A few issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Hi

Why is it every time an angler finds a winning bait or method, 90% of Commercial fisherys ban them,for example, we have the method just as I get round to mastering it and after laying out a good few quid on a good method rod and special feeders I now find most venues wont let you use it when I have approached the fishery venues the only valid reason I get is its the elastic in the feeder, so whats next banning using the pole after all fishing the method is a similar set up when the fish is hooked.(I know there are other forms of using the method feeder but the original one used elastic)
Then we have no groundbait allowed, yet when we buy the groundbaits they are so called fish friendly and the groundbait companies have spent 1000 of pounds on research and development with fish safety in mind ?.
Then, and this really riles me NO KEEPNETS 99% of venues have this, I dont think I have wet my keepnet this year (and its not down to me not catching) I went out and purchased a top of the range commercial fish friendly net, yet fish a match and you can use one no problems talk about double standards again, when I approach owners about this the only valid reason is a pleasure angler keeps his or her net in the water longer but most venues have matches on most days, a typical example to this is Ireland many anglers have over 100llb of fish in there keep nets and what harm comes to the fish when your nets used correctly I will tell you none.
The list is endless and I could go on all day but at the end of the day if it wasnt for anglers there would not be any commercial fisherys, a harsh statement I know, but true, you think of the money the average angler spends on day tickets a year and youre running in to millions of pounds.
I know commercial fisherys are the future of angling in many anglers eyes and I applaud them for the way they have promoted this superb sport of ours but lets have a fair deal thats all I and many other anglers ask, 99% of anglers have common sense and love this sport I know you get 1% of idiots who will try to abuse something but thats a fact of life and we get it or them in all walks of life.
I for one would love to see some kind of poll run on this subject bet you a fiver 70% or more of anglers would like to use there keepnets etc etc.

Datafile2.gif
Happiness is playin wif yer rod

G

Al it all boils down to the owners mate, yes it is annoying when you cannot use a state of the art net,as with other bit of tackle.

Have you tried inline method feeders,or are they banned.

Look at it from the fishery owners point of view,on some of the large places, millions of pounds have been invested for the pleasure angler, and the match angler,a lot of money i think you would agree.

Keep nets mate, one of the reasons for banning keepnets is desease, deseases are spread by nets,some owners have dips for the nets,on many occation i have seen anglers who do not use the provided dips[:(!]the outcome is a total ban,the owner is looking after his investment, and continuing to provide the angler with a venue to fish.

I agree with you that some of the bans are a bit stupid,and often contradict one rule to another,but thats the rules of the owner.

Have you joined a club,if you have not i would advise you to join one, have a look around your area, look at the rules of the club, see what waters they have,etc etc.But most of all make sure the rules suit your needs

I think you will find that clubs do allow keepnets to be used, but having said that some dont.

Hope this has helped you Al,

PS
I dont need a keep ney cos i dont catch owt [;)][;)][;)],and i have the pictures and witnesses to prove it [;)][;)].

PPS
When you attend a future M/Ds fish in are you going to provide us with the entertainment[:D][:D] F.O.C i hope,
Thanks for your invite mate, let you know when i can,[:D][:D]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Al,

Got to agree with you on the keepnet issue, I for one would like to see the results of a day's fishing all together at the end but its as Toma said regarding spreading of diseases rather than anything else.

A few fisheries that I know of have banned them for pleasure angling and are now starting to provide their own keepnets for matches so that they can ensure that no viruses are bought in.

As for method feeders here are a few ideas: www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/1394 from a previous thread.

Bait bans, love 'em or hate them, I don't think we'll ever get down to the bottom of that one as there are so many different reasons and excuses and often they vary depending on the water.

Get on the rivers, no bans there in most cases and I can't think of anything better than standing up to your thighs in running water with a keepnet in front of you doubling as a rod rest and a maggotbag around your kneck. The steady sound of running water and watching a stickfloat winding its way down stream, every now and again lifting as the line is halted to lift the bait in the water, tempting the dace into going for it.....

..... sorry drifting away there lol

Dave

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Yeah i know about using other kinds of method feeders mate but why, same principel as the pole in miniture ?,as i stated before i don't know of one commercial fishery who does not have matches do you ? it's double standards so fishery owners allow you to use there nets for matches well why not pleasure fishermen and woman ? I fully agree with the comment from Toma on fishery owners spending a hell of a lot of money and apprciate that but not half as much as we anglers spend on day tickets and at the end of the day if we anglers didn't fish em they would not be there.
I know people will say if yer don't like the rules talk with your feet and walk away, it just riles me the double standard thing, Dave brought a superb comment up in his post about rivers no bans on them is there baits or nets etc etc very rarely here about problems on rivers using groundbait or nets do we ?.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave

Why did you have to stop there! you had me drifting away as-well.[:D]

teepee.

norm

the ban that done my head in last week was no floating baits

why the hell not for god sake

there was also a size 14 hook max rule
but in the little shop they had on site they sold 1"pellets
so a 14 hook would prob be no good at all

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Al, i can sympathise with you, when you want to fish a certain way or use whatever you've bought,but as toma says its up to the fishery owner its his pond and he can decide what can and what cant be used, i must admit it dos'nt really bother me that i cant use a k/net or acertain bait or method as long as its the same for everyone,

theres not much you can do about the k/net rule apart from fish where its allowed..

if you think of the other bans in a positive way and think of the variants to the bans, these are the anglers that do well at a venue.
different venues have different rules and that all adds to the challenge,

as regards the method feeder if you adapt to the variation of using it without the elastic you'll find its better anyway and your method rod is still the right rod for the job,

what suits one angler dos'nt suit another, is it the future of angling, we've got these purpose built venues car parking behind your peg at most places toilets, cafe's, tackle shops on site,lakes full of fish, catching weights that were never heard of years ago, and we still moan.. thats not getting at you Al, but i wonder do we know when we're well off.

we can't have it all or can we?

teepee.

G

Had me going as well tony,,[:D][:D]

Oi Dave stick to the post issue and stop yer day dreaming [;)][;)][;)].

Al the method feeder mate, same principal as the pole, but there is one thing, a method feeder is a lot heavier than a pole float,more than likely the line will give as opposed to the elastic, so if the line snapped at the elastic on the method feeder, the outcome would be a fish swimming around with a heavy method feeder being towed, imhothats why an inline feeder should be used.

As Dave said mate get on the rivers,[:D][:D][:D].

catch me if u can
Andy,

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Keepnets and Bans

Two very emotive subjects,

First off Keepnets.........never has there been a time when such good fish friendly nets have been available to anglers....it's almost impossible to find a BAD net in a tackle shop these days so why the ban on commercials?

Well the average match lasts for 5 maybe 6 hours and nearly all fisheries insist on 2 nets nowadays
(1 for Carp and 1 for silvers)
to prevent crush injuries to the fish come the weigh-in.On some of the real bagging waters down here they are also insisting on half-time weigh-ins,to prevent too many fish being crammed into nets.

Unfortunatly for the "pleasure" angler his/her sessions tend to last considerably longer than 5-6 hours,more like 8-10 and it's the thought of a lot of fish being retained for this length of time,possibly carp and silvers in the 1 net(many pleasure anglers only having the 1 net)that leads to owners putting the net bans in place.

Bait & Method bans.

Most of these tend to come about because of matches.
You'll find that if angler A comes up with a method or bait that gives him an edge, then the rest of the competitors start to moan to the fishery owner and let it be known that unless X,Y or Z is banned then they will fish elsewhere in future.

So in an effort to protect income/revenue it gets banned and a couple of months down the line angler A is again cleaning up,and the vicious circle starts again.
The trouble being that the thinking angler will always be ahead of the game,and those that try to blindly copy will always be playing catch-up.

Sometimes it's a bait that catches on,and there will always be those that overdo it feeding 10 maybe 20 tins/pints of whatever bait almost in an attempt to buy fish,not a problem if done in isolation,but on a small venue with virtually every peg adopting these tactics,then if all this bait doesn't get eaten and just sits on the bottom breaking down/decaying? then water quality can suffer,possibly endangering fish stocks.

What would you do if you were the owner with a considerable sum of money invested????????

Put a ban/limit in place.?

It all comes down to protecting an investment.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
O I agree totally with your comments 100% my main point here is double standards i fully respect a fishery owner as the right to say you can't use this and u can't do this, and i agree we are spoilt now more than 10 years ago the thing i can't understand and i am sorry for harping on is for instance u cant use nets pleasure fishing but u can match fishing and like Norm said you couldent use a certain bait on a venue he fished but you could buy in the venues tackle shop, i also fully agree that if its the same for everyone then we abide by it but it's not is it it's one rule for the match angler and one for the pleasure angler of which i do both, i don't think its right, Once again sorry for harping on but it's just the way i feel.
As for the method thanks for the advice much appreciated be hard to use with no groundbait tho lol

G

LoL Al, forgot about the bait on it.

No mate i thought you meant the elasticated ones, not the whole thing, bait as well,

Then again is it because of the elastic on the method mate,????

catch me if u can
Andy,

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Fair enough mate and valid comments so why can't the pleasure angler have the choice of using 2 nets or better still let the venue provide the nets and charge the angler a small charge everyones happy all round then at least the pleasure angler will have the choice.
I don't hold with this time limit thing as i said all u need to do is ask anglers about Ireland as i said in a earlier post
As for (Most of these tend to come about because of matches.
You'll find that if angler A comes up with a method or bait that gives him an edge, then the rest of the competitors start to moan to the fishery owner and let it be known that unless X,Y or Z is banned then they will fish elsewhere in future)
Surely the angler who finds the bait and method to catch fish should be commended sounds like sour grapes to me, i have heard anglers many times slating other anglers for always drawing a decent peg or if he didn't get that bream i would have stuffed him, doesent matter what peg you draw you still have to catch the fish and if he does get that bream its down to his skill as an angler again its back to the same old words double standards.
quote:Originally posted by peter

Keepnets and Bans

Two very emotive subjects,

First off Keepnets.........never has there been a time when such good fish friendly nets have been available to anglers....it's almost impossible to find a BAD net in a tackle shop these days so why the ban on commercials?

Well the average match lasts for 5 maybe 6 hours and nearly all fisheries insist on 2 nets nowadays
(1 for Carp and 1 for silvers)
to prevent crush injuries to the fish come the weigh-in.On some of the real bagging waters down here they are also insisting on half-time weigh-ins,to prevent too many fish being crammed into nets.

Unfortunatly for the "pleasure" angler his/her sessions tend to last considerably longer than 5-6 hours,more like 8-10 and it's the thought of a lot of fish being retained for this length of time,possibly carp and silvers in the 1 net(many pleasure anglers only having the 1 net)that leads to owners putting the net bans in place.

Bait & Method bans.

Most of these tend to come about because of matches.
You'll find that if angler A comes up with a method or bait that gives him an edge, then the rest of the competitors start to moan to the fishery owner and let it be known that unless X,Y or Z is banned then they will fish elsewhere in future.

So in an effort to protect income/revenue it gets banned and a couple of months down the line angler A is again cleaning up,and the vicious circle starts again.
The trouble being that the thinking angler will always be ahead of the game,and those that try to blindly copy will always be playing catch-up.

Sometimes it's a bait that catches on,and there will always be those that overdo it feeding 10 maybe 20 tins/pints of whatever bait almost in an attempt to buy fish,not a problem if done in isolation,but on a small venue with virtually every peg adopting these tactics,then if all this bait doesn't get eaten and just sits on the bottom breaking down/decaying? then water quality can suffer,possibly endangering fish stocks.

What would you do if you were the owner with a considerable sum of money invested????????

Put a ban/limit in place.?

It all comes down to protecting an investment.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Last edited:

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
So ban poles ?
quote:Originally posted by toma

LoL Al, forgot about the bait on it.

No mate i thought you meant the elasticated ones, not the whole thing, bait as well,

Then again is it because of the elastic on the method mate,????

catch me if u can
Andy,

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Al, as i said think positive, if you cant use g/bait squeese pellets around the feeder or adapt a maggot feeder,

the reason elastic method feeders are banned is because if the feeder gets snagged and the line breaks above the feeder a fish can become tethered.
unlike with an inline feeder.

teepee.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:I don't hold with this time limit thing as i said all u need to do is ask anglers about Ireland

Sorry mate got to disagree there,Having been to Ireland on a few occaisions I have seen some nasty examples of big bags of bream kept in nets for far too long just so that people can get a trophy shot.
Fish going back almost red raw cause to many fish have been kept in nets for to long.[:(!]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Well if i had seen that mate i would hold my hands up but i haven't, it's all about common sense mate at the end of the day ie: peggin net out, dont bother in hot weather etc etc everyone as there own opinions and thats what makes our hobby and sport so great.
quote:Originally posted by peter

quote:I don't hold with this time limit thing as i said all u need to do is ask anglers about Ireland

Sorry mate got to disagree there,Having been to Ireland on a few occaisions I have seen some nasty examples of big bags of bream kept in nets for far too long just so that people can get a trophy shot.
Fish going back almost red raw cause to many fish have been kept in nets for to long.[:(!]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Your missing my point mate i know about inline method feeding and using paste etc etc it's the double standard thing i am on about tight lines mate.
quote:Originally posted by teepee

Al, as i said think positive, if you cant use g/bait squeese pellets around the feeder or adapt a maggot feeder,

the reason elastic method feeders are banned is because if the feeder gets snagged and the line breaks above the feeder a fish can become tethered.
unlike with an inline feeder.

teepee.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:it's all about common sense mate at the end of the day ie: peggin net out, dont bother in hot weather etc etc everyone as there own opinions and thats what makes our hobby and sport so great.

Couldn't agree more Al[;)]

Unfortunatly for every contientious angler out there,there are probably 2-3 that don't give a damn/haven't got a clue.
Hopefully it's sites like this that might help to educate people.

A friend of mine that went to Ireland this year has told me of Two waters that farmers have closed to anglers because of the amounts of rubbish left in the pegs..............a crying shame,just because some Morons are too damn lazy to take their rubbish home.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry drifted off the subject a bit there [:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Status