A couple of questions...

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I'm after a bit of advice, guidance and help from the MD massiv.....

Scenario: Commercial lake, quite windy, a decent ripple on the top. Depth 5ft. I'm fishing the pole with a 4x12 Preston Maggot float.

1) Float is being buffeted around a fair bit. Does this indicate that the float is too light for the conditions? What size/weight/design would you suggest for these conditions.

2) Float is shotted to have 1cm bristle showing at dead depth. Before the wind got up it sits perfectly, when the wind gets up it dots down to a pimple, and frequently goes beneath the surface (not a missed bite!!). Is this likely caused by an undertow in the water, is it linked to point 1, and how would you rectify it?

As always, thanks in advance

Stewie

CarpCatcher86

Another tip in windy conditions is to increase the length of line between pole tip and float. That way if your pole gets blown about in the wind, you have a bit more of a buffer with the extra line, and your float won't be dragged out of place.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
First off have a read of my blog on the subject of dotting floats down.

Then have a look at the DT Windbeater

Also read my blog on backshotting.

And finally my blog on Winter Commercials

Paul.P

You definitely need a bigger float as it sounds like the tow ( due to the wind ) is pulling your float under, how big a float depends on how much tow, so its just a case of going up on float size until you can control it properly. Other things you can do to control your rig when the wind picks up, is lengthen the line between pole tip & float ( normally to approx 2-3ft, & place a back shot half way along, & this backshot can be anything from a no8 to a swan shot depending how strong the wind is & then you need to hold the pole with the shot just in the water ( lot easier with a bump bar ) then when the wind moves your pole end it won't move your float, & also don't be frightened to go a few inches overdepth, normally when it starts to get rough the fish actually tend to feed more positively. Where i would normally use a 4x14 float at decoy, i've sometimes gone to a 1.5gm float.