A New Record at the Oaks Sessay

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
There is some fish in these lakes top 3all off Beech Lake 1500lb of fish and a section with 212lb
The winner had 11 nets God knows where he put them.

1661369999856.png

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Those weights will increase 'cos the fish are still growing - they average about 3lb now I'm told.

Simon

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Those weights will increase 'cos the fish are still growing - they average about 3lb now I'm told.

Simon
Wtf so they’re catching 200 plus on average 3lb carp in 5 hours!!! That is just absolutely ridiculous I was thinking they were getting like 100 plus 6lb carp which is stupid enough but double that of smaller ones is frankly ridiculous must be essentially a stock pond. Wouldn’t want to catch that many of anything would just be an exhausting blur of a session.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Err don't you continually fish the same pegs for repeat bags of the same sized Roach.

No different to quality anglers who know their water and how to fish it.

Why criticise someone else's enjoyment?

Dogbert

Site Supporter
200 fish in five hours is 40 per hour or one every ninety seconds. To include; landing the fish, unhooking it, rebaiting and casting out again.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Who said they caught 200 and the size is speculation from Simon''s info.

The angler may have caught most of his fish well over 3lb.
Do we know yet?

By the end of this thread they would have caught over a thousand fish at a few ounces each - one every 2 seconds. 🤣🤣

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
This comes up every year when a big weight is posted from Sessay.
1, how many people that have commented have even seen the water.
2, How many commenting know the anglers that are fishing the water.
Chris Hall (Ghandi) lives on the complex and fishes it day in day out. Beech 12 is one off the corner IIRC
The vast majority of the anglers mentioned in the results fish nowhere else and fish it week in week out.
I have fished those particular ponds and the majority of fish are over the 3lb mark with quite a lot going 5 - 6 lb especially in Beech, they are about the 3 - 4lb mark in Ash and Sycamore.
There is no pleasure angling on them and generally they are only fished 3 times a week.
Tom keeps the ponds well, and really looks after the fish.
The majority of the fishing is on top 3 maximum, I have also fished them in winter and some matches you would think it was devoid of any fish except small Rudd and roach.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Err don't you continually fish the same pegs for repeat bags of the same sized Roach.

No different to quality anglers who know their water and how to fish it.

Why criticise someone else's enjoyment?
Not all the time no but often do yes. Not sure what comparison that is but well observed. If you want full detail this season on the Thames it’s 6 pegs from 13 sessions with fish ranging from sub 1oz to probably a little over 10oz of roach, dace, silver bream, chub, bleak and gudgeon. 3 of those pegs I’d never fished before this season as well and I’d fished none of them before 2020. May be a new peg on a totally new stretch this weekend as well. So I’ll give you that you’re half right 😉

Anyway back on topic rather than get personal for no apparent reason. I don’t recall making a criticism just an observation that it is an insane amount of relatively big fish in a relatively short time which must be both exhausting and suggest a very high stocking density. And yes it was based off Simons info as have no reason to disbelieve him. Nowhere did I criticise them for doing it doesn’t make a difference to me what they do. Literally just made an observation and if people take offence from an observation I can’t help that 😅

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Not wishing to demean the achievement but aren’t there supposed to be guidelines for fisheries on stocking densities and if there are then surely that lake must be in excess of them?

I don’t know the water or how big it is but if just 3 anglers can get 1500kg and the next 4 anglers another 1250kg then it must be very highly stocked.

George Jones

Site Supporter
Fished it a couple of times this summer. Fantastic venue. 1st time I drew Sycamore and had just short of 200lb. The lad was on Ash and was gutted he only had 220lb. Next visit I was on Beech and failed miserably with 150lb. The lad was 2nd overall with 350lb off Sycamore.
The stamp on Sycamore is deffo lower than the other 2.
Hope to get another visit in in the next few weeks whilst the weights are still good

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I don’t profess to know the exact size of the 3 lakes but approx 100 meters long 40 meters wide and circa 5 - 6 ft before it shelves to the sunken island that each lake has down the centre.
The net limit is 50lb with a 20lb over limit taking each net to 70lb max, over even by 1/2 an oz and the net is discounted.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I don’t know how often it fishes like it did for the fisho final but I thought Westwood lakes showed you can have a good, fair match on a commie.
I get the impression that these sort of weights are becoming less common. It is better for fish welfare to have lower weight matches thanks to lower stock density. It’s certainly better for the fairness of the matches to have lower weights👍

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
There is some fish in these lakes top 3all off Beech Lake 1500lb of fish and a section with 212lb
The winner had 11 nets God knows where he put them.

1661369999856.png
staggering weights 💪, good for them but its definitely not my cup of tea

Total

Site Supporter
I don’t know how often it fishes like it did for the fisho final but I thought Westwood lakes showed you can have a good, fair match on a commie.
I get the impression that these sort of weights are becoming less common. It is better for fish welfare to have lower weight matches thanks to lower stock density. It’s certainly better for the fairness of the matches to have lower weights👍
These sorts of winning weights are becoming far less common in venues around Kent, Essex Sussex etc. Of the top of my head five mega weight venues, 350 pounds plus up to 650 pounds are more commonly won with 200 pounds max'.....Although 273 pound won the last club venue....

Status
Not open for further replies.