A day to forget......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Well I know we all have days to remember and days to forget but I find it remarkable just how much can go wrong in one day, why does that always happen ?[:D]

Yesterday was our 2nd round supercup encounter at Hartleylands farm in Kent. I had practised several times and managed a 2nd place in an open with 151lb a few weeks previous so was feeling confident.

Spent thurs eve and most of Fri afternoon/eve prepping, tying rigs, hooklengths, sorting baits, making rods etc. Paid particular attention to my pellet wag as this has been the "in" method.
Surprisingly I slept early (around midnight) on Fri as normally prior to matchday the head is spinning with anticipation and excitement. Alarm set for 6.15.

Then it started......5.20am phone is ringing. Its the girlfriends mum "your granddad's lifeline has gone off we need to get round there quick. Now we are the only ones who have a car, I have to get to a match 40 miles away but obviously a family member is in trouble.....so up we get, grab some clothes and off to the GF mothers and then on to Grandad. Thankfully when we get there he is ok (disabled chap) but had spilt a bottle of lucozade over himself and couldn't get out of bed to sort himself out.

No big drama but I'm now about 30 mins late so no meeting up for any breakfast for me...on goes frying pan, quick sausage and bacon sandwich. Make up the sandwich, take a bite argghhhh wtf ? Sausages taste like S**t, seemed ok when they went in the pan but quickly they go in the bin as they are off. ho hum

Load all my tackle in the car and set off....typical no sausage vans open and I really don't fancy another Maccy D Mcmuffin. 10 mins from venue I find a garage selling rip off costa (fortune) coffee, and a quick mars bar and at least I've had something.,....

Get to the venue tad late but then the first good thing happens....peg 23 on Nicks, end of an Island to fish too, easy chuck (25m), wind behind. Out comes the gear, pellet wag, chomper (like a floating feeder)and 4 pole rigs. Mix up my 2kg limit of slop. Spent 10 mins working on pellet wag casting and clipping up. At one point I had a 10oz carp on a bare hook ! Proper bite as well and fairly lip hooked, they must be hungry !

Take the phone out of trouser pockets to check time 9.29 and find I have taken the shed and back door keys with me so GF can't get to the gardening tools or indeed lock the house up and she is planning to be out all afternoon. Quick phone call,Mr popular NOT !

Right then final bait preps. Dig out a bait box to get some water for covering my riddled meet when I trip on the platform edge and am now heading full length, head first into my margin swim[:0] Now I don't know if you guys have done anything similar, thankfully I don't do it that often either but time seemed to stand still. During my "flight" I was able to consider quite clearly that I was about to get very wet, that my money was pocket and **** the phone...........Then it happened, splosh the water engulfed me and a small Tsunami made its way across the lake. Now I would like to think my fellow competitors would rush to my aid, how wrong was I ! feeling a bit hot mate ? While youre in there can you tell me how deep it is under my margin tree Any chance you can have a feel around for the top 3 I lost in that peg last month Thanks Guys !

I clamber out, shed keys still in my pocket ! most of my change also but the 10 note looks a bit worse for wear. But no phone, for F**ks sake, works phone as well . Furtunatley I hadnt yet got dressed for fishing so I have a bib n brace and my garbolino fleece that are dry. Strip off to the tune of The stripper being sung by my urstwhile competitors and hang my washing over the trolley to dry. Then some good luck, having checked the phone for time is actually on my bait tray and I have about 7 mins before the all in to sort the last of the bait out. Seems my only loss, apart from dignity, is some loose change and a preston bait box.

All in, 4 8mm pellet fired out from the catty, pellet waggler straight in after them, hit the clip, perfect, floats buries, missed it Damn! Cast again, spot on, float buries missed it double damn ! cast again, gust of wind, pellet wagg firmly caught up on far bank tree ! Pull for a break and it breaks in just the right place for the pellet wagg to drop from the tree into my peg minus being attached to either the hooklength or mainline and begins its lone voyage to the windward end of the lake bobbing gently in the waves. Rod thrown up the bank, out comes the chomper. Now I have to say my slop mix is spot on, fill the feeder, chuck in out hit, hit the spot bang and my first fish is on. Everything goes ok for the next 60mins or so and Im catching regular but the wind is not making presentation ideal, the sheer size of the chomper and its lightness when the feed has gone means its getting blown out of position far too easily. Take the decision to remake the pellet wagg up. 10 mins later and Im back in action, the catch rate goes up and even tho the wind is making casting difficult I find that by chucking wide of the island, hitting the clip and holding the rod sideways I hit a good spot 95% of the time. Am catching regular and some good fish too and I feel that Im catching my rivals up. Cast, float buries, contact start playing another fish. Then all goes loose, another annoying hook pull..no ! My 6lb maxima mainline has decided to break above the float ! I cant recall ever being broke on the mainline when playing a fish, have broken hook lengths, have snapped mainline on the strike but never in the middle of playing a fish and with the drag set as well. Certainly not my day ! [:I]

Quick look at watch, 95 mins to go. Stomach is complaining about lack of food, maybe its muddling my thinking...[:p]

Hmmmm do I set up pellet wagg again ? Lets try the paste line on the pole. Catch a few but Its slower than the waggler. No worries its getting on towards margin timetry a bit of pellet and meat at 6m, again catch a few but no quicker than the paste and certainly not as quick as the pellet wagg.I know Ill try the banded pellet shallow. Ship out to 8m, helicopter the rig in, bosh elastic ripped out of pole and 4lber is quickly subdued, excellent I have it off now. Ship out to 8m, feed 4 6mm pellets, helicopter, no bite. Repeat no bite, repeat no bite. 15mins later another bite and a 10oz carp is in the net. Grateful but not what Im looking for!

Its margin time, 55 mins to go, carefully feed rig under the tree. Now in my estimation Im more than 20lb behind my section rivals both of whom are still catching regularly on running line but I know these fish are smaller than the lumps that I caught in the last hour a few weeks ago. Im still in with a chance. The float settles perfectly, the sun just catches the tip in what is otherwise shade, 2 1/2 feet below is a piece of red punched meat just waiting for those hungry mouths. And thats all it did, wait ! No liners, no movement no nothing but I have to say if you took a photograph for magazine article this would be the one to show on how to present under a margin tree but the fish simply did not appreciate my efforts ! [:D]

Re-feed and back out to 6m on paste. Slow fishing, back down the margin, a fish, all 1lb of it! Deflated I gave in and crave a quarter pounder with cheese and I don't even like cheese[:p].

I accepted my defeat finishing the match down the edge only having one more carp around 2lb.

Weigh in and I put a surprising 95lb on the scales but it wont be enough my 2 section rivals have caught all day. At one point the guy next door had 7 fish and I did not even have a bite. The first of them weighs, he has much less than I thought, 99lb an agonising 4lb more than me. The next guy weighs, 111lb, thought he had loads more. I hate myself for not setting the pellet wagg up again, I know I would have been up around 120lb fishing it. [V]

Weigh in complete we eagerly await the team result. Bearing in mind we made the final last year we are keen to get there again. But weve had a disaster, no section wins, 3 2nds and 5 lasts including yours truly. Ho hum.

Traipse back to peg to finish packing up. your washings dry mate cheers fella!

did you find my top kit flip off!

Would you say it was 23.5 inches deep under that tree ? to howls of good natured laughter.

Packing up took for ever but I did find my bait box that I thought I lost. The smell of damp,dried fishery washed clothes was not good on the drive home and to the foreign car driver who must have been driving at KMPH rather than the 50MPH cheers for making me endure that smell even longer !

As they say, there is always next week ! [:p]

Last edited:

Method_Man

I've had bad days in the past, but this post has taken the meaning of a bad day to a whole new level. Hopefully I never have to endure a day quite as bad as that.

However, considering all that happened, 95lb is a very good weight nonetheless. I would look at it from the angle that after all that happened, you didn't just throw in the towel and let it get to you. You battled on and nearly had 100lb and could maybe have won the section if that bit of luck hadn't deserted you. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
cheers method, I didn't really let the day get to me if I'm honest, sometimes had worse when just one thing goes against you but sort of got into that "c'est la vie" type of attitude and got on with it. I did also think 95lb was a goods days fishing and in a persverse sort of way I actually enjoyed the day. At least I gave some of my fellow anglers to banter about !

Bill G

Grandad
console yourself with the thought that when i last fell in ,or should that read head long dive ,it was a bloody freezing febuary day .
im sure i grew an extra set of ears .[:I]

pole addict

95 lb on a day like that, can't be all bad.

Great post tho, made me chuckle.

Glad you're ok. [:T]

Steve57

Site Supporter
Please can you have some more bad days as that made me smile [:p].

"My 6lb maxima mainline has decided to break above the float ! I cant recall ever being broke on the mainline when playing a fish, have broken hook lengths, have snapped mainline on the strike but never in the middle of playing a fish and with the drag set as well."

That bit caught my eye as I had Maxima 8lb break on me twice yesterday on the method feeder. http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/160159

Time to look for an alternative I think [:C]

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Bill G

console yourself with the thought that when i last fell in ,or should that read head long dive ,it was a bloody freezing febuary day .

Lol Bill, yes it was at least warm, a "good drying day"
How are you fella ?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Steve56

Please can you have some more bad days as that made me smile [:p].

"My 6lb maxima mainline has decided to break above the float ! I cant recall ever being broke on the mainline when playing a fish, have broken hook lengths, have snapped mainline on the strike but never in the middle of playing a fish and with the drag set as well."

That bit caught my eye as I had Maxima 8lb break on me twice yesterday on the method feeder. http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/160159

Time to look for an alternative I think [:C]

I am actually going to try and avoid another day like this ![:p]

But maybe some thinking to do about maxima bearing in mind your problems as well [:T]

H T B

Site Supporter
If you'd ignored the call from grandparents, gone to the match and won, then found out it had been more than just spilt lucozade, how bad would you have felt?

Cracking effort on the match, however, times like these make us reflect, there is more to life than fishing ;)

Bill G

Grandad
Originally posted by Anglingman

Lol Bill, yes it was at least warm, a "good drying day"
How are you fella ?

its been a while Roy.
i think the last time we fished was a day out at sams lake.
i havent fished now for a couple of years as im chasing a white ball about at the moment. but im starting to miss it big time.
im thinking a coupler of barbel sessions might be in order.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
lol Bill at your age ![:p]

Yes it was mate, I really enjoy the MD'ers days out we should do some more.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter

cheeky fekker, [:)]
h/cap down to 13 now and looking to go lower.

we'll have to arrange a game mate. Not played this year but was playing around 14 last year.

Steve57

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Anglingman

cheeky fekker, [:)]
h/cap down to 13 now and looking to go lower.

we'll have to arrange a game mate. Not played this year but was playing around 14 last year.

What was wrong with other 17 holes? [:W]

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Anglingman, brilliant, it had me laughing out loud-Also it's reassuring to know that it's not just me that lives in that world.

Cheers mate

[:D][:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.