A poor Tench session

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think I've only fished Himley Hall, my local estate lake, once before this late in the season. It was last year with my dad and the Tench were slow then too, but made up for slightly by decent Roach including a 2lber to my dad.

My dad said to me last night, "I bet you'll do rubbish tommorow".

"Why?" I ask.
"Because you're excited about it" he said.

He's right that normally jinxes a session, but I hadn't mentioned anything about being excited, in fact I expected it to be hard on the Tench front. I was kind of excited though, as I've spent all summer at the park with Tench being a secondary fish to Crucians, it would be nice to target them again, even if I didn't expect anywhere near the results I got in spring.

On arrival at the the estate, there had been an event on yesterday and it still looked pretty chaotic with cars parked everywhere, presumably left overnight, and litter everywhere. Everyone who walked past in the morning was talking about all the litter that had been left, calling it a 'rave event', but the litter was cleared up during the day.

I settled for a peg more or less halfway along the wall, to the left of the lilies, not too shallow, not too deep.

2022-08-07 12.21.42.jpg

The water is normally gin clear early season, but had a milky green colour to it today, maybe that would help in the full sun. A few bubbles were showing early morning as I started fishing at 8am, but a breeze soon picked up and the ripple on the water obscured them.

Even on good days it can take an hour or so for the Tench to start to show, so I wasn't too worried I'd only had a Perch before I had my first Tench at 9.33am. Only a small average sized on for the lake, but would it open the floodgates to more?

2022-08-07 09.33.38.jpg

Turns out it didn't. I had a couple of nice Roach straight after but then started to catch Perch.

At about 12pm I went on a longer line and found a pocket of Roach. Not too bad, I had a few of them in drips and drabs.

2022-08-07 15.05.03.jpg

I ended up coming short again about 4pm when the shadow started to show on the lake from the tree line and setting sun.

I had a few more Roach but more Perch and at 7pm I text my dad to tell him it was my last cast.

Low and behold I had a Tench, so small I thought it was another Perch. Probably the smallest I've caught from this lake at just over a pound, and not exactly the last minute big girl I hoped for.

2022-08-07 19.06.04.jpg

One last last cast and another Roach leaving me with a final tally of 2 Tench, 15 Roach and about 30 Perch. The Roach and Perch were all decent stamp, but not many Tench at all.

My mate from the park was meant to come today but had to sort some stuff out at work at the yard this morning, so ended up just going to the park for a couple of hours this evening. I wished him luck, told him to catch a Crucian for me, and also mentioned that he didn't really miss much!

I think this will be my last session targeting Tench on this lake this year now, so roll on next spring if it will be as good as this year's was.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like a decent session to be fair.
The Roach kept me ticking over, can take or leave the Perch. :LOL: But a fish is a fish and a bite is a bite at the end of the day.

This lake used to have Crucians 20 years ago, but rumour has it the numerous Pike ate them all. I got bit off by a Jack which took maggot today, forgot to mention, but I'd fish it as much as the park throughout summer if it still had Crucians. (y)

steve533

I used to fish Himley about 10 years ago, caught some nice crucians on float fished corn to 2lb by the lillys on the wall side. When i read your post in the spring and the tench i went back. Its a pain to get to for me.

Fished there Friday (peg 26) on the float and maggots with one out on corn and had lots of perch, few roach and two tench on corn. Whats your method as you seem to be the expert on Himley (along with an older guy named Ron who was giving me lots of tips back in the spring.

Thanks - steve

satinet

The Roach kept me ticking over, can take or leave the Perch. :LOL: But a fish is a fish and a bite is a bite at the end of the day.

This lake used to have Crucians 20 years ago, but rumour has it the numerous Pike ate them all. I got bit off by a Jack which took maggot today, forgot to mention, but I'd fish it as much as the park throughout summer if it still had Crucians. (y)
I like catching perch if they're not tiny.

I wouldn't have pegged it as a prime tench day. Not round here anyway it's been high 20s and very sunny.

Best to judge your fishing days on how they compare to work. Good day at work is worse than a bad day fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I used to fish Himley about 10 years ago, caught some nice crucians on float fished corn to 2lb by the lillys on the wall side. When i read your post in the spring and the tench i went back. Its a pain to get to for me.

Fished there Friday (peg 26) on the float and maggots with one out on corn and had lots of perch, few roach and two tench on corn. Whats your method as you seem to be the expert on Himley (along with an older guy named Ron who was giving me lots of tips back in the spring.

Thanks - steve
Am no expert mate considering I've only fished it for a couple of years, but happy to chat to another angler who fishes it!

If you see a guy called Richard that's always walking round chatting to the anglers there, he's a top bloke and loves and lives the place. He'll always be there on the float similar to you, maggots and corn. Corn because you can get a bit further out when the water is still clear early in the year when it seems to fish best (late May early June pre Spawning munch time). He fishes a feeder like me sometimes though.

What I do is a maggot feeder helicopter rig. Just one of the Korum Ready Heli Rig kits and a Black Cap feeder about 20-25m out caught me a lot of fish in May this year, so that's what I did today, but with the extra colour in the water and being later in the year, I did wonder if I should have packed a float rod and corn.

I was on peg 24 today btw so a similar area. I think it gets deeper the further to the left of the wall you get.