A&C canal Goole basin.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well, yet another tough day on our local Aire & Calder canal. I think it’s time I looked for another hobby as this fishing malarkey isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. With what’s been going on with the water levels lowered due to essential repairs I figured it was going to be tough but, not this tough though. I got there at 9am and was fishing at just turned 10. I kicked the swim off by cupping two balls of Sensas lake plus leam at 9m and same at 14m. In the ground bait was a scattering of dead fluoro pinkies and a few casters. I started on the 9m line as in the cooler months the fish tend to back off once you’ve had a couple. I gave this line a good half hour expecting 3 or 4 fish. Not a bite. Tried all the baits I had. Lifting / lowering nothing. Oh well, let’s have a look on the 14m line. Usually you get an instant response on this line up at Goole basin. Yep, you’ve guessed it .... Nothing. Oh eck. What’s plan B ? There is no plan B as this section of our canal does not respond well to feeder tactics. Sooooo ... A case of get comfy and plug away. I came back onto my 9m line, went over depth by 3 - 4” and sat it out with a couple of fluoro’s on the hook. Usually a banker is that on this stretch. It wasn’t until turned 12pm did I get my first indication. A tiny perch. How many of us instantly think .... Well, I’ve not blanked ? I know I do. Anyways ... From 12pm until 3pm I plugged away moving from 9m to 12m constantly searching for the next bite. Picking a fish up and then moving. A very very tough day. Enjoyable as I found a few fish but, our canal should be fishing far better than this at this time of the year. I ended my session with only 10 fish out of 11 bites. 7 perch and 3 roach. Just like my old school reports .... “ could have done better. “ 🙄🤣🤣

5D914FCD-6AD7-4755-B9B9-092D302E8794.jpeg

B1B2BFDF-ABF2-4785-983C-70DD52D3699C.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well you caught a few mate 👍🏻 and did a bit better than me 😂

Was on my local canal this morning on a stretch that's been in good form for a couple weeks and the conditions looked and felt perfect yet I only had 3 roach, 3 bleak and 2 dace from about 12 bites in 4 hours! Can only think it's been a bit overfished this week as I did exactly what has been successful all week in good conditions but just didn't work 🙁

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Enlarged the pictures for you Mick, wouldn't want members straining their eyesight trying to see those specimens. 🤣

Tough day at the office Mick. :(

Total

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick ......Tough day Mick, but you avoided the blank, always the sign of a decent angler.....:)(y)

.....Despite the above, I'll book you in for some more tuition next week......:oops::giggle:

Feeder doesn't work?.....What's all that about?:unsure:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Enlarged the pictures for you Mick, wouldn't want members straining their eyesight trying to see those specimens. 🤣

Tough day at the office Mick. :(
Oh dear Peter. My dog has just eaten the ginger cake I set aside for you. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️ 🤣🤣

Something not right. Yes, the water is still cool but, you can normally get a few bites. Fishing today was like pulling teeth. Roll on summer.

tincatim

Site Supporter
At least you didn’t blank, and got some fresh air in your lungs. 10 fish from 11 bites is good going... I bet that 11th bite was a plump 1lb roach 😂

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Blimey Mick, them Perch are that small that even a Budgie couldn't balance on them. 😂

Have you tried a bomb and Dendra/lobworm? Surely there's some better Perch around that might be tempted.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick ......Tough day Mick, but you avoided the blank, always the sign of a decent angler.....:)(y)

.....Despite the above, I'll book you in for some more tuition next week......:oops::giggle:

Feeder doesn't work?.....What's all that about?:unsure:
Extremely silty bottom. Feeders simply bury themselves. 🤷‍♂️

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Blimey Mick, them Perch are that small that even a Budgie couldn't balance on them. 😂

Have you tried a bomb and Dendra/lobworm? Surely there's some better Perch around that might be tempted.
The basin is a bit of a crèche Peter. I’ve had skimmers up to 1.5lb and chub up to 1.5lb but, it’s extremely rare to see anything bigger come out. Surprisingly there are very few pike up there. You’d think it would be alive with them but, no it’s not. 🤷‍♂️

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
no good fishing closer to that boat ?

stick the rig right under the arse of it ?

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
Well, yet another tough day on our local Aire & Calder canal. I think it’s time I looked for another hobby as this fishing malarkey isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. With what’s been going on with the water levels lowered due to essential repairs I figured it was going to be tough but, not this tough though. I got there at 9am and was fishing at just turned 10. I kicked the swim off by cupping two balls of Sensas lake plus leam at 9m and same at 14m. In the ground bait was a scattering of dead fluoro pinkies and a few casters. I started on the 9m line as in the cooler months the fish tend to back off once you’ve had a couple. I gave this line a good half hour expecting 3 or 4 fish. Not a bite. Tried all the baits I had. Lifting / lowering nothing. Oh well, let’s have a look on the 14m line. Usually you get an instant response on this line up at Goole basin. Yep, you’ve guessed it .... Nothing. Oh eck. What’s plan B ? There is no plan B as this section of our canal does not respond well to feeder tactics. Sooooo ... A case of get comfy and plug away. I came back onto my 9m line, went over depth by 3 - 4” and sat it out with a couple of fluoro’s on the hook. Usually a banker is that on this stretch. It wasn’t until turned 12pm did I get my first indication. A tiny perch. How many of us instantly think .... Well, I’ve not blanked ? I know I do. Anyways ... From 12pm until 3pm I plugged away moving from 9m to 12m constantly searching for the next bite. Picking a fish up and then moving. A very very tough day. Enjoyable as I found a few fish but, our canal should be fishing far better than this at this time of the year. I ended my session with only 10 fish out of 11 bites. 7 perch and 3 roach. Just like my old school reports .... “ could have done better. “ 🙄🤣🤣

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

That’s a nice little catch on a hard day mate 🎣👍, seems to be hard every where at the moment 💁‍♂️And your peg looks better organised mate 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just watched Tommy Pickering's latest vid and he used Fjuka 2in1 Micros. :LOL: (y) Hope things pick up soon for you Mick, I expect it would be equally difficult if not worse for me on my local canal too.