A Night on the Beach

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
A tale, a tale to tell of a nights sea angling, mid to late 70's, I was young then

It had been decided, We, that is us, a Motley Crew were to go sea fishing, to be precise to spend a night over to Reculver on the north kent coast, an ancient place, important in its time, the entrance-exit to the river Wantsum channel, Castles, a Port, a Village and its all washed away over time, a lost to the sea place, quite atmospheric, all thats left is a church tower thats maintained as a navigation marker by trinity house

but I digress, though keep it in mind

My elder brother Jimmy, a Matelot was on leave for a coupla weeks and was out on the lash with us in those heady days of wine, women and song, ( Well there were a lot of songs I suppose, )

but I digress again though keep it in mind too

Chris, his best mate, chris's brother leslie, Kenny, (a sorta freaked out hippy dude) and myself were to attend,

saturday was sourcing, I had a moggie 1000 van then, Jim his 1600E, beer, bait etc bought, gear loaded, sorted, Me les, kenny in the van, jim, chris in the motor,

off we went, van chugged along doing the footdown and rocking it max speed of 50mph, we were parked up and unloaded ready for the walk to the other side of the towers long afore jim and chris turn up, On the beach and setting up as good as

but they were not alone, chris had a bird with him, quite nice she was too,

turns out he had pulled and asked her to come along , she agreed, (remember them days ) and here she was

rods are all out, on the rests etc, nothing special, we was poor lol, and it was the 70;s there wasnt much about then, the best rod probably on show was an abu or a reverse taper moncrieff thing, still we were happy

its getting toward the gloaming, that kinda daynight, seeable, but time to get the tilleys primed, chris buggers off back to cortina and returns with a tent for the bird to kip in if she wants too later, cheap little boy scout thing, which he sets up toward the top of the beach

beers being drunk, had a fire, nights getting on, now reculver in them days, up past the towers was dark, no lights, you had the seawall and marsh behind you, proper torch and lamp place, I cant remember if we were catching, if we did, which we probably did, it wasnt owt to remember

the bird decides and her and chris slink off, knowing winks and slightly ribald comments follow the pair and they dissapear into the thin nylon depths

we are fishing still, drinking and hoping, for off the rest gut wrenching bites, when it gets darker, Jims got up, and pinched one of the lamps, off he trots with it and dissapears behind the tent, comes back, smiling over the pebbles and plonks his arse down,

a look up the beach, proceeded to give you the "art off amorous seduction in silhouette" jim had dumped the tilley behind the tent, we all turned round and watched, cracking up, and casting only comments for a while, you woulda paid for that in west london in those days !

while later, hes,back, having let her have his wicked way with him and glowing in the nods and hat tips to his just won reputation as a Stud Extroudinairre, and wondering what we were going on about, until it was shown to him the extremely efficient point of play lighting effects

more beer and the night wore on, the bird slept on unaware untill the early morning chill forced her out the tent and him and jim packing up and taking them selves off earlyish

the rest of us loitered till low tide, sun was up and we decided to look out on the beach for some leads and rigs that had got lost during the night on snags etc,, out we wandered onto the flats that show all along the estuary, whilst scanning I saw the glint of what I thought was brass tube, so hand in the sand and out it comes, it wasnt tube, and it wasnt brass,

it was Gold, and it was a Ring, a plain gold band, bit reddish, the darker gold rather than the bright gold of 24c, but gold nonetheless, no hallmarks, so it was old gold,

oooooow, and if I had read and understood the Hobbit/lord of the rings a bit better by then, no doubt I would of whispered, My Preciousssss

stopped at the pub that that sits in front of the towers and asked the landlord iffin he knew anyone saying they lost a ring, he didnt, so it was stuffed in the pocket and off we went, you gotta make the effort a bit aint you,

chris didnt get to stay long with the bird, never did find out that she knew she had been a star for an hour, I got broker before I got richer and decide a while later to flog the ring, it was quite a chunky thing really, and I was in need of petrol, beer money, so I cashed it in over to a local jeweller-dealer, Ben Lees, I think I got around a tenner for it as scrap gold because of the no marks,

now think back to the start where the description of reculver lies, reculver had been a major roman port, classis brittannica, a caeser of the narrow seas place in use for near the full length of the roman occupation, it then became a seat of one of the romano brit kings, then a richish medieval port before washing away in a great storm

I often wonder how old that band had been,

Still, ...................

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Marvellous read mate. The days before mobile phones eh?..........everything has to be left to the imagination.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Love it Mick, let's have some more please.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello Mick, hope you don`t mind me hi jacking your thread.

Reculver, something very {I can`t think of the word} about those towers.

In the seventies me and my old man turned up at the beach to fish, there was a boat competition going on and due to the rough
weather said craft were only about two hundred yards offshore. Anyway as the weather got wilder the boats came in and have to
say I was amazed at the catches, cod, dustbins full of them. How times have changed:(

Not much of a Wantsum angler but I fished the river immediately behind the beach and was surprised by the size of the fish that
swam past. There was a belt of duckweed for about a foot or so out from the bank and when my old man came looking for me with
our dog the dopey mutt dashed up to the river when it saw me and thinking it was solid ground went crashing straight into the river,
surfaced like a seal and covered in green muck.

Had an uncle and aunt from the midlands who would holiday at the caravan park every summer and the rest of the family would
meet up. I was of course quite happy to be near the river.

As you know there are quite a few rock pools thereabout and one day we caught a small fish, it was no doubt a stray pouting but
my mother insisted it was a haddock so a haddock it was, happy times.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hello Mick, hope you don`t mind me hi jacking your thread.

Reculver, something very {I can`t think of the word} about those towers.

In the seventies me and my old man turned up at the beach to fish, there was a boat competition going on and due to the rough
weather said craft were only about two hundred yards offshore. Anyway as the weather got wilder the boats came in and have to
say I was amazed at the catches, cod, dustbins full of them. How times have changed:(

Not much of a Wantsum angler but I fished the river immediately behind the beach and was surprised by the size of the fish that
swam past. There was a belt of duckweed for about a foot or so out from the bank and when my old man came looking for me with
our dog the dopey mutt dashed up to the river when it saw me and thinking it was solid ground went crashing straight into the river,
surfaced like a seal and covered in green muck.

Had an uncle and aunt from the midlands who would holiday at the caravan park every summer and the rest of the family would
meet up. I was of course quite happy to be near the river.

As you know there are quite a few rock pools thereabout and one day we caught a small fish, it was no doubt a stray pouting but
my mother insisted it was a haddock so a haddock it was, happy times.
Reculver on your own, and the Marshes behind can be very atmospheric, certainly a place where the ghosts of the past are in residence

the stream you mention is the North stream, small but holds a good stock of silvers, including your fave, old red eye, hard work, but they are there, you need to be a stalker with a soft footfall, clomping along will get you no where

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Atmospheric, that was the word I was looking for.

I always thought the towers were some religious folly type thingy, didn`t realise it was part of something much larger. History reminds
me of looking into space, always something new and we will never know it all or even get anywhere near. Not sure who but some mush
wrote `when a man is tired of London he is tired of life` well that is a lot of cobblers. I got tired of London years back. He should have
written `when a man is tired of history he is tired of life`.

The North stream? I live and learn I thought it was the Wantsum itself. My best ever catch {although it doesn`t sound great} was four
goer size roach, the only four bites I had but it was only a very short session.

I rather like these small drain type waters, I have a few videos of a bloke fishing a Lincs drain for tench and bream, said water is only
about twenty five or thirty feet across but looks very inviting and he catches some good fish. Going back to the seventies you could buy
farmland around Ashford for as little as a thousand quid an acre, surrounding Ashford are numerous tiny brooks and it would not have
been that difficult to create your own {says he} drain/dyke type fishery, if only.

Dunno about you but I do miss nattering about fishing what with this blasted pandemic but I suppose I should be thankful me and mine
have come through it unscathed. Mind you Mark Wintles youtube series on roach keeps me going.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Atmospheric, that was the word I was looking for.

I always thought the towers were some religious folly type thingy, didn`t realise it was part of something much larger. History reminds
me of looking into space, always something new and we will never know it all or even get anywhere near. Not sure who but some mush
wrote `when a man is tired of London he is tired of life` well that is a lot of cobblers. I got tired of London years back. He should have
written `when a man is tired of history he is tired of life`.

The North stream? I live and learn I thought it was the Wantsum itself. My best ever catch {although it doesn`t sound great} was four
goer size roach, the only four bites I had but it was only a very short session.

I rather like these small drain type waters, I have a few videos of a bloke fishing a Lincs drain for tench and bream, said water is only
about twenty five or thirty feet across but looks very inviting and he catches some good fish. Going back to the seventies you could buy
farmland around Ashford for as little as a thousand quid an acre, surrounding Ashford are numerous tiny brooks and it would not have
been that difficult to create your own {says he} drain/dyke type fishery, if only.

Dunno about you but I do miss nattering about fishing what with this blasted pandemic but I suppose I should be thankful me and mine
have come through it unscathed. Mind you Mark Wintles youtube series on roach keeps me going.
I could be wrong, buts thats as ive always known it, Im happy to be proved erroneously wayward in information given ;)

Ive fished the Wantsum a fair bit, mainly up from the stour end, its a place rather like the canal out on the marsh, you really have to do a bitta prep if you want a days good angling, go cut a swim out, it suffers with weed because its small, shallow and runs through arable land and the fertiliser problems, the lads from marshside fishery have the rights, nice bunch, you would get on with them, eclectic anglers, probably the most diverse in background bunch I have ever met, day ticket on thier waters are a £5 if you see one, they control the Stour down from the bridge at plucks gutter too, some pegs you can park right behind, basic platforms or banks

roach bream and eeeeeeeels