A pleasant surprise at Kilworth Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
I havent been there for a while, and as I had the afternoon off, it would have been rude not to go somewhere.

When I turned up, I found myself being the only one on the whole complex[:)]

I headed to the snake lake and chose peg 3. Theres a small tree to the left that holds a few better fish, and as the weather was a bit on the funny side, the far bank only being 8 meters away made it comfortable to fish to.

I started off down the track at around 5 mtrs and potted in a few pellets, along with a handful of wrigglers, then dropped another pot of maggots only, on the far bank.

On the 5mtr line, I had a few liners on paste, but after 5 mins, I was getting a steady run of stockies.

I noticed that the far bank swim was clouding up well, and obviously alive with fish, so decided to give it a go.

In went a blob of paste, and 5 seconds later my laccy was streaming across the lake!

First victim from the far swim was a common of around 3 lb[;)]

I carried on with the better stamp of fish comming to paste on the far bank, then I had an odd sort of bite, and the float dipped, then rose to the surface and laid flat.
It didnt move for ages. so I lifted the pole, and felt some slight resistance thinking.gif

The fish didnt really give much of a fight, and came in easily.

I was surprised when I slipped the net under this "bonus" fish.

Datafile11.jpg
Sorry, mobile phone pic[:(]

I think its a Fantail, but I have a sneaky suspicion it might be a hybrid with a Common, but it was still a lovely fish, and though in the pic it doesnt look that big, it went over 2 lb![:0]

Definately the biggest "Fantail" Ive ever seen let alone caught[:D]

A very welcome visitor to the net, on a very changable day[^]

Oh and I had loads of Commons and Mirrors from 8oz to 8lb too!

Alot of people dont rate Kilworth, but Ive never been dissapointed, and always had a good net of fish.

All in all an afternoon well spent[:D][:D]

Bill G

Grandad
we have some hybridised fantails in one of our club waters they go to about lb5 and as you say the fight isnt what you would call lively
they do look nice though

danny_01

I've fished Kilworth twice this year (both sessions were last month) and I've had two great days pleasure fishing.

The trouble with the place and the baliff will tell you also is that its not a great match venue. It just seems that when the lakes are put under pressure they fail to produce big weights.

They recently have stocked alot of small carp into the Snake lake and give it a few years it'll be a top venue I'm quite sure of that.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Danny, thats what I like about the place.

I think thats the problem with alot of match anglers(myself included sometimes lol), they want massive weights, and easy fishing.

They dont want to have to think too hard about their approach lol.

I spoke to the bailiff, and he was surprised I had had as many fish as I did.

Just goes to show eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.