A New Stew-Stock pot

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I never thought that a quest for a new stew-stock pot would take me so long

the one I have been using for a number of years, had a bit of an accident a couple of weeks back

after washing and drying it, I failed miserably to hold onto the lid in an appropiate way when putting it back in the kitchen cupboard and consequently dropped and broke the glass lid, it shattered into multiple pieces rather like a car windscreen used to

hence the search started for another, various local shops and establishments were visited and searched through, though nothing of suitable quality was found, most of the offerings for sale were of cheap aluminium construction or not the right size,

so an internet quest was undertaken, but has yet to reach a suitable conclusion, those that might meet the minimum requirements either being ridiculously expensive or from foriegn lands that have a high rate of postage and packing

all I want is a minimum size of 7.5 litres, made of stainless steel with a encapsulated base that is thicker than the walls, preferably with copper as the intergrated metal, a glass lid with a steam escape vent hole and heat resistant stub handkles on the side and lid for the times I actually use it in an oven rather than on the hotplate

its begnning to look like i may have to fork out a rather large amount of hard earned to actually purchase something suitable to my demands or cut them short and go the cast iron route

are stew pots non fashionable these days or am I just being too picky ?

DFL

Site Supporter
May not be so much demand nowadays as many like me use a slow cooker, you can get a good one for less than thirty quid and no need to turn the oven on.

Brythebagger

That’s the avenue we went down too. Slow cooker and the meat is just perfect done on low all day long

Chervil

Site Supporter
I use one of these.

However Lakeland seem to do what you are looking for

Simon R

Site Supporter
If there's a TJ Hughes in your part of the country it's always worth a look in - they have stock on their shelves that's not on the website - and usually a fair bit cheaper than other department stores.

We got a stockpot similar to the Lakeland one posted above that wasn't on the website and was under twenty quid.

Simon

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Look for this on amazon £47,99

ProCook Professional Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Lid - 24cm / 7.2L - Large Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Not a stock pot but I bought a Morphy Richards multi cooker a couple of years ago, brilliant piece of kit. Chuck everything in and
set it on low and a few hours later a proper rustic stew that will last for days, do like a decent stew.

I really enjoy walking around the pro cook type stores, perhaps I am pot and pan sexual.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Look for this on amazon £47,99

ProCook Professional Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Lid - 24cm / 7.2L - Large Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles

cheers Geoffrey, thats twice thats been mentioned

though I think I will try to get it "Not off Amazon" being as hats a site that I would rather not do business on due to ethical reasons

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Mick, pro cook shop at the outlet. Don`t always charge top dollar either, treated my self to some new knives last year, sell good stuff.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Any of these any good to you Mick...

It's a company I've bought from and have had no issues with

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mick, pro cook shop at the outlet. Don`t always charge top dollar either, treated my self to some new knives last year, sell good stuff.

only ever got out the car once at the outlet, useally just give the wench a lift then sit in the van, reading a mag and sipping coffee

proper madhouse, though i might have a trip to gain brownie points with a ulterior motive