A Good time,A Good trip and a Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Sunday the 21st was going to be special, although plans were already going awry!

Firstly, the Sunday rain had swollen the rivers and things were going to be tougher for fishing!
Secondly, although I had arranged to leave my car and travel down with my visitor, near paranoia had overtaken me following the theft of my fishing tackle last Tuesday and I had decided that it would be safer to drive both cars to our destination.

My guest was the man with the magic Camera, Tony, better known as Teepee on the forums.
He was to be the first to take up my offer of a day on the River Trent stretch of my new PAD club, as when I offered the trip, he quickly replied and I have been looking forward to spending the day with this Rotherham man, who has shown such a cracking sense of humour on his posts, coupled with Yorkshire bluntness and truth!
Call a spade etc. and never more so than with Tony!

He arrived at our Junction 29 meeting on the M1 at 8.00 am, had forgotten his mobile! And so couldnt get on to me too much over the 2 car convoy!

This quickly became a 3 car, as we picked up Darryl at Trowel Services, now that he is also intending to join PAD.

Then I really blotted my copybook, by leading them off the M1 at junction 24A OK, but taking the Exit2 instead of 3 on the A50!!! After a 3 mile Sightseeing tour, we were back on the right road and quickly arrived at Barrow-on-Trent
However, I shall never be able to call Les The Navigator again!
(Tony will see to that!)

PAD is as totally secure as any fishery can get!
Off a cul-de-sac back road of the village, you open a gate, down a private drive to a locked gate at the end.
Opening this you arrive in a meadow, with a driveway all around it.
Securing the lock, you proceed left, past the lake and reach the Trent at peg 4 (1-3 are through another locked gate, behind the lake)

Turning right here, you drive behind pegs 4-20, with parking behind each peg.
At peg 20, you can turn right again and follow the hedge back to the main gate!

Although the club has had this stretch since 1998, In the EAs new handbook on Clubs along the River Trent there is still no mention of it! So you are hardly likely to even see a Bailiff!

When we arrived, some 3 or 4 cars were already parked adjacent to the first 10 or so pegs!
I had fished with the match secretary John, on Saturday and he had assured me that there was no match on this weekend!
Dodo!
It transpired that a 20 peg full match had been booked!
And I was hoping to fish the lower pegs, which I have been told fish better in raised river conditions!

Luckily, Tony was most understanding, the Portland people had only half there members turn up and their match secretary had no problem with us fishing empty (although paid for) pegs and they started at 8.00, so were finishing at 1.00pm and, if wished for, we could move then.
So, having looked at the pegs, we set up, Darryl on 16, Tony 17 and I on 18.

Heres the scene!

Datafile.jpg

We all started off on the feeder, with Tony and I close in and Darryl trying long throws with heavier feeders.
The river was up and pulling hard, so it was difficult and there was a lot of weed build up.

I was more concerned that the others should enjoy, so I joined Tony on his peg and we chatted away on many topics, as you do when you finally have chance to talk at normal speed, rather than the (in my case) exceptionally slow, typing speed!

Tony had switched to the Stick float, but again was finding the normal rod length line difficult, due to the current speed.

However, I was relieved, when switching to trotting down only a foot from the bank, Tony caught the 1st Fish.
A Skimmer fell for his maggot offering, followed shortly by a Roach.

Heres his reaction!

Datafile.jpg

Soon afterwards, the match finished and we decided to investigate the lower pegs.

I showed Peg 1, where I had encountered an unstoppable run when I tried it earlier as posted, Peg 7, where I caught a good bag quickly on the stick! Peg 2, where I had been told was a Barbel lair and we all agreed that 4,looked the same type of swim as 2, with an overhanging bush feature, plus 5 & 6 looked Stick swims like 7!

We eventually chose 1 for me (I wanted to find out if I could locate the big one again!
2 for Darryl, (Barbel hunting) and Tony took 7.

Darryl had brought me some of the new wire/braid combination material and so I tied this direct to the size 6 hook and cast out a smelt!
Chub and Barbel may fancy this, but if it were a Pike that had beaten me, I would have a chance to find out at least!

Suddenly, Darryl shouted from the next peg, but by the time I got there, his line was slack and the hook length snapped!
Convinced it was a Barbel, as he was rolling Campbells Meat Balls under the willow tree at the end of the swim, He ruefully commented on the sheer strength of the fish, helped by the fast current!
Tony and I were not catching, although I was getting quite a few small bites if I put a feeder out, but I wanted a Barbel or chub too, so I put out meat on a second rod!

Twice more Darryl had a Barbel on!
One bent his hook and the next pulled out!

Tony abandoned his Stick on Peg7 and moved to Peg 4, to try for his own Barbel!

Then Darryl was onto his 4th fish, called for landing assistance and I ran and grabbed his small net!
(Ran, me!! Well ambled!)

Tony came up and took this sequence!

Look at the bend in that rod!

Datafile.jpg

After a time (and one or two abortive efforts!)

I got the fish in the net!

Datafile.jpg

And finally Darryl was able to display this cracking specimen that weighed in at 8lbs exactly.
Datafile.jpg

Shortly afterwards, I had a run on the carp/braid rod and called for Darryl.
Almost at the same time Tony called from upstream, so I landed my own fish happily, but was distressed to find that Tony had pulled out of a hard fighting Barbel too!

My Fish weighed in at exactly 4 lbs, but it wasnt our Barbel friend, it was a fine Chub!

Datafile.jpg

During the day, I spotted a man walking a dog, that turned out to be the landlord of our stretch.
I thanked him for granting permission for the Trent Fish-in and he replied, Ive just got you some more free stuff to help you enjoy it
It turned out a pub was throwing out some seats, so we now have these 5 benches, to sit around the fire site, which is behind peg 20!
Datafile.jpg

So, we had all caught!
The day had been hard, but the laughs many and as usual, the Company Great.
The weather was not at all bad for the day, but yesterdays rain had put the fish down and I regretted that Tony had not caught a better quality fish!

So he did!

At around 7.00, with a great beam, I was able to take this (very poor) photo.

Amazingly the chub went exactly 3lbs and I bet youll never get a run of 3 fish that weigh exactly in lbs for a very long time!

Datafile.jpg

So, to us the day drew to a very satisfactory close.
Yeah, the carp lakes would have produced more fish perhaps, but Boy these were earned!

Darryl was over the moon with his Barbel; Tony agreed the day was fun and me?
Well, you know Im happy just being by the river!

We moved off in convoy again and Tony and I dropped into our Club Pub at Shardlow (Darryls not a drinking man)
A quick pint and then back up the M1, 29 for me, 35 for Tony and a shared memory day to add to the MDs portfolio of happy meetings!
Thanks Teepee, glad you enjoyed and took the trouble to join us

The next day!
An accident caused traffic slowness as I retraced my journey down the M1 to meet Darryl as we were going to fish the Derwent AND in the swim where he took the 7lb+ chub!
So I didnt reach Darryl until 7.15am.

On arrival, we had resolved to travel light, as it was a long walk from the car park.

Making sure the car was empty, we set off and Darryl was distressed to find that the previous empty final meadow was now full of young calves!

As you know from the forums, the last thing he can take is Bull---t! And it was everywhere!

Even down in the swims, the cattle could enter to drink (and usually leave a deposit!
However, I am less bothered by it! (Perhaps I suffer more from it LOL)
So I happily set up in the Chub swim.

Datafile.jpg

Yes, youve guessed it, Fish across and underneath that willow!

And, yes, I went in to it several times! Broke several hook-lengths and cocked it up more than once, (but more of that later!)

Darryl chose the swim to my right.

Datafile.jpg

I started on worm and it wasnt long before I caught my first Derwent Perch!

You may recall, a 3lb Perch is one of my targets, inspired by Archie Braddocks Diaries and whilst this one was not even a pound in weight, He was my 1st!
Datafile.jpg

I caught 2 or 3 more, smaller perch and each was particularly dark and well defined.

Darryl was plagued with flies and fed up of walking in the mess the cows had left, whereas I (as usual) was sedentary in my chair and happy fishing.

So at about 1.00 Oclock, he went roaming, as we really both should have done, as we have so much water to explore!

I now switched to meat and experienced a tiny twitch on the 1st cast!
Leaving it to develop, I waited.
It didnt, so after 2 or 3 minutes, I became uneasy that the bait might have gone, so I started to wind in!
And immediately found myself fighting this 3lb 15oz Chub!
Datafile.jpg

Now I have never experienced Chub biting shyly and then sitting on the bait before, and mused whether it had taken it just as I had started to reel in? I will never know, but was pleased to find out that there was another fine chub (although nothing to compare with 7lbs) beneath that tree.

On arrival, we had commented about the sheer number of slugs by the rivers and discussed my recent post regarding my 1st ever chub taken on slug.
About now, I noticed one and with larger chub taking natural baits in mind, overcame my aversion and put it on the hook.

Sat back, without much anticipation, but was amazed 2 minutes later to see the tip whap! round and struck into, what was unmistakeably a Barbel!
I say Struck into, because the run nearly pulled the rod from my hand, pointed it towards the fish and the hook pulled out!
Cursing, I tried to remember if I had ever heard of Barbel taking slugs? And failed!

I immediately looked for another one and guess what!
Whereas earlier there were scores, now, afternoon time, they were all hiding from the sun!
Putting on meat again, I cast out! Into the tree! Pulled for the break and started to retie the hook length!

Having only the swivel to attach, I decided on a quick coffee and so of course, I found my slug!

Datafile.jpg

Isnt it always the same with a Zippy story?
Expect the unexpected!

This smaller slug loaded, I tossed it straight into the tree again, but was able to see it bounce out and fall perfectly with the bomb into the chub hole.

I didnt have to wait long!
Small bite on quiver, good pull, Strike AND

Another Perch!
Small again!

So something else I have learnt today!
Perch as well as Chub and Barbel like slugs!
Just wish they werent so loathsome to touch and hook!

Back to the meat and within a few minutes another wrenching bite!
Definitely a Big Barbel!
I clicked on to backwind, but the reel didnt perform? A lunge, rod directly pointing at the fish and the inevitable crack-off!

Had I reverted to my nightmare time on the Dove?
What was happening?

Then it dawned!
Following twice casting into the tree, I had line clipped after the slug had bounced off it and like an idiot, not unclipped!
The clutch had no chance, neither did the back-wind!

Shortly afterwards, Darryl returned, packed and feeling unwell, so we called it a day and set off home,

I had thoroughly enjoyed my 1st lower Derwent day and we discussed plans for the future.
I fished badly, but learnt!

Tiredness? Weakness from the long walk? Perhaps both, but theres a match tomorrow!

Tuesday 23rd.

Today I fished Snibston Lake, Nr Coalville, in a PAD match.
Heavy overnight rain meant the following result

12 fished
2 men caught 3 fish between them!
I fished from 9.00 t0 2.30pm without a bite!
I learnt nothing.
Method descriptions would be meaningless!

Such is Fishing

BUT
Dove tomorrow,
Martin and Sammy on the PAD Trent Thursday,
Elvington Friday night!

Its a Dogs Life LOL

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Trev

Thats a marvellous looking bit of river - and some excellent fish too!

Didn't realise the stretch of the Trent you were fishing was so close to Swarkestone, I've had some great sessions down there (although it was a few years ago now)

If you've got any more trips planned down there count me in!

Its only a 300 mile round trip from the deepest, darkest north-east and i'm sure I could persuade another of the MD's from up here to accompany me.

Tight Lines

Simon

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another great post,
And some lovely fish to boot,don't you just hate some people?

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev
some lovely fish but on thur ive got to get a small perch to start with i cant let my reputation go down
brill report see you 0730 thur im ready to go now after reading this

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

danzante

Trev,
Scouse and i fished the Dane today and there were thousands of slugs beneath our feet...is it the mating season?

great read again, Mark Twain. icon_smile.gif

Danny

martin.

Account Locked
hi danny
if it is you cant join in thats reserved for the moderators
they cant keep up with the sheep

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Trev, great report as always, thats why i did'nt report the day because you're so much better with your own descriptive way,

I would just like to say what a great day i had, and thank Trev and Darryl for a memorable day, a free days fishing, and Trev even bought me a pint of John Smiths before getting me back to the M1 for my journey home.

For those of you who are going to Trevs fishin on the Trent i can assure you it will be a fishin to remember, if ever there was a stretch of river ideal for a fishin then this is it, lets just hope the weather dos'nt spoil the river, i no it wont dampen our spirits but if the fishing is good as well all the better.

Once again Trev cheers, (look forward to more of the same)

teepee.

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Hi Trev, another cracking report,thay are so entertaining you realy should think about putting these reports in a book but then again that would take up to much fishing time, I cant wait for the trent fish-in so that I can sample some of this river fishing

Dai Fish

darryl

nice report trev ,great company great fishing you just can`t beat it

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks all,
Danny,
Ref slugs!
I dont know about the breeding season, but yeah, there's millions of 'em.
BUT, only at Dawn and dusk!
looked for some yesterday and today, could only find the 1 I described yesterday and same today around 12.00
Guess they don't like the sun!

I'm gonna try and remember to gather a few next early/late session. Try and save 'em in a tub with a lettuce leaf or two.

Used not to believe in 'em, but always willing to learn and they proved to me they work! (Anything to chase a Barbel)
After the last all night session, I found that when I packed up, about 2 hours afterdawn, 2 of 'em must have stuck to my luggage!
Missus had a fit at them crawling on the floor after I got home!

Didnt help that she found some maggots in the fridge!
Well they were in a bait box labelled 'Sweetcorn/ LOL
It worked for a while! icon_smile.gif

I'll let you know if a) they keep and b) they catch.
I still hate touching the slimy little blee---s!

Cheers

Trev
PS Nice to see my Liverpudlian mate, MR Scouse showing you the Dane.
Hope to join you one day!

Trev
PPS
Simon, you have a private message!
Also, look under forum, Fish-Ins/Trent fish in, book early if you can make Sept., nearly full now

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - outstanding report and well up to your usual high standards.

Sounds like the fishing was fun.

Meybe with all those hook pulls and line breaks, you ought to consider heavier stuff? Those bigguns should be great to get in the net.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Newt,
Glad to see you, where have you been?

Thinking of you and of course you are right!

Martin and Sammy are joining me in just over an hour, to have a try for their 1st Barbel on the same swims!
I went and pre-baited yesterday.
My normal kit (12lb reel line, 10lb bottom on method feeder rods) would easily overcome a bigger fish on a snag free water, but here!

The damn Barbel know every snag, so I.ve loaded for Bear!

30 lb Powerpro Mainline,20lb Powerpro hooklength (That yellow that I bought off you in May) Size 2 circle hook (Again, what I brought from yours) on a 2.5lb test Carp Rod!

Wish us luck, report Friday if poss. after Elvington if not!

PS, Kahle and Circle work for Barbel, but some of the lazer bronze kahles are too weak!
The darker forged metal quality superb!

Trev icon_smile.gif

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - sounds like you are ready for them. Good hunting. icon_smile.gif

I have had a somewhat hectic several weeks - nothing bad but busy and way too little fishing. Leaving tomorrow for Orlando, FL for the wedding of a son. Hopefully after that, I can get back in a reasonable routine. And fish more. LOL

I agree about some of the hook brands being a bit under-strength for the job at hand. I really like the Gamakatsu hooks for both circle and kahle (which they call a shiner hook). Little more expensive but never had one fail me yet.

I've also been looking at several brands of "drop shot" hooks (including the one Gamakatsu is making). Sort of a circle/kahle hybred and designed for the bass guys to use with a specific type of finesse rig. So far, looking good. Just gotta remember they are all smaller than their size would indicate. For instance, I got a pack of #4 hooks and they seem more like they should be a #7-8.

I used them the other day for bluegills (trying to catch some catfish bait) and was actually catching lots of the tiddlers that usually just steal my bait and never get hooked. Couldn't believe the small size of some of the fish I caught on those things. I estimate 2-3oz for some of them. Too small for lives for flathead catfish but fine if a couple on the hook as dead baits which the blue catfish seem to favor over lives. The water was too warm (around 30) and I was having very little luck with pieces of lobworm. However, I tried dipping the pieces in a shad-flavored oil and all of a sudden, they were liking it. I knew crickets would have done better but I wanted the lobworms to use as channel catfish bait that night and didn't want to waste a bunch of crickets so didn't take any.

And BTW - those two spots where you were getting a fish-a-chuck have gone completely dead. Way too warm I think so the fish have moved. I could probably sit and bait up the swims and get em back eventually but easier to just move to find them. Picked up the occasional single fish but never located any concentrations. Probably deeper this time of year would have done it. After I had gotten enough 'gills for the night and still had some daylight left I started fishing a plastic worm and was getting takes on the bottom at 10-20 feet.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.