A cheeky little half day session - Neville Park, Snodland

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Work has been particularly pooey for the last month and fishing opportunities have been minimal. Last week saw a few heated “chats” with management and the result was me booking half a day today to depressurise before it got to the point of an active shooter scenario :army:

Worked 05:00 to 10:00 and headed to the lake via the nearby tackle shop for essentials. The water level is dropping slowly and the far bank which is my preferred place has limited accessibility now however an angler was dug in with 3 rods out so it was my usual near bank swim. By the time I’d wetted pellets, set up 2 rods plus the seat box and had a snack & drink it was around 11:15. Typically the angler on the swim I wanted began packing up :rolleyes:

Out went the method feeder smack in the middle of the little bay opposite me then on went the 10 min timer. The departing angler stopped for a chat - a lovely Romanian guy who had been there from 6am after finishing a night shift without a bite fishing a variety of boilies. As we talked the tip of my Ron Thompson feeder rod began to twitch - looked like liners and I gave the feeder two sessions on the timer but without a take. Next cast was a winner with a 4lb 8oz common in the net right on the buzzer of the timer.

24431551-6DCD-4671-B8A8-B8104E51ADE4.jpeg

I managed 3 fish in 90 minutes all about the same stamp but my 2mm Sonubaits Stiki Method pellets hadn’t taken the water as they usually do and filling the feeder was proving to be a fiddle. In desperation I turned to a bottle in my bait bag - Sonubaits “bait booster” in “power Scopex”. I’d seen a video by Lee Kerry extolling it’s virtues and been suckered into buying it but being like a syrup in consistency he’d said it can act as a pellet or groundbait binder so with nothing to lose I popped some of the pellets into a separate bowl and glugged them. They now went onto the feeder like a dream.

Out went the feeder, on went the timer and 3 minutes later whoosh went the rod tip - it set a pattern for the next 2hrs which were frantic with 11 more fish banked the smallest of which was 4lb on the nose and the largest 10lb 2oz being almost as broad as it was deep, a proper barrel.

00A468B7-573D-4632-95C1-7C80CCA9A78D.jpeg

Although I’d slowly been feeding up a line with 4mm pellets to go onto with the pellet waggler I didn’t get the chance - 3 lads appeared opposite and proceeded to unpack about 8 rods between them that were then cast the width and length of the lake, one to within 10yds of my feet :mad: a lack of courtesy and etiquette I felt.

Additionally a coupe of guys pitched up in the swim next to me with carrier bags of cans and a fog of aromatic tobacco smoke ascended straight after.

The universe had signalled the all out so I packed up and headed home blissfully happy and chilled plus starving.

ev4dawin

Is this lake lowly stocked with mirrors?? Going back through your past threads about this lake, I haven’t seen any mirrors. Are there any stocked in there? Great angling though well done.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Is this lake lowly stocked with mirrors?? Going back through your past threads about this lake, I haven’t seen any mirrors. Are there any stocked in there? Great angling though well done.

I posted a thread about this the other day - last summer fishing a whip with my son we took out loads of little mirrors from next to the reeds but I’ve yet to catch a big one in any of my sessions. It’s a bit of a mystery but I guess there are enough mirrors to breed though not enough that they get caught too often.

DB3079D0-1E5B-42F6-BC6C-01A351C3F659.jpeg 444AAC9B-4BCA-493D-8088-A99A426E27DE.jpeg 0A947DB7-39EB-4755-A411-76DDDFB1171B.jpeg

ev4dawin

I posted a thread about this the other day - last summer fishing a whip with my son we took out loads of little mirrors from next to the reeds but I’ve yet to catch a big one in any of my sessions. It’s a bit of a mystery but I guess there are enough mirrors to breed though not enough that they get caught too often.

DB3079D0-1E5B-42F6-BC6C-01A351C3F659.jpeg 444AAC9B-4BCA-493D-8088-A99A426E27DE.jpeg 0A947DB7-39EB-4755-A411-76DDDFB1171B.jpeg
Those are perfect little fish I love mirrors way more then commons just because of the scale patterns