A couple of sessions on the Trent embankment

Pickard1

Even though I only live about 20 miles away, in Leicester, I had never fished here before last week. Me and a mate who lives the other side of notts decided to meet up as it's kind of in the middle.

It was a Friday off work and the parking behind the pegs was easy (although due to covid a lot of the embankment parking was fenced off, there was still plenty available). The fishing is free and it's £2 all day parking.

We ended up about 100yds upstream from the bridge.

We both tried a feeder, but didn't get much on that. I had one small skimmer. The inside line on the stick was the best method and we caught quite steady all day. Feeding hemp, maggot and castor. I left out the maggots and got bigger fish, my mate fed maggot and got more fish, but smaller.
These were my mates.

I forgot to get a picture of my fish. I'd guess we had maybe 5lb each.

Fast forward a week and my missus was meeting a friend from Nottingham for a drink, so I kindly offered to drive. I arrived about 11am and fished til about 3pm. Not the best time of day and it was 25 degrees and sunny. Also the river had dropped 4" and a lot of colour had gone.

Before seeing the river I had a thought to try some groundbait to see if there were any skimmers. Due to the short session I just took my stick float rod, which I'd fitted the dolly section to take it up to 16ft (was set up for my local river at 12ft last week).

I put in about 3/4 bag of dark groundbait with castors about 8 or 9m out.

Bites came within a couple of mins and I caught well for an hour. I kept trickling hemp over the top and this kept the roach and odd perch coming.

After an hour or so I had a couple of eastern European lads come and ask me if I was catching, which I don't mind, but they did it very loudly stood on the bottom step right where I was catching. Apparently they had fished for 6 hours yesterday for no bites. When I asked what hook they were using they said size 6. 😂😂

Anyway, I'm not sure if it was the visitors or just my groundbait wearing off, but things got harder after that.

The second half of the session I had to go a couple of meters further out and feed by catapult (out of hand range). Also most early fish were on castor, but I had to switch to maggot, which attracted dace and odd bleak to keep the bites coming.

I'd say I caught similar to last time, but in less time, so I suppose that's an improvement. Stick float fishing a big River like this isn't my area of expertise, but it is interesting. The longer rod helped this time and I think the groundbait gave a good flurry of early roach.

Maybe next time I might try some harder groundbait to try and leave a longer lasting bed of bait....

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
(y) Brilliant write-up and photos. Just shows what you can do on inner-city stretches

Total

Site Supporter
Nice bags of fish...Always nice when a plan comes together...Well angled.(y)

IanG1

Site Supporter
Nice write up pal and a old favourite venue of mine. Only fished it once this season and caught dace on the waggler as it was blowing a Hooley. The most prolific section I've found is opposite the school and we had some nice roach days on the seed this time last year. @ravey is a regular down there but last time we spoke the sport has not been as good this year.
You get some characters knocking about so keep your eyes on your gear. I've never had a problem but know others who have

Pickard1

Nice write up pal and a old favourite venue of mine. Only fished it once this season and caught dace on the waggler as it was blowing a Hooley. The most prolific section I've found is opposite the school and we had some nice roach days on the seed this time last year. @ravey is a regular down there but last time we spoke the sport has not been as good this year.
You get some characters knocking about so keep your eyes on your gear. I've never had a problem but know others who have
I met Ravey once when I fished next to him on a maggotdrowners match at East Stoke. I had about 5 minnows and he had 50odd lbs of barbel and chub, on the next peg. I'm not surprised to hear he is also a venue expert on there as well!

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Back in the day 90's all you needed was a lot of maggots and trotting a stick / wag down up to a rod length out. Had some really good chub doing that....roach / skimmers etc too
The canal that flows into the Trent ( off meadow lane) is also a good spot for pole / feeder. Sits behind some newer flats that create a sun trap if the sun is up Great Report.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Nice write up mate, thats a nice net of silvers too.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Brilliant buddy, Its a place I've promised to fish loads of times, but as with all things!! Nice to see a healthy river, and maybe less cormorant activity due to being so close to the town?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
what sort of depth do you have through there ?

Nice photos...some with some nice fish in as well ;)

Pickard1

what sort of depth do you have through there ?

Nice photos...some with some nice fish in as well ;)
Not that deep really, maybe about 5ft where I have fished. I was near the bridge where it's a bit wider. There is a big bend, I do wonder if there might be some deeper bits on the outside of the bend.

Pickard1

Glen Parva, Whetstone, Kilby Bridge, Crow Mills. Depends which one takes my fancy.
Same stretches I fish. I keep meaning to try the straights, I might have a go in the next couple of weeks.

Arch

Site Supporter
Cut my angling teeth on the Embankment, that and Clifton Bridge. Some of the best river Bream fishing could be had opposite the flats in front of the "Blue barge" 3/4 of the way across. Used to win or frame in all the big matches that use to be held along there. Nice easy waggler fishing as well. I was there one day and was being shot at with an air rifle from the flats on the other side. The pellets had lost their velocity by the time they'd reached me. :eek:

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Nice fishing Pickard. I see you get the odd boatload of young ladies for a welcome distraction on the sunny days. What's not to like.... (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It’s a long long time since I’ve been there. Nice to know it’s still free fishing though. Especially for the kids. We used to pole it a lot around about 9m. Not many used crumb in those days as that only brought the bleak in but, that was in the 90’s obviously things have changed a lot since those rose tinted days.

Nice net of fish there though buddy. Well done. 👍

Pickard1

Cut my angling teeth on the Embankment, that and Clifton Bridge. Some of the best river Bream fishing could be had opposite the flats in front of the "Blue barge" 3/4 of the way across. Used to win or frame in all the big matches that use to be held along there. Nice easy waggler fishing as well. I was there one day and was being shot at with an air rifle from the flats on the other side. The pellets had lost their velocity by the time they'd reached me. :eek:
I tried a waggler on my first visit, but I was struggling to see it. It's quite open and there was loads of ripple and I couldn't see bites. I was just using a waggler I'd use on the soar, maybe 4bb. I'm guessing I was under gunned!

What sort of size waggler would you have used back when you fished it? Did you have to have it with quite a bit of tip showing? Black tip, white tip etc? Sorry for all the questions 😂

Arch

Site Supporter
3-4 AAA. I fished just up from the walk bridge, opposite the flats. Although it was a good fishery all along the embankment. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to float tip colour. I cannot for the life of me remember what tip colour I was using on that day. But every float I've ever owned has had a red tip. LOL.

Just ran it through four rods out, No 8s spread out down the line, plenty of Bronzes. Lots of bites. A pleasant days fishing. Wonder if the Bream are still there ??

Edit; the natural flow of the river there just sends the float on it's way as it's coming off a bend.

Last edited: