A day at the seaside

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well today I had a day out with the missus and Winston, with a difference - we went to Filey :)

Packed up the truck, parked up in the big south car park, stroll down to the beach, even the sun came out at one point.
The north and south beaches are dog friendly throughout the year, the south beach is massive and goes right past Hunmanby and I presume to Flamborough if the tide was out, which it was this afternoon with low tide at 14:00hrs

Most of the time Winston was off the lead running around with his tennis ball like a dog possessed, loving every minute of it and not really showing any interest in other dogs unless they did him.
We walked right down to the WW2 pill boxes before stopping for a sit, then walked back to the cafe on the prom to be fed a box of fresh chips coated with salt and vinegar :love:

A walk back up to the car park for a change of footwear, trainers not crocs lol, and then back down to the prom to walk along it to the north side and Doughnuts - 6 for £3.35 I think it was, awesomeness in a paper bag :D
I wasn't allowed an icecream as well although reluctantly the missus gave in to my childish whimpering and told me to get one if I really needed one ;)

From there, a walk up into the town and back to the car park where I put the kettle on (my Makita coffee maker) and made a coffee and cup of tea to wash it all down with. :coffee::coffee:

What was most significant is we walked just short of 18,000 steps according to T's step counter thingy, on the flat and up and down hills, something that three months ago I could have only dreamed off. I reckon Winston must have done quadruple that though :)

A bit of a rest, stop off at the loo, and a drive back home picking up fish & chips on the way.
A belting day out with a difference, tired now, missus tired, Winston comatose on the landing, but what a day out, a day at the seaside (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We never saw a drop of rain until we hit the A64 home - plenty of water on the section near York.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
We never saw a drop of rain until we hit the A64 home - plenty of water on the section near York.
Shudda seen it at Woodland lakes Thirsk today, never seen rain like it. Hail, rain, thunder and sunshine.

willothewisp

willothewisp
From having lived 30+ years equidistant from both coasts, Scarborough to East, and Blackpool to west, I now live 10 minutes walk from beach and promenade, where the "Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea," with choice of two forest parks one mile away in opposite directions.
Oh aye. And 15 minutes by car away to the well stocked trout lough about half mile across with 24/7 boathouse and members' unlimited boat access @ £130 pa. Mind you about 5 year waiting list.
Can't be bad!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Well today I had a day out with the missus and Winston, with a difference - we went to Filey :)

Packed up the truck, parked up in the big south car park, stroll down to the beach, even the sun came out at one point.
The north and south beaches are dog friendly throughout the year, the south beach is massive and goes right past Hunmanby and I presume to Flamborough if the tide was out, which it was this afternoon with low tide at 14:00hrs

Most of the time Winston was off the lead running around with his tennis ball like a dog possessed, loving every minute of it and not really showing any interest in other dogs unless they did him.
We walked right down to the WW2 pill boxes before stopping for a sit, then walked back to the cafe on the prom to be fed a box of fresh chips coated with salt and vinegar :love:

A walk back up to the car park for a change of footwear, trainers not crocs lol, and then back down to the prom to walk along it to the north side and Doughnuts - 6 for £3.35 I think it was, awesomeness in a paper bag :D
I wasn't allowed an icecream as well although reluctantly the missus gave in to my childish whimpering and told me to get one if I really needed one ;)

From there, a walk up into the town and back to the car park where I put the kettle on (my Makita coffee maker) and made a coffee and cup of tea to wash it all down with. :coffee::coffee:

What was most significant is we walked just short of 18,000 steps according to T's step counter thingy, on the flat and up and down hills, something that three months ago I could have only dreamed off. I reckon Winston must have done quadruple that though :)

A bit of a rest, stop off at the loo, and a drive back home picking up fish & chips on the way.
A belting day out with a difference, tired now, missus tired, Winston comatose on the landing, but what a day out, a day at the seaside (y)
Sounds a brilliant day ,you cant beat the sound the smell and tranquility of a walk by or on the beach . Its good for the mind and soul 😁

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Could you see the bass nets ? I like to go and have a nosey and see what’s in them before the guy on the push bike comes and collects whatever they have caught. Seen a few nice bass in them but, mostly dabs and whiting.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Seasides always give me a feeling of nostalgia as it reminds me of holidays as a kid, but for my brother, living in the Isle of Wight they're a big part of his life. I'll ask him on the phone what he's been up to and he'll almost always say, gone to the beach.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
My mum and dad had a static caravan at Primrose Valley. We spent many a day there huddled behind our windbreak in our home knitted arran jumpers in the early 70's. Happy memories though.

My kids also used to love going to Filey, despite being brought up in warmer climes. How i miss the fish and chips from that small place on the Cobble Landing 😋

nejohn

Site Supporter
I really do like the North East coast all the way from the Flamborough Head up to Bamborough, It has a bit of everything, Busy seaside resorts, small fishing harbours, long sandy beaches, rugged rocky cliffs, coastal castles, lots of wildlife ......if only the North sea was a bit warmer....!!!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive never lived further than 6 odd miles from the sea in my entire life, often far closer

cant ever imagine moving further inland