A little bit of history

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I guess most know this song about the troops in Italy. I first heard it sung by the folk group, The Spinners.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
My Dad in his final resting place,tried to land at Normandy but his supposedly floating tank sank,got taken back to England and after a short leave went back to The Sherwood Rangers in time to fight in the battle for Caen,stupidly got out of his tank for a smoke while they were resting and got killed by a mortar shell,I know its a long time ago but you would think that the Europeans might still be a bit gratefull to us,apart from the Germans that is !.

Attachments

• Dads grave.jpeg
    Dads grave.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 8

nejohn

Site Supporter
My parents were both children during WW2 and my grandfathers were both killed during WW1 so the stories I got were related to my auntie who was a driver in london and served with Winston Churchills daughter, she was in London during the Blitz and told some awful stories about that when I was old enough to understand.
My ex wifes father however served in the para's during the war and after but that was really all he would say about his time in the army, he did however sort of keep in touch with the regiment during later life. When he died I was shocked to see about 3 rows in the back of the church all wearing the red beret these were men of all ages and one asked if they could lay a beret on the coffin which obviously there were no issues with. After talking to a couple of the guys after the funeral it appeared that the ex farther in law was one of the last to get out of Arnham alive and his actions helped save the lives of others a fact that he had never thought was important