A Message From John Bailey On Cormorants

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I get the impression that this survey is for England only and that it is not applicable to Wales, am I right?

Yes mate, the shooting licences are devolved, the Welsh, Northern Ireland and Scottish governments deal with the issues in their own countries.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I get the impression that this survey is for England only and that it is not applicable to Wales, am I right?
Quite right...England only.
What is this survey for?
This survey forms part of the process of consulting and engaging with stakeholders for the 2019 review on general licences to kill or take wild birds in England (nature conservation is a devolved matter and this review applies to England only).

62tucker

Site Supporter
Done. A few years ago I fished a old gravel pit in the middle of nowhere. Nobody fished it. Had pike and perch in and about 5 miles from north east coast. Every day about 6 pm a cormorant came for about a 1 hr driving down and obviously getting fish. Never went for a couple of years and fishing wasn’t as good and the 6 cormorants turned up. ?

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Done for cormorants and goosanders.

I'm seeing cormorants all over the place in Yorkshire. There are about 20 perched on a building of the back of where I work on the river Aire in Leeds. The fish don't stand a chance!

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Done,there has been a load on wires over the Ramsey Forty Foot drain for the past few years

DFL

Site Supporter
Thousands roost on the Stodmarsh reserve in Kent.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Does anyone know of strong lasers being used to deter them and was it successful?

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Done. I am a bailiff for my local club and on monday 12/11/2019 I counted 19 cormarants both fishing and roosting. Not good in my opinion.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Done, but I left an awful lot blank as not applicable.
Hope my comments are still regarded as relevant?

rudd

Site Supporter
I recently went out on a 9.5m RIB along part of the northeast Scottish coastline and there must have been upwards of 50+ Cormorants perched on every available stretch of rock. Literally hundreds of the things
They may have been shags.

PAB

Site Supporter
Done I counted well over a 100 flying onto the broads and river Waveney this morning with the Otters and even Grey Seals in the water ways it is a wonder there is any fish at all.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yes mate, the shooting licences are devolved, the Welsh, Northern Ireland and Scottish governments deal with the issues in their own countries.

Shooting licence?? ermm..hmmm. ooops. :oops::cautious::sneaky:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Shooting licence?? ermm..hmmm. ooops. :oops::cautious::sneaky:

Ok the general licence, although to be honest i rarely see anybody climbing trees etc to destroy the eggs or nests and i can't remember the last time i saw a larsen anywhere!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Ok the general licence, although to be honest i rarely see anybody climbing trees etc to destroy the eggs or nests and i can't remember the last time i saw a larsen anywhere!

Fair point.

PAB

Site Supporter
all members should take 5 minutes to complete this it is so important to our sport.