A change of pace.....

Joe C

Site Supporter
I went roving for chub today on the Bristol Avon, not something I usually do, I blanked but still had a lovely time, saw a kingfisher which was amazing. Only the 4th ever time I’ve fished a river having grown up fishing commies. Don’t get me wrong I still love fishing still waters, especially for some of the lovely silverfish that are quite often not fished for very heavily. Plus the comfort of not having to walk far, toilets and a shop etc.....

It’s nice to add some variety to my fishing though and I’m looking forward to actually catching a couple on a river soon!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don’t get despondent with the blanks if you get a few this time of year. The second half of the season is typically much harder than the first half of the season. From say start of July to end of October rivers aren’t really any more tricky than Stillwaters once you know roughly what you are doing ??

Joe C

Site Supporter
Don’t get despondent with the blanks if you get a few this time of year. The second half of the season is typically much harder than the first half of the season. From say start of July to end of October rivers aren’t really any more tricky than Stillwaters once you know roughly what you are doing ??

I’ve really enjoyed myself today mate Blank or not. I didn’t have the right baits to be fair, only had groundbait and bread flake, no option to change baits didn’t help me.
I’m definitely going to get on them more often!

buygoodtackle

Try Riverside Drive, last peg upstream on the "green" plenty of small fish but there are bigger chub there also.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I went roving for chub today on the Bristol Avon, not something I usually do, I blanked but still had a lovely time, saw a kingfisher which was amazing. Only the 4th ever time I’ve fished a river having grown up fishing commies. Don’t get me wrong I still love fishing still waters, especially for some of the lovely silverfish that are quite often not fished for very heavily. Plus the comfort of not having to walk far, toilets and a shop etc.....

It’s nice to add some variety to my fishing though and I’m looking forward to actually catching a couple on a river soon!
I suspect that you'll see a lot more kingfishers if you frequent rivers more - particularly those winding stretches with plenty of hunting perches.

On our midlands rivers it is rare not to see at least one in a day ... a blue blur whizzing up or downstream! :) :)

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Fished Riverside Drive all the time when i lived in Chippenham, always caught a few there, prawns seemed to work best or stiff cheesy bread paste if the flow was a up.
There's some good chub on the free stretch from the weir downstream for a mile or two, finding a fishable swim is the tricky bit.
1606244391814.png

A few barbel down there a few years ago.

Last edited:

Browner

I fished the Chippenham stretch today. In the golf course. Chub and roach all on bread punch 6mm or 8mm on the stick.
I would suggest fishing punched bread on a hair/quick stop, 10mm or 12mm compressed, with likky bread in the feeder or punched meat using 10mm or 12mm on straight lead. Currently about 3/4 to 1oz to hold bottom.
Try the life bouy on Riverside drive, peg 26 under the trees just before the shallows, any of the pegs above the cadets or two up from the blue bridge (Peg 56).