A good tip for umbrella users.

davylad

I was fishing a match yesterday, and had one of those days we all have from time to time. It was blowing a gale with heavy rain lashing down, and I put my umbrella up to cover my gear behind me, after a couple of hours it literally sailed over my head into the lake. It looked like it had an engine on it, the speed it blew to the direction of the far bank, when suddenly it sank in the middle of the lake and disappeared. I thought if I'd tied something buoyant to it, I would know exactly where it was in most lakes but the very deepest. Oh and as it was a silvers only match, I had a lump on and tried to bully it to the net, and guess what, my top kit snapped, so like I said "one of those days" I weighed in 37lb odd, so it wasn't a complete disaster. (y)

D

Deleted member 21081

It’s life, live with it and laugh about it. 37lb nice weight, well angled in tough conditions!

Simon R

Site Supporter
I hope the fishery owner retrieves it at some point - especially if it sank point up.

For many years Renny Lake had an unknown snag in the middle of what was known as the 'big bay' - it claimed many hundreds feeders and bombs over the years. There were lots of theories regarding what it was which were finally answered when the lake was drained.
It was an upturned brolly that had sunk into the silt, the spokes were festooned with feeders.
It actually came out in one piece so Jeff the old owner stuck it in the ground in the hope someone might take it away - nobody took the brolly but somebody did walk round it with a pair of scissors and cut off every feeder - must have had big pockets :p

Simon

johng19

me@home.com
I hope the fishery owner retrieves it at some point - especially if it sank point up.

For many years Renny Lake had an unknown snag in the middle of what was known as the 'big bay' - it claimed many hundreds feeders and bombs over the years. There were lots of theories regarding what it was which were finally answered when the lake was drained.
It was an upturned brolly that had sunk into the silt, the spokes were festooned with feeders.
It actually came out in one piece so Jeff the old owner stuck it in the ground in the hope someone might take it away - nobody took the brolly but somebody did walk round it with a pair of scissors and cut off every feeder - must have had big pockets :p

Simon
Just made me remember we where fishing the canal once in really heavy wind and rain next thing a green house came over the hedge strait into the middle of the canal. Luckily it was more or less the end of the match. When we where finished the was a feller in a boat trying to drag it out.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Last year I was fishing at Dog Lane fishery on a wet and windy day. I heard a fella bout 4 pegs to my right shouting summit to me as his umbrella was hurtling towards me bouncing from the spokes to the spike of the brolly. I manged to get out of the way before it hit me, (didnt fancy trying to stop it) it then bounced of the seat on my box flew up in the air and came to rest in a thorn bush that was over hanging the lake abut 3 pegs to my left. The fella came down appologising as he tried to get it free from the thorn bush with me helping him. He stepped from the flagstone peg to a post at the side to get closer but lost his footing and ended up falling half in the lake and half in the thorn bush. He had a thick wooly jumper on and his shoulder was badly snagged, I was pulling him but he was a big bloke around 20 stone im 11 and a half stone so I wasn't much use. In the end I said to him you going to have to just push your arm and shoulder through the thornes to free himself whiich he did. He eventuallly manged to get free and retreive the brolly. He was visibly shaking aswell as soaking wet and freezing. He went back to his caravan to get changed and warmed up and half an hour later he was back in his peg minus the brolly. We had a good laugh about it later in the week. He showed me his shoulder it was cut to bits lol.

Last edited:

Expanda

Earlier this year it was blowing a bit when a colleague a couple of pegs away was lifted box and all and dumped in the lake. We all scrambled to his rescue and got him and most of his gear out but it was the end of his match (he was doing quite well too?). Just thinking it could have been serious if no one had been around to help. Probably best in those conditions not to use the brolly, or not go out at all!!

H T B

Site Supporter
My brother was fishing a local canal, just at the entrance to a road bridge.
He was fishing from a concrete area.
His box had the octopus system on, and his brolley was attached to this.
Brolley was up.
He went for a quick pee, just as a gust of wind came from under the bridge, lifted the whole lot up, and dumped in into the water.

Of course, without thinking he jumped straight in. however, this wasn't 3 ft deep, it was nearer 5 1/2 ft deep.

He lived to tell the tale, but only just!

Managed to get most of the main stuff back!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing i've never understood.... why do people have a brolly on arms connected to their boxes in windy conditions?

Surely it's obvious what will happen the second their weight is off the box, i rarely use a brolly because i'm always moving around but if i am on a pool and have my brolly up i have it tied down using tent rope and peg from the top and inside it i'll have two more pegs with a guy line across the center pole inside the ribs.

breadflake

Site Supporter
A mate nearly landed a keep net at Dromanby Farm last week, lost it as the hooklink broke when he tried to hoist the net out.

davylad

Yeah you're bang on Trogg, why didn't I anchor it down with it being so windy, probably because I was catching well at the time. When I think back, I was lucky nothing else got damaged, as it looked like a bomb had gone off in my peg, I was that untidy, kits all over etc etc. I'll learn, but it might cost me a few quid getting there.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was that untidy, kits all over etc etc. I'll learn, but it might cost me a few quid getting there.

My peg is always untidy, i can't be bothered with all that anal stuff of being perfectly tidy everything in a drawer, on a winder etc etc...i get my kit out, set up, sit down and fish...if i have to keep getting up and down to get something out or re-rig, unload a winder etc ect i'd never have any time to fish!

Zerkalo

Some good laughs in this thread, I lost top 4 sections of a pole on Gearys Level, quite a big lake, at Packington Somers. Stupidly left it it along the margin while going to chat to my dad and a baited hook must have fell in the edge. Remember casting everywhere with a bomb in the vain hope of retreiving it. Not funny when it happens.

PAB

Site Supporter
I don't know why brollys don't come with decent guy ropes it is the first thing I wack in if I think I might need to use a brolly seen to many go sailing.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I've got a Daiwa brolly. What is the reason for the two zippered openings in two of the opposite panels?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Dale View brolly.jpg

Not a cloud in the sky
The brollies owner had opened it to dry it out following a drenching a day or two earlier
It was a nice, still day so it wasn't secured and a sudden gust of wind flipped it over and propelled it into the lake.

Two things to be aware of - firstly brollies are not water tight - they leak around the centre boss and we could watch this brolly slowly sinking - secondly when you cast over to retrieve it, pull it back very slowly otherwise it'll tilt, fill with water and sink and, unless you got some sea gear with you you'll struggle to pull an open brolly from the bottom of the lake.
This one was successfully retrieved (y)

Simon

davylad

I'm planning on going hopefully tomorrow night, to try and retrieve it. It's not the brolly, but I feel I should as some anglers especially in the colder months will be chucking a feeder out where it is. I'm not a young kid any more, but if need be, can get myself in and just feel around for it, the water will be quite warm, so I might enjoy it. (y)