion on Paul....With the line off the top it is pointing straight down the rod eyes and hence slightly less friction on the butt eye. Also when "batting" you will not have the line near your hand to get caught in as it is up near the rod out of the way...

I cant think of any advantage of having the line off the bottom.

Paul_D

Two advantages of having the line off the bottom straight away to counter.

1. It's more natural to reel in an anti-clockwise direction...as in a fixed spool stylie.

2. End of trot, rod comes up to vertical and to retrieve you bat in a downward motion, thus you have gravity on your side in terms of what inertia is imparted by the spool.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
I bought a Speedia Centre Pin in 1961 and took the handles off it the minute I got it home.

I still have the reel and it's still without handles, who needs 'em anyway.

To retrieve line, draw the rod back and bat the spool to retrieve line on the downwards movement, rather like sea fishing, lift and wind down.

Rim pressure applied by the fingers is far better than any clutch mechanism, if anyone gets tangles with a pin it will be because of the over run effect, eradicate it by clicking on the drag when you dont need it to spool off.

Use the drag as a safeguard only to stop free spin.

Stourman

I prefer handles left on.

Also after 40+ years of using 'pins, I just can't get used to "line off the top". Always had it "off the bottom" and it's 2nd nature to me now.

For sheer enjoyment and satisfaction I'll use the centrepin as much as possible. May not be the most efficient or appropriate reel for the job, but I just love using them!

Chavender

Steve
originally centrepins was fished with the line off the top off the spool and had the reels face the other way ! (handles to the right!) but then the guys at nottingham decided that was pants and switched to having it come off the bottom and now the majority of people have theres the same way as its more natural & efficiant.and these days its customary for right handed people to have thier handles face to the left

phil-k

[:D]Just got back from the river.

I tried my line coming off the bottom last time on my pin and didn't like it at all.[:(]Lots of tangles with line round the back of the pin.

Just been using the pin for the last couple of hours with the line coming off the top and it worked like a dream.[:D][:D]

I am now a very happy chappy.[8D]Thanks to whoever suggested it.
beer-toast1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.