A Happy COVID Story

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wasn't going to post about this as I have my reservations and tbh don't want to face an onslaught of 'get well soon' posts and occasional criticisms, but feel that I should share a little happy COVID story of my own...

A week last Thursday afternoon the lad who labours for me said he wasn't feeling too good. It was the end of the day and it had been a hot, hard day building an extension so he put it down to just being tired.
Friday came and he contacted me to say he was feeling awful, not right at all, and no energy but he was on his way.... I told him to go home and I'll bring his money to him later.

Later on that day we exchanged a few text messages and he told me he still wasn't too good, had a temperature, his chest was hurting and he didn't know what to do.
He's a great lad, typical labourer, and not one who you'd put down as being soft. I suggested he phoned NHS111 and see what they say; he did.

A while later I got the message back saying he had to wait for a call from a nurse. The caller confirmed he has Coronavirus symptoms and had to isolate.

Now, that day I'd moved onto another job working by myself in a disused shop that was cold, damp, and been stood empty for a while. My chest was tight but I put that down to the atmosphere in there. At the end of the day I met up (at a safe distance) and gave the lad his wages.

Saturday came and tbh I wasn't feeling too clever but being a stubborn sod I put it down to the previous day. My missus took Winston for a walk, I cut the grass, cleaned my pond and filters and did all the jobs that had been queuing up with the onset of warm weather - like you do :)

Sunday, I wasn't feeling too good at all, we took Winston for a walk and four times I had to stop to catch my breath, my chest was burning up, head banging and feeling swollen. We came home.
As the day wore on I was getting worse, started with a cough, temperature, generally feeling rubbish, so reluctantly I went on the NHS website, completed the online questionnaire and the result was to phone 111. I did rather intrepidly to get put straight through to someone, an over the phone diagnosis followed by "you have Coronavirus symptoms and must isolate...." you know the rest.

FFS, so it was decided for me, I wasn't going to work the next day. (I wouldn't have anyway)
My missus, a key worker, had to contact her employer and explain that she was isolating for 14 days.

Monday I was ill, couldn't hold a conversation without running out of breath, chest on fire, it felt like two Godbers were sat on it trying to extinguish the flames, an occasional bout of coughing, lightheadedness, temp, all the symptoms.
My labourer was the same as we kept in touch comparing notes so to speak.
Tuesday was just as bad, if not worse, and Wednesday, in fact both days I could hardly speak not climb the stairs without running out of breath.

Because my missus is a key worker, her employer (LA social services) arranged for me to be tested. The test appointment came through for Thursday morning at Cross Green in Leeds, ironically I felt better that morning than I had all week, still not clever though by a long chalk.
I had the tests, swabs taken from the top of my nostrils, I'm sure he hit my brain cell, and the back of my throat and back home we went.

As the day wore on I felt worse, it seemed and was to be a familiar pattern, and then before tea I literally felt like someone had turned me off, I couldn't breathe, my vision was going, I felt like I was going to black out. I staggered outside so not to alarm my missus, fell into a chair on the decking, fought for breath and managed to pull myself out of it.
15 minutes later I was back under control.

Friday and Saturday felt better, still keeping in touch with my labourer to make sure he was ok as he lives alone, still struggling for breath at times, still with a burning windpipe, but the Godbers had gone home.

Saturday tea-time and time for the infamous fish & chips. Everything was going well but in my quest to shove it down as fast as possible, I forgot to maintain my breathing. Once again I felt like I was about to black out, this time felt worse though, I couldn't breathe at all. I fell out of the room, onto the stairs, got my head together, pulled myself out of it, and started to regain myself. After ten minutes or so the missus came to see if I was okay, "yes love, alright" as you do. Now that bout scared me!
I went back into the room and told her if I do black out phone 999. She wasn't aware at the time what'd happened, she'd been eating her fish & chips :)

Sunday morning came and so did my test results - Negative ?!? WTF. As I told my missus, if this isn't it then I do not want it. 15 stone, fit and strong, hardy builder type, and battered for six.
My sister is a nurse and she said to get a doctor's appointment asap as I needed to get checked out sharpish.
The request was made, and on Monday morning I got a call from one of the top GP's in our area. After five minutes I was told to get to the surgery to be checked out within the next thirty minutes.

So off we go to the surgery where I'm met by the doc and a team all suited and booted, stats checked, diagnosis made - "You have COVID-19 and I am going to over-ride the test results".
Apparently there is a 30% discrepancy in the negative results being made, they call it a 'false-negative'.
I'm over the worse, got a rollocking for not calling an ambulance on the two occasions I nearly blacked out, told to go home and rest, and if I feel bad again to phone 999.

I'm still not brilliant now, can't hold a conversation without running out of breath, still got a bit of a cough but this time it's more of a wet cough, something to do with clearing damaged lung tissue, and I've been told it could take a week or so to be in the all-clear.
My labourer is pretty much a mirror of what I've been through with the exception of the blackouts.

The point of my post is not to ask for well wishes, sympathy, or criticism, it is to point out that I thought I wouldn't get the virus, if I did it'd be nowt to worry about, I/we followed the guidance SOP's at work and practiced as best as possible 'safe distancing', heck I even made my own brews, but all in all it could have quite easily been a different ending.

Stay safe people, stay at home, forget the fishing, live for tomorrow not just for today - and as I told Wisey in a message when he kept posting about not knowing anyone with it "You do now"

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Dave

I can send wifey over to do the cement mixing if you want, she's used to it, she does the Yorkshire puds every Sunday. Her batter is brilliant for rendering. :D

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Jeez Dave sounds like you have been through the mill chip. Hope you have a speedy recovery, don't push yourself to go back to work too soon,

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Wow! - It just goes to show that this is a very nasty and indiscriminate virus.
I'm glad you're over the worst. Take it easy.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheers, I'm furloughed for the time being following the wife's orders - what worries me most is the paper is running out on the printer as she's compiling lists for some reason.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Hope you've not infected the website and Milly the Maggot -see she has still got her smile - totally indiscrimanate - glad you OK.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If she makes any more lists I'm going to mix some Solvite and paper the chuffing walls with them ;)

We've been practicing safe distancing in the house - I've had to stay in my study or back bedroom which suited me ;)
It's a biggish house so luckily I've had my own bathroom, heck we've even sat at opposite ends of the dining table to eat. And the house has never been so clean :D

JayBee

Site Supporter
Cheers, I'm furloughed for the time being following the wife's orders - what worries me most is the paper is running out on the printer as she's compiling lists for some reason.
Get her to use both side of the paper :idea::argue:. Good luck and get well soon:waving:

david white

Site Supporter
Fair play Dave that must have taken guts to write on here
I’m the wrong side of 60 the wrong side of 17st fit ( for sweet FA ) and I’m scared that if I cop for a dose I’ll not be up to fighting it off ( if it’s a serious bout ) but I’m more scared of passing it on unwittingly by not having the symptoms
( and work want me back on the 5th because “ they do !! “ ) mobile intruder alarm service engineer ffs

Forgot to add I ain’t said speedy recovery or get well soon or anything like because you didn’t want all that ( but take it as a given please )

Marker50

Site Supporter
Glad you got through it mate.
Just let wife read it.she's in for 12 week.
It sure as made her realise shes in for a reason.with her copd.
All the best mark

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing your story, pleased you are feeling better and on track to recover. Please take heed everybody and stay at home.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
You’re strong and fit Dave. Imagine what it’s like for someone who’s not 100% to start with. It’s a serious business and I must confess I am getting a bit irritated with the people who keep whinging about lockdown and why can’t we go fishing. Brings it home doesn’t it.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Hope you are feeling better now

Look after yourself and take it easy for as long as you need