A Cash Stash ?

satinet

Site Supporter
Tbh I would have thought it was more. As Mick says a lot of people have some money in cash hidden away somewhere.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I suppose only 25 million people would need to have 2 grand in cash stored away to reach 50 billion so probably right.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
When my dad died (Alzheimer's) we were clearing his room out and under the mattress was about 50p in coppers and 3 bus passes does that count? :D
Me and a mate bought a car between us for fishing. Eventually he moved away so I kept the car after he had used it to move some stuff. The last thing he took from his old place was all the loose change he kept laying about, he'd empty his pockets and put the coins anywhere. The carrier bag they were in kept spilling out in the car, so after going on at him as to when he was going to pick it up, he said give it to my kids. They had so much fun counting it out, the silver they bagged, the coppers we took to a coin star machine. There was over £30 in coppers, and all told over £180 in change, he was a bit gutted as he didn't realise how much there was, but he said a deal was a deal and the kids kept it, and that was over 15 years ago.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Thinking of Old Taff's comment on elderly people admitted to care: when working with Social Services we had a protocol that a senior staff member would always accompany any worker tasked with clearing a house when no relatives available after someone admitted to care or died. Everything had to be recorded, for miraculously, if anything valuable discovered, a "relative " invariably appeared! Over the years we got used to the "finds", and "hideaways. " And it wasn't always the apparently well-off where biggest finds money or otherwise occurred.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
When a mates Grandad Died my mate was Clearing out his House and although there was 1000s of Loosing betting slips all saved with elastic bands round em there was also over 20k in Cash stashed in a hat box.

drw

Site Supporter
When my grandmother had to be moved out of her council flat in Deptford London into a care home we found 27k stashed in all sorts of places, she had got a neighbour to draw her pension buy a bit of shopping and give her the change I think it was accumulated over quite a few years fr when my grandfather died

Wise Owl

Account Locked
When my grandmother had to be moved out of her council flat in Deptford London into a care home we found 27k stashed in all sorts of places, she had got a neighbour to draw her pension buy a bit of shopping and give her the change I think it was accumulated over quite a few years fr when my grandfather died

My mam when she died had Cash stashed all over, my Aunty said it was all bingo winnings over a period of about 20 years.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
£1000 stashed per adult seems a bit high, it probably explains a fair bit, but dodgy practices and law breaking are probably the major components.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How do you dispose of £1/2million in cash?

You can't bank it without attracting the attention of money laundering rules - I think the maximum cash transaction is £8,800
You would struggle to spend it, you'd lose interest on it, and the biggest worry is people out there would know you have it.

2ts

Site Supporter
How do you dispose of £1/2million in cash?

You can't bank it without attracting the attention of money laundering rules - I think the maximum cash transaction is £8,800
You would struggle to spend it, you'd lose interest on it, and the biggest worry is people out there would know you have it.
A woman would make short work of it !

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
We’ve a few Eastern European’s at our place. A few have been with us for years but every year about 10 come and with in 2yr go home. Taking every penny they can. It soon adds up when they are taking around £40-60k home

Wise Owl

Account Locked
A lad at the car wash said once that on a good day in summer they can do between 6 - 8k they have maybe 10 lads on 40 - 60 quid in the hand, thats some Cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
When my mum died & I cleared out the house I found £2,400 quid in little packets all over the place... god knows why... there were little blue envelopes with varying amounts in all over the house

baldpaul

Site Supporter
I swapped my motor in August, buyer bought my car for cash, I didn’t bank it, not a massive amount, but I suppose it’s “out of circulation “ and part of the statistics.
I think a lot of the elderly keep money to the side/stashed in the hope of avoiding potential care home charges as their known banked savings would be open to scrutiny and taken into account if they went into a home. If it’s under the floorboards it’s “safe”. Sad really, they’d be better off getting it spent.