A Chippy Tea

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
couldnt be arsed to cook a dinner, so the wench went round the local and got us a chippy tea

nice bit of huss, two pickled onions and a medium chips for me,

saveloy and small chips for herself

now, the wench is great mates with the serving girl behind the counter, and is treated special thus

fresh just out the fryer basket chips, other stuff cooked to order

the problem is, that what is ordered chip wise, the medium/small portion, is not quite what you get being as thier mates

Ive got a positive mountain of chips to pile through, unsure wether Im going to make it theres that many,

I hate leaving cooked food to waste

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Our Chippy owner is a Angler and a mate, we have used the same shop for 18 years and to say we get a good Deal is an understatement. But like you with wastage we now order only 2 bags of Chips for 4 of us as well as the Fish, and theres always a Sausage in for Albert foc ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trust me, the price of fish and chips at my local, there is no waste :)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Trust me, the price of fish and chips at my local, there is no waste :)

Dave do ya remember The Black Guy that used to come round the Pubs Doing sea food and Cold battered Fish ? god i could just eat one of them Cold fishes with loads of Salt & Vinegar, guess they tasted good because of the amount of beer we had supped (y)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
What chips you do not eat just freeze them and when you need a quick meal just bung `em in the oven, couple of fried eggs and yer
sorted.

I like to freeze a few surplus chips as well, and often buy a tub of curry sauce extra to bung in the freezer with them.
Heated through when I come from fishing cold wet and hungry, it's like ambrosia.
Food of the gods, not bloody rice pudding, that is.
:D

The Landlord

Site Supporter
saveloy and small chips for herself

Saveloy! Now that takes me back.
Back in the 90's when I was a financial adviser, I was down at our regional office in Birmingham for the day, we fancied a chippy dinner. I asked the girl behind the counter for Savoury & chips (up our way, that's a big fish & potato cake).
Gets back to the office & open me dinner and I'm confronted by this bloody pink sausage. I said to the local brummie lads "Wtf is this???" They told me it was a Saveloy which I'd never heard of. Obviously the girl didn't understand my scouse accent when I asked for a Savoury :mad:

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Dave do ya remember The Black Guy that used to come round the Pubs Doing sea food and Cold battered Fish ? god i could just eat one of them Cold fishes with loads of Salt & Vinegar, guess they tasted good because of the amount of beer we had supped (y)
Cold fish butty with salt and vinegar. Wonderful

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Cold fish butty with salt and vinegar. Wonderful

The Guy im on about was Pencil thin in a white overall jacket, he used to do all the pubs round our way, must have made a Packet, the cold fish was lovely, he had every shellfish dressed crab even full Crabs if ya wanted, he went to his van and got ya em he was a right Character an all with the Ladies with stories about his Eel ;)

crackatoa

Site Supporter
The Guy im on about was Pencil thin in a white overall jacket, he used to do all the pubs round our way, must have made a Packet, the cold fish was lovely, he had every shellfish dressed crab even full Crabs if ya wanted, he went to his van and got ya em he was a right Character an all with the Ladies with stories about his Eel ;)
Guy that lived next to my Nan worked on the docks in Fleetwood. Every Friday he would give her a big bag of fish. We would all go round to hers for Tea. Chips from the chippy and she would just shallow fry all the fish. Much more than we could eat in one go. But going back an hour or two later when it was cold and slapping a fillet between two slices of bread was heavenly

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I often wonder what happened to those people. Guaranteed Friday and Saturday nights a chap used to walk into the local with a wicker basket selling mussels, whelks etc. and nothing for a few years now. I used to enjoy them with a bit of salt and vinegar.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I remember working in Grimsby me and the joiner decided to buy a stone of Fish from the docks, in the back of the Van it went and into a traffic jam on the M62, well for weeks after that it Hummed no one wanted to use the Fiesta van.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I can remember wrapping 4 kippers round the exhaust manifold under the bonnet of my mates car. The stench got in the air vents, not exactly the smell of Chanel let me put it that way.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Nice little basket with winkles, cockles, muscles, cold fish and all at the right price as well, mobile chippy that used to sit outside the pub waiting for you to come out so you could have fresh hot food not stuff that had been sat in the hot cabinet for an hour..

Sadly 2 more things that no longer exist round this way :(

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Nor round here mate. I often wondered if the outdoor 'chippy' put a little extra salt in the batter though, which made you thirsty so made you drink more. Pub?..Outside Chippy?, it's a win win for both.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Nice little basket with winkles, cockles, muscles, cold fish and all at the right price as well, mobile chippy that used to sit outside the pub waiting for you to come out so you could have fresh hot food not stuff that had been sat in the hot cabinet for an hour..

Sadly 2 more things that no longer exist round this way :(

Insurances and health and safety no doubt mate ☹️

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You can add to that not enough trade to make it worthwhile,food sellers licensing,pubs are now more food biased and the good old - w*******s in the pub who just gave them grief.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Probably the anti everythings didn't like the smell.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
You can add to that not enough trade to make it worthwhile,food sellers licensing,pubs are now more food biased and the good old - w*******s in the pub who just gave them grief.
Ya know I come from an estate that has been likened to Beirut and a zoo, let me tell ya in the 20 or so pubs this Black guy went into he was treated with respect ?never once abused and the reason why is he interacted with us all and wasn’t offended by the slightest thing ?