A not so reasonable day on the Thames..

adriang

Site Supporter
Fished the Thames at Tadpole on Sunday with some hopes the roach would be showing same as @Silverfisher was experiencing downstream, and I'd managed a couple, including a single one on tares during a cheeky evening session last week.

I fished peg 31, a new swim for me, at the beginning of a series of bends, and I had a nice crease in front of me, and the far bank had a few overhanging trees. It was deeper than I expected under my feet. As I learnt the hard way, seems thats due to boat traffic and the line they take to navigate the bends. (one t**t was close enough, and going so fast that he nearly took out my keepnet).

IMG_7022.jpeg

Set up a 13ft Normark Microlight with a 506m with Jaxon mainline to fish a stickfloat, and a 13ft Harrison GTi with a 506m and 2lb Maxima to fish the waggler which I did leave in the tree on the opposite bank! Bait was maggots and hemp and tares.

IMG_7021.jpeg

Unfortunately not a sniff of any roach. I couldn't get through the bleak when using maggots, and didn't get a sniff on either hemp or tares. I do tend to fiddle with shotting and depth a lot while fishing, and no matter what I tried, just couldn't get anywhere, even when I stopped feeding anything but hemp.

With an hour to go, I decided to get out a 4 metre whip and do some bit bashing to see if the activity might bring some other fish into play and hopefully push the bits out. It was more of an experiment, I did start to get a few dace a little further out. That was far as I could reach with the whip, and if I had intended on staying longer, I would have set up a longer whip to make it easier.

I did put a few in the net, but the only time I used my landing net was to retrieve a pot of split shot I dropped into the margins.

IMG_7023.jpeg

Looking back on the session, I could have tried the pole with an olivette with the idea of trying to get the bait undamaged into the deeper water, although I did try a bulk of shot on the stick during my experimenting.

Will probably go down there again this week, but will probably try a different swim.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
How odd eh mate weird how they can be properly onto the seed here but not up there. I do wonder if it’s to do with it being more heavily fished around Oxford therefore they see a lot more seed so switch onto it earlier. Or could just be more roach here I guess with perhaps the general size and habitat of the river here being more suited to them than it is up there. Is a bit of a strange one 🤔

adriang

Site Supporter
How odd eh mate weird how they can be properly onto the seed here but not up there. I do wonder if it’s to do with it being more heavily fished around Oxford therefore they see a lot more seed so switch onto it earlier. Or could just be more roach here I guess with perhaps the general size and habitat of the river here being more suited to them than it is up there. Is a bit of a strange one 🤔
Last year I started catching on the 10th July (still got a pic on my phone), and it picked up from then.. But we'll keep at it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Last year I started catching on the 10th July (still got a pic on my phone), and it picked up from then.. But we'll keep at it.
Interesting isn’t it how it seems later up there. I first caught them on it last year on the 22nd of June and then caught a few on it each session from then until my first genuinely good catch of them on it on the 6th of July. Then this year after my first session on the 19th produced none on it I didn’t fish the river again until the really good catch on Fridays session which was obviously the 9th and they were and truly on it then. I had been seeing reports that people had been catching well on it for about a week before that though so I assume they properly switched onto it at the start of July much the same time as last year.

Ausho

Site Supporter
Haven't fished hemp for roach in years. Will have to give it a go on the Warwickshire Avon near Stratford soon. I remember a session on the Avon at Pensham where I caught on maggot but got hammered by my old fishing partner Pete the fish RIP we went everywhere at every chance we got. Never forgave him passing, fishing was not the same for a good few years. He was pulling out quality roach in mint condition. I sat behind him to watch. He did loose feed some hemp but most of his feed was mixed in his ground bait. A walnut size ball every swim resulted in a 14lb bag of all roach to hemp on the hook. Bless him it was the best bag of fish I had ever seen him catch.

adriang

Site Supporter
Haven't fished hemp for roach in years. Will have to give it a go on the Warwickshire Avon near Stratford soon. I remember a session on the Avon at Pensham where I caught on maggot but got hammered by my old fishing partner Pete the fish RIP we went everywhere at every chance we got. Never forgave him passing, fishing was not the same for a good few years. He was pulling out quality roach in mint condition. I sat behind him to watch. He did loose feed some hemp but most of his feed was mixed in his ground bait. A walnut size ball every swim resulted in a 14lb bag of all roach to hemp on the hook. Bless him it was the best bag of fish I had ever seen him catch.
I've had a couple of great sessions on the recreation ground stretch in Stratford right at the end of the season (not on hemp!). I need to fish the Avon more often really..