A mystery solved !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
things have been going on in the tackle rooms this past couple of weeks

finally I have bowed to pressure and started getting rid of the un-used, items

doing quite well, even though it is a wrench to see some stuff go, theres been a few mates and aquiantances leaving my abode cash poorer but tackle richer

well then, this after, Ive had a club member around, youngish lad, looking to build his session carping kit, he aint got a lotta loot, but he has a great desire and lust for certain of the items that he found

picked up a niceish north western 2.5lb TC carpy rod and mated it to a shimmy 6010, and then started looking in a big old glass fibre seat box (which sadly I couldnt get him to take with him)

one coleman dual fuel cooker, a headlamp, and a few bits of end tackle, mainly braid lengths, hooks, leads feeders etc,

when he picked up a alloy turning, this was about the size of an old half crown in diameter, with a thickness of about a half inch, knurled all around the circumference, with a threaded projection on the underside, and asked how much for it

well the font of all knowledge (sic) replied, mate I dunno even what it is, it came with a load a tackle about 10 year ago and has sat in that box since

25p was the agreed amount, and hes giggling at my ignorance

turns out its a thingymajig that you screw into a bankstick and then proceed to whack the said bankstick into the ground without damaging the thread

gave him it for free

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I made a stainless steel thing few years ago for someone who supplied the dimensions of this thing he wanted making. When I told him I had done it he came over and was dead chuffed to say the least. I never asked him what it was for and indeed didn't suss it until I just read your thead. Thanks for that I might even make one for myself now.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Neat idea, but the one I would buy is one for brolly spikes. I've ruined a few by trying to knock them into firm banks.

Pointless hammering brolly poles in Pete. I've had one of THESE for years, just screws in using the supplied T-bar, unbreakable and it's outlasted half a dozen brollies. :upthumb:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Pointless hammering brolly poles in Pete. I've had one of THESE for years, just screws in using the supplied T-bar, unbreakable and it's outlasted half a dozen brollies. :upthumb:

Yes, I have one of those now after ruining 4 brolly spikes. I'd still get 'gadget' though as a spare for anyone on the bank having problems knocking a standard spike in.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I always use a power spike for my brollie, have done for years but for the occasional bank stick I think I will get on the lathe and make a pushing/knocking in crown.

Not a great deal to making one and as it is screwed into the thread as long as it is fully down to the top of the bankstick should cause very little damage to the bankstick.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I always use a power spike for my brollie, have done for years but for the occasional bank stick I think I will get on the lathe and make a pushing/knocking in crown.

Not a great deal to making one and as it is screwed into the thread as long as it is fully down to the top of the bankstick should cause very little damage to the bankstick.

Unless you hit an underground rock and your bankstick buckles. Yes, it has been known. :giggle:

rudd

Site Supporter
I have one but need to remember where the T bar is, been using a tent peg!

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Ukzero1, it won't cause any damage to the top even if you do hit a rock as the pushing/knocking crown is fully screwed in as I said earlier. I have never in all my fishing life had a good quality bank stick buckle when using reasonable force to push a bankstick in, the obstruction of a rock can be felt before excessive force is applied. A cheap quality thin walled bankstick may bend, but not a thicker walled higher quality one.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Ukzero1, it won't cause any damage to the top even if you do hit a rock as the pushing/knocking crown is fully screwed in as I said earlier. I have never in all my fishing life had a good quality bank stick buckle when using reasonable force to push a bankstick in, the obstruction of a rock can be felt before excessive force is applied. A cheap quality thin walled bankstick may bend, but not a thicker walled higher quality one.

It's not the top of the bankstick I'm worried about, it's the brolly spike. I have the Gardner one, but have in the past damaged the top of 4 standard brolly spikes and was just wondering if a knocking crown was available for the brolly spikes.
As for banksticks, I use the Arrowpoints, but have seen club members buckle the odd one or two of their own banksticks. Common sense would tell me that if it hits an obsruction, to move it over an inch and try again.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Ukzero1, if the crown for your brollie pole extends well down the outside diameter and is a nice fit then it won't cause damage to it. I use a power spike on my brollie that I have had for many years. I recently bought a further one to use on the brollie we take with us when exhibiting our car at car shows.
The one that I got is a Dinsmores one, the tee bar is on the shortside I feel so I have cut a piece of stainless steel a few inches longer, more leverage obviously.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I have the Gardner one with the t-bar. The ones I have damaged by bashing them in are the older type, the hollow aluminium ones. They don't take a lot of stick before the top starts to flange out. So I thought I'd have a look for a protector of some sort that fits down the spike like the ones for the banksticks and can't find any. I just thought one of those might come in handy for those on the club waters that are having to bash the old spike in without damaging it.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
ukzero1, the power spike that I have recently bought was only about £10.00 so perhaps may be worth a look at either aswell as or instead of. I got it from ebay, I will have a look to see if I can find the supplier and post on here. It may be of interest to you.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Beware of banging anything in near trees as if you go through a decent root that's your lot l can tell you. I use an old screw in blue one, l think it's a power spike from about 35 years ago.