A Question for all you pikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Site Supporter
Evening all, i've decided to enter my clubs annual pike match this weekend, but having not pike fished fora while, i'm looking for a few extra tips. Its a natural reservoir with an average head of pike from 5 - 20lbs. My intended plan is to freeline a lamprey section about 10 - 15 metres from the bank at the base of the near shelf, and then fish a roach deadbait (popped up) ledgered at about 30 - 40 yards.
Does this sound a good plan? Any comments greatly appreciated. thumbsup.gif

HEY DUDE............
afro.gif

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Sounds like a good starting point. If the winds favorable try a drifted dead bait.
You can vary the depth at which the popped up bait is fished, start say at the length of the trace then after 30 mins pay out another foot and so on.
Re cast one or both baits frequently to search the swim.
If allowed try lures or wobbled deadbaits.

chill out go fishing

martin.

Account Locked
sorry if i cant give exact distances but my approach would be under normal rules i fish
( aca british pike match rules which include a no livebait rule)
1st set up your 2 main rods depending on conditions ect but set a third rod up with a spinner/plug at start cast this one out to either right or left to roughly halfway between you & next peg say start to right (@2oclock)slowley working in a fan kep casting/retrieving in an arc till you get round to 10 oclockthen all the way back. this way you could takethe first pike or possibly the niose/atraction will bring pike in from adjoining pegs then start on the wait & see game but do same again 1 rod either way r & l
every 20mins (approx)move your baitsso you eventualy cover all your swim. But always work from outside inalso truy a change of bait occasionly

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
martin - if you are setting up a lure rod, it might be a good idea to set up a second and rig it with a very different appearing lure. Often if you get a missed strike and can immediately throw something different to the same place (well - past it a little) the fish will do a better job on the 2nd lure.

Newt Vail

martin.

Account Locked
hi newt
i normaly have my lures attached
reel line tied to 20" wire tracethis in turn connected to lure with link swivel this way it is as quick to change lure as to pick up a second rod. it also saves space/wieght

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

matt

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice, good idea to recast regularly to search the swim[:D]

HEY DUDE............

EJAYAR

Hi, Lamprey is my favourite bait for medium sized Pike. I do tend to put half a Lamprey out frozen and then leave it where I put it. As it thaws it oozes blood and has been my most effective bait.
I usually only move the second dead bait or as previous posts suggest put out a spinner or selection of lures.

Beebs

Be prepared to vary your presentation. Me and a mate learned this yesterday. Fishing was a bit slow, about 1 run each. After changing to suspended dead bait, it went crazy. Run after run came. Close of play - 6 fish on the bank, 3 lost & about 15 runs between us. Float fished dead baits flat on the bottom didn't get so much as a touch in spite of being in prime pike hideaways. Just goes to show what a small difference can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.