A Cracking Thames Roach Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So now we’re well into July and the Thames has hit form I decided to take today off work so I could have session on the sandford old channel given it’s a hard stretch to get on at weekends. Managed to get into my favourite swim which from 6 sessions last July produced 3 comfortably double figure hemp roach bags so the plan was to do the same today. The weather was beautiful being warm, a mix of sun and cloud with a light upstream southerly plus the river looked in great nick and it turned out a cracking days fishing as I had my best session on the stretch to date.

I set up a waggler rod and and stick rod and started fishing at about 8.30 and up until about 12.30 the fishing was superb with a near constant stream of roach with a few other fish thrown in. From about 12.30 til 2.30 the catch rate halved probably because it was a bit bright by then but was still steady sport. Then at 2.30 til packing up at 3.30 I added a few more fish on the feeder as 6 hours on my feet trotting in the heat was taking its toll. All in I’d say I had at least 60 roach, pushing 15 silver bream, 5 chublets, 3 dace and about 10 bleak so busy indeed! The non roach species were small so probably only amounted to about 3lb but the roach were split pretty evenly into 3 stamps of about 2oz, 4oz and 8oz so probably brought about 15lb. So around an 18lb bag all in all so a very good result in my book.

I used 3 set ups today with the most successful being the 14ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with a 2500 shimano sahara RD loaded with 3lb maxima to initially a 8x4 drennan stick which I soon changed to a 4x4 drennan stick to a size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon set up just off bottom in a little over 6ft of water. Next most successful was the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod also paired a 2500 shimano sahara RD again loaded with 3lb maxima to 1.5g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler again to a size 18lb to 2lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon set up about a foot off bottom again in a little over 6ft of water. Final set up was the 11ft drennan acolyte ultra feeder rod paired with a 4000 drennan 7 series feeder reel loaded with 6lb maxima to a 40g maggot feeder to size 16 to 3lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon. On the float the most successful bait was black fjukas followed by almost as many on hemp with a few on single caster and single red maggot over frenzied hemp groundbait and loose feed of hemp. Feeder hook bait was triple red maggot with the same groundbait and maggots in the feeder.

My grandad was with me again but had knackered himself in that garden yesterday so just sat on the feeder for I’d guess maybe 40-50 mixed fish for probably about 8lb. Obviously float would have produced more but so should have feeder really but he didn’t fish very hard as was worn out before he started. I did say to him a days gardening before at days fishing at nearly 75 wasn’t very wise! My uncle also showed up at about 2 planning to fish into the evening for bream on the feeder and he had a handful of roach, about the same of bleak and couple of chublet whilst we were there so be interesting to see how he gets on later.

All in all a brilliant days fishing for me, definitely the most enjoyable session of the year so far as not much beats quality river roach on the float for me. Next session will be Sunday probably at medley as should think it should have started fishing well there by now as well.

Lots of pics today with the swim, the view upstream, the view downstream and a selection of roach.
1625852720755.jpeg
1625852733625.jpeg
1625853078222.jpeg
1625853099051.jpeg
1625853112654.jpeg
1625853126090.jpeg
1625853135145.jpeg
1625853160913.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well my uncle stayed til 6 in the end and had a few more roach but the bream didn’t show. Was pushing through by summer standards so suspect the bream were tucked out the way somewhere. He said the barbellers were turning up for their usual weekend camping as he left and I reckon they’ve got a fair chance of a few given how the river is at the moment.

Stanley

Congratulations. I’ve just got back from a 3 Hr session after work just along from Penton Hook on the Thames. Managed 48 fish. Mix of roach and a couple of larger perch. All on the whip 6m to hand fishing maggot. Feeding hemp. Cannot beat a nice evening on the father Thames !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Congratulations. I’ve just got back from a 3 Hr session after work just along from Penton Hook on the Thames. Managed 48 fish. Mix of roach and a couple of larger perch. All on the whip 6m to hand fishing maggot. Feeding hemp. Cannot beat a nice evening on the father Thames !
Thanks mate was a lovely session. Glad to hear you had a good session as well, great river isn't it we're very lucky to live by it! Interesting you fished maggot all session can't really do that here this time of year due to the bleak although I fished down your way once a couple years ago at chertsey and the bleak werent as bad there.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Brilliant session mate and a lovely looking stretch of river there 👍
Thanks mate was indeed a brilliant session so nice to get a good bag of good fish on my first proper session of the season whets the appetite for going forward. And yeah is a lovely bit of river with great fishing. Apart from the drone of the weir (which tbf is better than the traffic it drowns out) it's a very peaceful spot with no walkers and no boats. All we saw today human activity wise was the bailiff and two kayakers. Is part of the reason it's so popular I guess alongside the good fishing.

Silver fan 82

Thanks mate was indeed a brilliant session so nice to get a good bag of good fish on my first proper session of the season whets the appetite for going forward. And yeah is a lovely bit of river with great fishing. Apart from the drone of the weir (which tbf is better than the traffic it drowns out) it's a very peaceful spot with no walkers and no boats. All we saw today human activity wise was the bailiff and two kayakers. Is part of the reason it's so popular I guess alongside the good fishing.
Sounds perfect mate.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds perfect mate.
It's not far off it mate probably my favourite place to fish. Hadn't fished it much until last year as my club used to only have the other bank which is only like a handful swims tops but now we've got both banks there's about a dozen swims. Obviously still not many swims so only fishable in the week if you want an good peg which is why furlough was handy last year then this year I've booked a few days off to fish it seeing as I'm not likely to need the holiday for going abroad with all that's going on still.

Will probably be back to the bedlam of medley on Sunday with the stream of boats, swimmers and walkers 😂

mbuna_matt

Had two evenings on the Thames@ Chertsey this week, fishing three grains of corn over ground bait. Had two good Bream on Wednesday, and despite lots of knocks nothing Thursday. I agree the river is high but in great nick !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Had two evenings on the Thames@ Chertsey this week, fishing three grains of corn over ground bait. Had two good Bream on Wednesday, and despite lots of knocks nothing Thursday. I agree the river is high but in great nick !
Yeah it's certainly in good nick, is about a foot up on usual summer level but I think it's helped as the bit of extra pace has put the bleak off a bit and the bit of extra colour has cancelled out the effect of the bright sun a bit. Last year it was great in the mornings whilst it wasn't bright and hard in the afternoons when it got bright but whilst it was still much better in the morning than the afternoon today the afternoon still saw more fish than usual.

adriang

Site Supporter
Sounds like an excellent morning.. Now motivated to the Thames for Sunday!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like an excellent morning.. Now motivated to the Thames for Sunday!
Thanks mate yes the morning was brilliant and even the afternoon was fairly decent. And yeah helps with the motivation when you hear it’s fishing well doesn’t it I’d been excited for this session since I saw the match on the meadows went well last Sunday as that all but confirmed that they’d be up for it today 👍🏻

Silver fan 82

It's not far off it mate probably my favourite place to fish. Hadn't fished it much until last year as my club used to only have the other bank which is only like a handful swims tops but now we've got both banks there's about a dozen swims. Obviously still not many swims so only fishable in the week if you want an good peg which is why furlough was handy last year then this year I've booked a few days off to fish it seeing as I'm not likely to need the holiday for going abroad with all that's going on still.

Will probably be back to the bedlam of medley on Sunday with the stream of boats, swimmers and walkers 😂
Ah yes the joy of boats etc when river fishing lol!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah yes the joy of boats etc when river fishing lol!
Tbh most places here the actual boats aren’t too bad as it’s wide enough for them to be beyond float range save for the odd clueless one. It’s the rowers and kayakers that are more of a pain as they get in close. It’s part of what makes this place so nice in that you don’t have to deal with any of that save for tops a couple kayaks a day as they can’t get past the weir so they don’t often bother going up there. Only ever seen one proper boat up there and think they were lost 😂

Silver fan 82

Tbh most places here the actual boats aren’t too bad as it’s wide enough for them to be beyond float range save for the odd clueless one. It’s the rowers and kayakers that are more of a pain as they get in close. It’s part of what makes this place so nice in that you don’t have to deal with any of that save for tops a couple kayaks a day as they can’t get past the weir so they don’t often bother going up there. Only ever seen one proper boat up there and think they were lost 😂
Yep the kayakers can be annoying, especially when they aren't even supposed to be on the water!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep the kayakers can be annoying, especially when they aren't even supposed to be on the water!
Yeah not ideal. The more professional ones aren’t too bad it’s the ones that have clearly come from the odds and sods middle isle at Lidl or Aldi possibly even that morning that cause a bit of grief 😅

Silver fan 82

Yeah not ideal. The more professional ones aren’t too bad it’s the ones that have clearly come from the odds and sods middle isle at Lidl or Aldi possibly even that morning that cause a bit of grief 😅
I'm not actually convinced that it makes a difference to the fishing or not? It's just a pain having to reel in, or they sit there over your baited swim.

tincatim

Site Supporter
What a stunning stretch of river that is, really beautiful surroundings. A great days fishing too, well done. You really can’t beat trotting a float through in a swim like that, a bite every run and some lovely roach.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What a stunning stretch of river that is, really beautiful surroundings. A great days fishing too, well done. You really can’t beat trotting a float through in a swim like that, a bite every run and some lovely roach.
Yes is a beautiful bit of river indeed and thanks was indeed a great day. And yes trotting a float for plenty of quality fish is near fishing perfection in my eyes 👍🏻