A day's tuition with who ?

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
You might not learn a great deal though,he has been dead for forty years.

Indeed. He's probably up there now teaching St Peter how to fish properly and running matches for his past mates who've since joined him. Maybe when it's time to meet my maker he'll allow me to sit with Billy for a while and learn.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Maesknoll has hit the nail on the head - it depends what tuition will help you most. Because you need to be able to see at least a few quick results or improvements for it to be worth doing.

For instance, the majority of magazine articles on commercial fisheries involve the angler saying what groundbait he uses when cupping or balling it in. Yet a lot of fisheries ban groundbait except in feeders. Similarly, there's a lot of information about margin fishing - but go to Decoy and shallow margins are almost non-existent in most swims. If you go to angler who has come to rely on a particular approach to catch fish it may be a disappointing day out.

The top anglers mentioned so far no doubt have vast knowledge, and the temptation is to try to see what they do, but it may be better for some posters to get someone who can make the necessary adjustments to your own tackle and tactics on your own waters. It depends on how competent you are already.

In that regard you may find that for the first time, you go to someone who is a noted expert on your local waters, but still offer to pay them. They will immediately know what problems you are facing, because they will have faced them themselves. Don't try to walk before you can run. :)

No one could adjust to any circumstances like Ivan, though of all the top anglers I fished with all were brilliant. But Alan Scotthorne, Steve Gardener and Kim Milsom made the biggest impression on me. I never fished with Will Raison, but Alan Scotthorne insisted that Will was in a class of his own.

genesis

Account Locked
I have had three separate individual coaching days with Tommy Pickering. Two at Lindholme on pole and feeder and one at Southfield on distance fishing and he learnt something new every time. In fact I like to think I have contributed in some way to making him the angler he is today.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I have had three separate individual coaching days with Tommy Pickering. Two at Lindholme on pole and feeder and one at Southfield on distance fishing and he learnt something new every time. In fact I like to think I have contributed in some way to making him the angler he is today.
Can I ask how much you charged him for the privilege of releasing your vast knowledge??

Northantslad

'Any indications?
As a couple have said, am sure a day with any top angler is rewarding, but try as they might and not for lack of trying as some are very good i hear, but aside from helping someone on a particular tactic, what they think, how they think and how they almost instinctively suss out the right decision mid match is what makes them.

On the features point too, have felt for ages, that sometimes recreating the circumstances is difficult and is the pinch of salt factor that needs to be in the back of the mind.

Watching one of the Jamie Hughes features the other day and what that chap was talking about was way above my level of comprehension, in terms of knowing what the fish were doing and even what direction they were entering his peg from! That is the sort of thing i think i would need sitting down for and being told on a venue, but then still up to me afterwards to be able to apply it.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
That's what I meant, but didn't write. Being a brilliant angler does not make a teacher. You need someone who can come down to your level and take it from there, in other words put himself in your shoes and take everything from the basics.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Just a sarnie for me mate. Although as long as I have known Tommy he has the same brekkie of tomatoes on toast :(

Last time i sat with him in the pub at Sykehouse he had a Massive sunday Lunch, mind you he said it had been a Windy one on Southfield Res (y)

rudd

Site Supporter
Roger Mortimer - sea fishing (will.ne tapping him up for a casting lesson).
Terry Hearn - Carp/specimen
Bob Nudd - Match

roachman 1960

when i was a kid Jim Sharpe , taught me to fish the stick float on a centrepin on the Trent that was the best lessons and tuition i got