A Brilliant Couple Hours On The Canal

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So a timely second jab appointment at 4 today getting me out of work early gave me the opportunity to do something I never do and have evening session as it allowed me to get down the canal about the time I’d normally just be finishing work. I wasn’t really expecting much as I wasn’t going to have time to really put a season together but it turned out very good indeed.

Started fishing bang on 5 and forced myself to stop at 7.15 as whilst tempted to fish on until the light started going I knew I’d regret that when inevitably a 10 o’clock shower would have woken me up to the point a rubbish nights slows would follow before work tomorrow. But in that time I had plenty of fish in the form of 12 perch, 10 roach, 8 skimmers, a hybrid and a bleak. And surprisingly I also had my first ever zander which is a species I can’t say I’ve ever wanted to catch but I always welcome a new species. The stamp of all fish was good as well. I’m sure if I’d fished a full 6-7 hour session like usual catching such fish at such pace I’d have cleared 20lb with ease which would have been my best canal catch by a fair way so definitely got a tinge of regret for not staying a little longer but nevermind. Just a shame the boats don’t let you fish proper day sessions on the canal this time of year as they cause way more disturbance on the narrow shallow canal than the wider deeper Thames.

Tackle today was all about speed given how short the session would be so given a whip and rig you’ve already tied is much quicker than a rod and reel set up that was the plan of attack. That saw a debut for the 4M garbolino 158 which was cheap as chips and certainly felt it weight and balance wise (caused more of an arm ache than the jab!) but the actual action was pretty good when it came to striking and playing fish. Then the rig I think I’d tied on 4lb sensor ages ago which was to a 0.6g drennan AS3 to a size 18 to 2.25lb kamasan b611 hook to nylon set up down the bottom of the near shelf in about 4ft of water. A float rod would certainly have been a better option as I wouldn’t have been restricted to fishing just down the ledge plus I’d have not lost what I think were a couple much bigger skimmers and perch but time saved setting up cancelled out the negatives a little bit. Hook bait was single red maggot over frenzied hemp groundbait and loose feed was mostly red maggots and a tiny bit of hemp and caster.

All in all a very enjoyable little session that I’m really glad I went for as was undecided all day on whether it was worth it. It’s a shame the boats naff up fishing the canal through the day this time of year as when they aren’t running early and late the fishing is really good. Next session should be Friday as like last week I plan to take it off for another peaceful weekday Thames session after the successful session doing that last Friday. Then my weekend is rather full of social events but it is tempting to go down the canal again early Saturday morning after today’s success although if Friday on the Thames goes as well as it did last week that might call me back there!

Pics of the swim, a slightly over stamp roach, a roughly stamp skimmer and perch, the hybrid and the Zander. Almost took a pic of the bleak as it was a proper big herring but thought can’t be photographing a flipping bleak!
1626292421685.jpeg
1626292442701.jpeg
1626292453573.jpeg
1626292465224.jpeg
1626292473890.jpeg
1626292488177.jpeg

Silver fan 82

So a timely second jab appointment at 4 today getting me out of work early gave me the opportunity to do something I never do and have evening session as it allowed me to get down the canal about the time I’d normally just be finishing work. I wasn’t really expecting much as I wasn’t going to have time to really put a season together but it turned out very good indeed.

Started fishing bang on 5 and forced myself to stop at 7.15 as whilst tempted to fish on until the light started going I knew I’d regret that when inevitably a 10 o’clock shower would have woken me up to the point a rubbish nights slows would follow before work tomorrow. But in that time I had plenty of fish in the form of 12 perch, 10 roach, 8 skimmers, a hybrid and a bleak. And surprisingly I also had my first ever zander which is a species I can’t say I’ve ever wanted to catch but I always welcome a new species. The stamp of all fish was good as well. I’m sure if I’d fished a full 6-7 hour session like usual catching such fish at such pace I’d have cleared 20lb with ease which would have been my best canal catch by a fair way so definitely got a tinge of regret for not staying a little longer but nevermind. Just a shame the boats don’t let you fish proper day sessions on the canal this time of year as they cause way more disturbance on the narrow shallow canal than the wider deeper Thames.

Tackle today was all about speed given how short the session would be so given a whip and rig you’ve already tied is much quicker than a rod and reel set up that was the plan of attack. That saw a debut for the 4M garbolino 158 which was cheap as chips and certainly felt it weight and balance wise (caused more of an arm ache than the jab!) but the actual action was pretty good when it came to striking and playing fish. Then the rig I think I’d tied on 4lb sensor ages ago which was to a 0.6g drennan AS3 to a size 18 to 2.25lb kamasan b611 hook to nylon set up down the bottom of the near shelf in about 4ft of water. A float rod would certainly have been a better option as I wouldn’t have been restricted to fishing just down the ledge plus I’d have not lost what I think were a couple much bigger skimmers and perch but time saved setting up cancelled out the negatives a little bit. Hook bait was single red maggot over frenzied hemp groundbait and loose feed was mostly red maggots and a tiny bit of hemp and caster.

All in all a very enjoyable little session that I’m really glad I went for as was undecided all day on whether it was worth it. It’s a shame the boats naff up fishing the canal through the day this time of year as when they aren’t running early and late the fishing is really good. Next session should be Friday as like last week I plan to take it off for another peaceful weekday Thames session after the successful session doing that last Friday. Then my weekend is rather full of social events but it is tempting to go down the canal again early Saturday morning after today’s success although if Friday on the Thames goes as well as it did last week that might call me back there!

Pics of the swim, a slightly over stamp roach, a roughly stamp skimmer and perch, the hybrid and the Zander. Almost took a pic of the bleak as it was a proper big herring but thought can’t be photographing a flipping bleak!
1626292421685.jpeg
1626292442701.jpeg
1626292453573.jpeg
1626292465224.jpeg
1626292473890.jpeg
1626292488177.jpeg
Nice little session mate! Can't beat a bit of whip fishing now and then.
I bet the Zander put up a good account of itself.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
What a lovely place to fish. Brilliant report and pics matey. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t know. Never had a Zander in my life and you catch one on maggot. 🙄🤣🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice little session mate! Can't beat a bit of whip fishing now and then.
I bet the Zander put up a good account of itself.
Very nice indeed went much better than I expected. Reckon that’s the first time I’ve properly fished a whip in about 10 years. Wasn’t the right tactic but convenient and fun. Going to have to get a 5M better quality one though if I’m going to do it more.

Surprisingly the zander didn’t fight that much, kind of comparable to a poundish perch. Lost a couple much stronger fish, second I think was a perch first I thought the bottom til it bolted (very much regretted not using a rod then!) so probably a bream but guess they could have been zander as well. A load were taken out 6 weeks ago but seems some slipped through.

What a lovely place to fish. Brilliant report and pics matey. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t know. Never had a Zander in my life and you catch one on maggot. 🙄🤣🤣
Thanks mate and yes is a quite a pretty spot some very nice houses down there 👍

And yes I’d never even seen one before today as they are almost non existent on the Thames thankfully and getting less common on the canal as more and more are taken out by the authorities. Had to take the picture with the hook still in just to show how it looked like it legitimately took the maggot! The bite suggested as much as well very odd indeed.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You left handed by any chance Silverfisher mate ?
I’m right handed but fish left handed. To me it doesn’t take much dexterity to hold a rod so I do that left handed whereas as it does take more coordination to wind a reel, throw feed, net a fish, unhook a fish etc so I do that right handed. Is a bit of both for casting though. For anything under arm I just do left handed. For overhead I do a bit of both, left handed for short chucks and right handed for a bit further as left handed for range compromises accuracy a bit, will sometimes do right handed for short chucks as well if I feel I need to for whatever reason. For side casting it’s mostly left handed unless some welly is needed then I’ll do right handed. When I do cast right handed I then do a bit of a polly shuffle to get the rod back into my left hand to fish with. Fly casting I can only do right handed though except for roll casting which I can do with my left. I’m a bit faffy with unhooking swingable fish as well obviously I swing them with the rod in my left hand but then catch the line above the fish in my right hand then drop the rod onto the rest or under my arm then grab the fish in my left hand and unhook with my right hand. It’s all very unorthodox but it comes naturally to me so most people don’t even notice that I do it all wrong as I’m fairly efficient with it. I am quite ambidextrous just generally so I can do most things both ways reasonably well tbh.

Bit waffly in the end that bet you wished you never asked now 😅

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m right handed but fish left handed. To me it doesn’t take much dexterity to hold a rod so I do that left handed whereas as it does take more coordination to wind a reel, throw feed, net a fish, unhook a fish etc so I do that right handed. Is a bit of both for casting though. For anything under arm I just do left handed. For overhead I do a bit of both, left handed for short chucks and right handed for a bit further as left handed for range compromises accuracy a bit, will sometimes do right handed for short chucks as well if I feel I need to for whatever reason. For side casting it’s mostly left handed unless some welly is needed then I’ll do right handed. When I do cast right handed I then do a bit of a polly shuffle to get the rod back into my left hand to fish with. Fly casting I can only do right handed though except for roll casting which I can do with my left. I’m a bit faffy with unhooking swingable fish as well obviously I swing them with the rod in my left hand but then catch the line above the fish in my right hand then drop the rod onto the rest or under my arm then grab the fish in my left hand and unhook with my right hand. It’s all very unorthodox but it comes naturally to me so most people don’t even notice that I do it all wrong as I’m fairly efficient with it. I am quite ambidextrous just generally so I can do most things both ways reasonably well tbh.

Bit waffly in the end that bet you wished you never asked now 😅
🤣🤣. No problem pal. It was the position of your landing net and rod rest that made me think you were left handed that’s all. 🤣👍

SeanB

Site Supporter
Congratulations on the zander mate, not a fish I've ever seen let alone caught and as has already been said what a beautiful place to be 🙂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Congratulations on the zander mate, not a fish I've ever seen let alone caught and as has already been said what a beautiful place to be 🙂
Thanks mate was certainly a bit of a surprise on whip and maggot although that said my first pike came to stick and maggot although pretty sure that must have gone for a fish first! And yes is a nice place, bit jealous of the lucky sods who live in the houses opposite I’d happily put up with the road and train track to live there!

Nice zander !
That’s mate, was all of a couple pounds but a new species is always exciting!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
It looks a better stretch than Kidlington where I sometimes go.
The only things on the far bank there are brambles, bushes and trees.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It looks a better stretch than Kidlington where I sometimes go.
The only things on the far bank there are brambles, bushes and trees.
Tbh bushes and trees are preferable to look at than into peoples gardens as it does feel a bit invasive sat there plus it’s nice to look at something natural although they are nice looking houses. But the fishing’s better there than it is out of the village and it being a bit enclosed keeps most the wind out so it’s a handy spot to have. There’s 4 houses along there and I’ve fished in front all 4 at least a couple times each and have found the middle 2 to fish best. Exactly where I plonk my chair simply depends on whether the temperatures dictate me being in or out of the sun and where the boats are though!