A day piking

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
Well my intention was to fish my local river the Idle today carrying on where I left off three day's ago with lures in the morning and deadbait in the pm.
Upon arrival it was soon apparent that the watercolour had changed dramatically in the last three day's and the pace of this naturally pacey river was going to make even deadbaitimg a nightmare.
So off to the canal a mile up the road at Clayworth.
Even the canal which is normally gin clear was murky
So deadbaits it was resulting in a 3lb, 12.3lb and my PB at the start second season piking of 17.5lb these weights are in the net so a tad off as I've tried weighing my net but it doesnt even register on my scales.
All in all a good day taking this years tally to 11 fish. I stood either side of it to try and show how wide it is across the back, I have ordered a cradle for my phone that mounts onto a bank stick to try improve my photo's.
20191017_144120.jpg 20191017_144135.jpg

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great start, and a proper chunk of a pike! If you are taking pictures on your phone, I use an app called Whistle Cam and that works really well, and I just prop my phone up on my bag or whatever, but with a mount, it means that you have your hands totally free.

I blanked twice this past weekend :( but did manage 3 in a few hours the previous weekend. Took this with whistle cam!
03a 14.3 Edited.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice fish there. Going to have a go for pike this autumn/winter myself. I fluke at least one a session of them when fishing for silvers on the Thames in the warmer months but I have never properly targeted them. My cousin had 3 around the 10lb mark on lures out the Thames last week so will have to have a go soon.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
River idle, isn't that near Hallcroft/Retford? Think that ginger fisherman fella on youtube does a lot of pike videos around there, might have to get meself up there one day (y)

I'd love to be catching fish like that, only had one session so far tis season but likewise i was suffering murky/coloured water, ended up blanking. Didn't help i only took with me natural coloured lures so had nothing better to put on the end :(

I thought not quite cold enough for deadbaiting, didn't want to be un-hooking a deep and greedily swallowed deadbait. Is it just a case of striking a bit quicker when it's a bit mild?

I've ordered some bright Rapala lures so might try again this weekend.

I ordered the HT and CLG variants in 9cm 25g, a bit pricey but they look nice and noisy and attractive, hopefully should do great in coloured water.

Captain Pugwash

As I say this is the start of my second season on the piking, the picture on my avatar was last seasons best fish at 14.5lb, deep hooking was also my biggest fear when I started but I would sooner strike early and miss a fish than just sit there waiting for it to swallow the lot, my confidence is growing with every session with reading takes, when to strike, handling and unhooking.
Re lures, my last session on the river was manic the lure of the day was a cheap bag of squid meps from Boyes with a 10gr jighead they were smashing them best fish just under 12lb.
Yeah the Ginger fisherman does fish the Idle.

Captain Pugwash

Great start, and a proper chunk of a pike! If you are taking pictures on your phone, I use an app called Whistle Cam and that works really well, and I just prop my phone up on my bag or whatever, but with a mount, it means that you have your hands totally free.

I blanked twice this past weekend :( but did manage 3 in a few hours the previous weekend. Took this with whistle cam!
03a 14.3 Edited.jpg
Thanks for the tip I will have a peek at that..

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
This one - it's on Apple and happens to be the one I use, but I'm sure there are others which do similar. It's as simple as whistle, and then it has a 3 second countdown, photo. I like the fact that it means you can have the fish in your hands and no remote or anything, and then take it. Likewise, it's not like with a straightforward timer, that you have to set it, and then have x number of seconds to move, pick fish up, look gorgeous...

IMG_4624.PNG

Leafy

Leafy
River idle, isn't that near Hallcroft/Retford? Think that ginger fisherman fella on youtube does a lot of pike videos around there, might have to get meself up there one day (y)

I'd love to be catching fish like that, only had one session so far tis season but likewise i was suffering murky/coloured water, ended up blanking. Didn't help i only took with me natural coloured lures so had nothing better to put on the end :(

I thought not quite cold enough for deadbaiting, didn't want to be un-hooking a deep and greedily swallowed deadbait. Is it just a case of striking a bit quicker when it's a bit mild?

I've ordered some bright Rapala lures so might try again this weekend.

I ordered the HT and CLG variants in 9cm 25g, a bit pricey but they look nice and noisy and attractive, hopefully should do great in coloured water.

The rapala jointed are brilliant lures.. iv used sinking and suspended... caught big perch on them too... surprising the size of a lure a perch will hit.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
caught big perch on them too... surprising the size of a lure a perch will hit.

You're not wrong there, i've had Perch take my spinner baits.... i still can't understand how something that was only a few ounces and only just bigger than a decent gudgeon could get the hook in its mouth!!

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I had a perch take a 5 inch roach deadbait, wasn't a massive perch either only a pound n half I reckon, on the local canal last winter.

Surprising what size baits they'll take.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve had many a perch take a live bait no less than a 1/4 of their own size, tbh I’ve not found live baits much more selective size wise for perch than maggots.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Well my intention was to fish my local river the Idle today carrying on where I left off three day's ago with lures in the morning and deadbait in the pm.
Upon arrival it was soon apparent that the watercolour had changed dramatically in the last three day's and the pace of this naturally pacey river was going to make even deadbaitimg a nightmare.
So off to the canal a mile up the road at Clayworth.
Even the canal which is normally gin clear was murky
So deadbaits it was resulting in a 3lb, 12.3lb and my PB at the start second season piking of 17.5lb these weights are in the net so a tad off as I've tried weighing my net but it doesnt even register on my scales.
All in all a good day taking this years tally to 11 fish. I stood either side of it to try and show how wide it is across the back, I have ordered a cradle for my phone that mounts onto a bank stick to try improve my photo's.
20191017_144120.jpg 20191017_144135.jpg

That's a big, mean looking beastie, well done!

Just thinking - if a net like that did not even register on my scales, I'd be asking a question or two?

Captain Pugwash

To be honest with you banksy I need to have a closer look at it, so I've just been and weighed it 0.5lb, so I've just reduced my PB to 17lb hey ho!

Leafy

Leafy
You're not wrong there, i've had Perch take my spinner baits.... i still can't understand how something that was only a few ounces and only just bigger than a decent gudgeon could get the hook in its mouth!!

Its madness haha.. Iv had perch hit lures bigger than themselves ?

Neskin

Cracking fish mate,

I've just started piking again the past couple of weeks as Ive never really done it before (only lure fishing)

Really enjoying it as there is a big club water two minutes round the corner which has given me a few fish. Nothing huge yet, moving to a different water on Saturday to try for something a bit bigger!

Managed to get a great deal on a couple of Wychwood Deadbait rods too so im all set now for a winters croc hunting!