A Message From John Bailey On Cormorants

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Your Fishing Needs You..NOW

Forget Brexit. Forget climate change. Forget the General Election, the NHS, the useless rail and road network, the cost of housing. Forget it all if you are an angler who fishes for natural fish. Remember just one thing, one date, one job. One thing? Cormorants are killing all our fisheries, every single one of them, often under your very nose. One Date? December 5th 2019, that is when the Wild Birds General Licence Survey ends.
One Job? Me, you, every reader of the Mail, every man, woman or child who ever fishes, all of us MUST respond to the Survey and tell Government and Natural England that cormorants have to be on General Licence or our fisheries will founder and fail nation wide. We have one chance to make the powers that be to open their eyes, to open their ears and to see and hear the horrendous damage foreign, yes, alien cormorants are inflicting on our British wildlife. If together we can get cormorants put on General Licence it means we do not have to apply for permissions and quotas to cull them. It means that if we or our representatives have the right firearms certifications, we can get out there and solve the cormorant challenge that is proving to be our nemesis.

God bless the Anglers Mail. In the November 5th edition they told you how to access the link to the survey at anglersmail.co.uk/news. God bless the Angling Trust. Go on their website, look for cormorant action and there you will find a link that tells you how to actually fill the Government survey in, word for word. I don’t care a jot what you think of the Angling Trust, know that in this case they are our blooming saviours. Now, at this very instant, the moment you read this, is the time to get off your own particular bottom and do ten minutes work to save our sport. If I, you, all of us do not do this we have no right ever again to moan about our fisheries and their decline. If my own mates do not respond to this survey, each and every one of them, I’ll never speak to them again. Trevor Harrop told us in the Mail that this is our chance..our last and only chance. We take it or endure the consequences forever.
You have to lived in a cave if you don’t know the facts about cormorant predation. The number of overwintering, alien cormorants has shot up from a trickle to 50, even 60,000 birds. Great mate Simon Clark worked out that every winter cormorants are eating a weight of fish comparable to the the human body weight of Dunstable. Unless we act, unless we respond to this survey by December 5th, the numbers will grow and I for one refuse to be beaten by a blasted , bugger of a bird fresh in from Bulgaria.
So my friends, it does not matter if you fish for salmon or sticklebacks, trout or tench, carp or cod, the doors are open to change that has given us a whiff of a chance of getting cormorants on the General Licence of birds that can be controlled.
YOUR FISHING NEEDS YOU!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Even though the club waters haven't got this problem, I'm all for it.

smartie

Your Fishing Needs You..NOW

Forget Brexit. Forget climate change. Forget the General Election, the NHS, the useless rail and road network, the cost of housing. Forget it all if you are an angler who fishes for natural fish. Remember just one thing, one date, one job. One thing? Cormorants are killing all our fisheries, every single one of them, often under your very nose. One Date? December 5th 2019, that is when the Wild Birds General Licence Survey ends.
One Job? Me, you, every reader of the Mail, every man, woman or child who ever fishes, all of us MUST respond to the Survey and tell Government and Natural England that cormorants have to be on General Licence or our fisheries will founder and fail nation wide. We have one chance to make the powers that be to open their eyes, to open their ears and to see and hear the horrendous damage foreign, yes, alien cormorants are inflicting on our British wildlife. If together we can get cormorants put on General Licence it means we do not have to apply for permissions and quotas to cull them. It means that if we or our representatives have the right firearms certifications, we can get out there and solve the cormorant challenge that is proving to be our nemesis.

God bless the Anglers Mail. In the November 5th edition they told you how to access the link to the survey at anglersmail.co.uk/news. God bless the Angling Trust. Go on their website, look for cormorant action and there you will find a link that tells you how to actually fill the Government survey in, word for word. I don’t care a jot what you think of the Angling Trust, know that in this case they are our blooming saviours. Now, at this very instant, the moment you read this, is the time to get off your own particular bottom and do ten minutes work to save our sport. If I, you, all of us do not do this we have no right ever again to moan about our fisheries and their decline. If my own mates do not respond to this survey, each and every one of them, I’ll never speak to them again. Trevor Harrop told us in the Mail that this is our chance..our last and only chance. We take it or endure the consequences forever.
You have to lived in a cave if you don’t know the facts about cormorant predation. The number of overwintering, alien cormorants has shot up from a trickle to 50, even 60,000 birds. Great mate Simon Clark worked out that every winter cormorants are eating a weight of fish comparable to the the human body weight of Dunstable. Unless we act, unless we respond to this survey by December 5th, the numbers will grow and I for one refuse to be beaten by a blasted , bugger of a bird fresh in from Bulgaria.
So my friends, it does not matter if you fish for salmon or sticklebacks, trout or tench, carp or cod, the doors are open to change that has given us a whiff of a chance of getting cormorants on the General Licence of birds that can be controlled.
YOUR FISHING NEEDS YOU!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I recently went out on a 9.5m RIB along part of the northeast Scottish coastline and there must have been upwards of 50+ Cormorants perched on every available stretch of rock. Literally hundreds of the things

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Even though the club waters haven't got this problem, I'm all for it.

Give it time mate, i know club waters that have been decimated by the black death, it finally got to a point where they have had to string line across the waters to deter the bloody things.

I recently went out on a 9.5m RIB along part of the northeast Scottish coastline and there must have been upwards of 50+ Cormorants perched on every available stretch of rock. Literally hundreds of the things

no no no Dave they aren't the same birds, ask our feathered friend lovers.... we are fighting european fresh water cormorants not the lovely salt water ones who wouldn't come inland looking for an easy meal!!

KevinT

Done and brought this up at our AGM meeting last week - hopefully some of the guys attending will have also gone on line

KevT

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If filling this in, what do you answer to the questions regarding you shooting birds?

Prawn sandwich

Site Supporter
I get the impression that this survey is for England only and that it is not applicable to Wales, am I right?