A lot of foul hooking with pellet wag

Cantor1987

Hi all

wondering if anyone can give me some guidance , I’ve been away from fishing for around 10 years and started again in last 4 month but I was just feeder fishing 10 years ago .
I’m trying to build new methods as I want to eventually start match fishing .
So I’ve been practicing pellet waggler and pole fishing .
I have a problem we’re I am foul hooking a lot of fish with the pellet waggler.
I’m starting to think I’m feeding too much and got too many fish in my peg . The foul hookers mainly come from after I’ve cast in them fed again once or twice , then I twitch my hook bait back. I foul hook them aswell occasionally when reeling back in to repeat the process.
Thanks

Cantor1987

Yeah I’ve fished at different depths , I start around 18-20
Inches deep as go deeper by 6 inches if I think there’s fish in the peg but not getting any bites , I seem to foul hook them when most when I twitch my hook bait back .

grey

Site Supporter
When they start snatching at anything I also think it's maybe a bit too much feed going in.

How I deal with it depends on the day/water: sometimes ease the feed right off, sometimes stop feeding altogether for two or three flicks-o-the-'pult before slowly introduce feed again.

I feel it's a period that can produce decent fish that you wouldn't necessary catch, so you can capitalise during rectifying a minor error of judgement, I know pellet wag utilises the obsessive part of the brain, but in this case I wouldn't be afraid of changing my feed pattern.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
The golden rule is generally start at around 18 ins. If you get quick dips you can't hit go deeper 2ins at a time. If you are foul hooking shallow up.

12-14 ins is generally the optimum depth however when you can see fish on the top if you are feeding it correctly you can catch very well 6 ins deep.

A typical session would see me start at 18 or 12-14ins if it's warm, shallowing up as more fish come into the peg and compete for the bait. If you can catch at 6ins it can be manic.

sporty

Site Supporter
Just keep shallowing up till you connect and use short hooklengths ,also you may be feeding to much ,dont be afraid to make adjustments to depths and feed amounts .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
This happens quite a lot at Bankend fisheries.
Reduce the amount of feed you are putting in. You may simply have too many fish in your swim.
Shallow up
Swap to a slow sinking bomb over where you’ve been feeding.
These alterations seem to work for me. 🤷‍♂️

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
The fish are there so your feeding is good so shallow up until you get lip hooked fish instead of foulers.