A Non Fishing, Fishing Adventure

Robwooly

With the tackle shops now open I needed a few bits plus some maggots on the off chance that I can squeeze in a few short sessions down the canal in the next week or two. I have no car so I set off on the three mile walk there via the post office to post my stuff.

The town however was mad, there was queues everywhere, I must admit to not liking crowds much so couldn't get my head around it, there were big queues out of most the shops but the biggest was saved for the countries largest budget clothing store. It reminded me of the old days queuing round the block for the cinema to see Indiana Jones, however the people today were Raiders of the Lost Primark.

Walking past the local hospital my thoughts go to my dad who I will be taking down to a much bigger badder one later in the week, It puts a long walk into perspective as I trudge up a steep hill. I ask a woman if I am walking in the right direction as I cut through a park, she is Polish and doesn't even recognise the road or area name but when I mention fishing shop she goes "Ah yes fishing shop that way"

I get to the tackle shop to find it quite quiet, I think everyone was at the hairdressers judging by the queue there, having hereditary hair loss has it's advantages as I got some fine maggots and a few floats whilst the follically unchallenged waited for a haircut. I rest my dodgy knee courtesy of a bench before the three miles back, I know I'm going to regret this walk tomorrow but hey ho it could be worse, at least the walk back is downhill, my mind wanders to big chub and perch but then I wake up knowing it will likely all be gudgeon.

Back in the town centre the masses were now out in numbers and I couldn't get through there quick enough, it was like Oxford Street although If anyone tried to dip my bag they would get one hell of a shock. The queues outside the clothes shops were now just daft, that's my ideal of hell, more like The Temple of Doom. I made The Last Crusade back to the Kingdom of The Crystal Waggler (Ok that last one was pants but you try fitting a film franchise into a fishing thread) stopping off at the canal bridge where a few nice bream sauntered by, whetting the appetite and constituting the sole fishing element of this thread - sorry about that.

Still, the end justifies the means.

IMG_1298.JPG

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have done similar, had to go to boots to pick up a prescription, most shops seem OK but ques to get into all womans clothes shops and the que for primani is absolutely massive

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice Bronze and Reds - almost like Willy Worms Disco Maggots. :afro: Caught me a lot of Tench on those colours when I tried them. My parents went to Kidderminster first thing this morning to exchange some Christmas gifts at Marks and Spencer, first time they'd been open, and said it wasn't that busy. I'm dreading how busy the roads will be when I get a job to go to. Usually have to go M6, M5, M42 and they haven't seemed much difference all through lockdown.

Robwooly

All that walking and those crowds yesterday was worth it in the end, popped down to the canal for a few hours in the sun this morning, had two nice chub, a really nice roach and this beautiful perch just shy of 2lb

IMG_1303.JPG

As an added bonus the canal was quite quiet for the first time this year as everyone was at the shops, happy days.