A First For Me

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
First club match of the year at Decoy (Willows) yesterday and I had something happen for the first time ever.

Having just landed a 10lb carp on straight lead and sinking BandUm I dropped the lead, bait still on the hair, in between my keepnets while getting the carp safely stowed away. Picked up the rod and thought I had hooked my keepnet but the "keepnet" fought back. Turned out to be a barbel of around 3 1/2lb.

Added bonus that helped me to third place.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Has happened to me when fishing maggot and it's usually a little Perch. 😁 3.5lb Barbel though, nice! And well done on third place. (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
First club match of the year at Decoy (Willows) yesterday and I had something happen for the first time ever.

Having just landed a 10lb carp on straight lead and sinking BandUm I dropped the lead, bait still on the hair, in between my keepnets while getting the carp safely stowed away. Picked up the rod and thought I had hooked my keepnet but the "keepnet" fought back. Turned out to be a barbel of around 3 1/2lb.

Buy some lottery tickets Neil. 🤣🤣

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Happened to me on Friday. I'd shipped in to put some micros in my pot & left the expander dangling in the water at my feet. A big F1 grabbed it.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Seen it on a few top class anglers videos where they throw a few pellets just where they chuck lead or feeder in whilst they catapult bait out after landing a fish. Yet to happen to me 😭😭😭😭

robert d

Site Supporter
Seen it on a few top class anglers videos where they throw a few pellets just where they chuck lead or feeder in whilst they catapult bait out after landing a fish. Yet to happen to me 😭😭😭😭
The craziest thing i had was at woodlands Thirsk ,chucking feeder no mire than 15m ,feeder hits water ,fish on ,happened about 6 times in an hour spell , i dont know how they got hookbait that quick as it was pressed in the micros and covered again .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah the old accidental dangling a bait in the edge whilst doing something else trick, have had many a fish doing that but never anything as good as a barbel!

Perch, Rudd and Carp tend to be the main culprits when it comes to it happening on lakes for me with bleak and chublet taking their place on rivers. I’ve done it a few times at sea as well, mostly in warmer climes but pretty sure I’ve had it happen with mackerel here as well.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I always plumb up and have a line by the keepnets, that’s where all the bait, gets dropped whilst filling kinder pots etc...caught plenty by accident just dropping the rig in whilst doing something else 💁‍♂️and caught plenty just fishing it properly there

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Actually, thinking about it, I had my one and only bitterling on a bare hook from Decoy's Horseshoe lake. Rig was dangling off the edge of the platform while I adjusted shotting or depth.

robert d

Site Supporter

Well done Neil ,top angling

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
The craziest thing i had was at woodlands Thirsk ,chucking feeder no mire than 15m ,feeder hits water ,fish on ,happened about 6 times in an hour spell , i dont know how they got hookbait that quick as it was pressed in the micros and covered again .
Solid!

Simon R

Site Supporter
One of the lakes at (I think) Forest Lane fishery in North Yorkshire has a good head of barbel and the venue regulars arrange their keepnets so there's a reasonable gap between them and fish there for the barbel - no more than a metre or two from the bank.

Apparently no feed is required - the barbel will just arrive - and by feeding the area you get pestered by carp that wreck the swim when hoked and push the barbel out.

Simon

The Runner

Site Supporter
Did that in an open on the Colne at West Drayton once. Had just landed a (foul hooked ) bream , got a load of branches and stuff tangled in landing net , so propped rod up on carryall with empty feeder dangling above the water and two slimed red maggots dangling just in the water next to the wall while I sorted it out. Looked round and top was slamming right over. 3 pound chub, framed, got called all sorts of names ....

Spadger123

They catch loads at Weston like that.
When my local commie Lingmere had a big head of Barble we would target them between the nets.
Seen lads get 100lb of em right next to or in-between the nets.

SeanB

Site Supporter
One of the lakes at (I think) Forest Lane fishery in North Yorkshire has a good head of barbel and the venue regulars arrange their keepnets so there's a reasonable gap between them and fish there for the barbel - no more than a metre or two from the bank.

Apparently no feed is required - the barbel will just arrive - and by feeding the area you get pestered by carp that wreck the swim when hoked and push the barbel out.

Simon
Tollerton near York is similar.

BAD H

Pelletmeister

Had you been washing your buckets out there beforehand(y):ROFLMAO: