A Day of Three Halves

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
With the weather set fair for today I planned my first foray onto the river. Chose Wellingborough's stretch at Barnwell as I wasn't sure how the recent rains would have affected the levels and flow. The stretch at Barnwell rarely floods as much of the flow is diverted down backbrooks. Arrived to find the river in fine form. Got fishing just after 9. By 11:30 I had put 27 fish in the net, small roach, dace, perch, gudgeon and bleak. I may have got a better stamp had I been using hemp & caster but I just had maggot available. In those 2 1/2 hours I also lost six fish and hooks to pike. Enough was enough, I would run out of hooks at this rate, so I packed up and headed towards home with the plan of fishing the club's snake lake for the afternoon. The lake is close to the road home.

Arrived at the lake and set up the feeder rod to fish a pellet feeder, hard pellet on the hook, while I set up the pole. Had a carp around four pound. Set the pole up and fed some micros. Thought then I should call The Boss to let her know I will be later than planned due to the change of venue. She told me that she thought her bank account had been hacked as a payment had been rejected four times and she knows there is plenty of money to cover the £23 due. I could tell she was worried, asked if she wanted me home to help sort it and she said yes. So without even getting the chance of baiting the pole rig I packed up and sped home.

After phone calls with bank and the company taking the payment it turned out that The Boss (who is never wrong) had forgotten to update her account with new card details. It seems that for 11 months the payments had been taken using the out of date card details.

Add to that the fact that the zip broke irreparably on my double ready rod bag that I keep my feeder rods in meaning I now have to spend money(!) its a bit of a bust of a day.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can sympathise with the pike they’ve tormented me a hell of a lot this season! I just fish through them though as they eventually either have their fill or you hook a couple which tends to put them off a bit.

Sounded like a good session up until that point though ??Been properly surprised to hear a few reports of the nene in good nick this week as the rivers are very messy here.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Evening Neil,

Nice to read that you got on the river, as I know you mentioned previously you wanted to. Surprised you didn't try punched bread or the maggots over groundbait for skimmers ? Still with 27 fish in the net in 2 1/2 hours it sounds like you didn't need to.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Used groundbait but hemp based so trying to target the roach. Very much an experimental day as regards groundbait.