A break from the norm.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Took a trip out to our stretch of the Weaver Navigation between Runcorn & Frodsham on Thursday. Haven't fished this river for 30 years & never fished this stretch so wasn't sure how I'd do. Arrived at 8am & my mate was already tackled up and fishing. We were then informed by a CRT coach that we couldn't fish as there was a Let's Fish coaching event taking place :mad:
Fortunately one of the other coaches arrived who also happens to be our club secretary & he smoothed things over and said they only needed a few pegs. Cheered me up no end but my mate had already tipped back the contents of his keepnet and wasn't best pleased!
It's more like a dirty great canal with a gentle flow, species are mainly skimmers, roach & perch. Favoured method is short pole, fished just over the first ledge with maggot & groundbait so a cheap days fishing really. My match kit had been stripped out & the elastic had been replaced with No5 Preston Slip. 0.13 mainline to a hooklength of 0.11 to a size 18 underneath a 1g float shotted with an olivette & a couple of droppers. Level was down a bit so my prepared 9' rig length was shortened to about 7'. Hookbait was red maggot & groundbait was some Black Roach, mixed with Frenzied Hemp & a bit of Sensas Lake. Only problem was, I forgot my big pots so had to resort to the old fashioned method of balling it in!
Bites came pretty quickly & although I bumped the first couple off, it wasn't long before I landed a couple of hard fighting perch...only small but blimey did they tug a bit! This was followed by a stream of small roach while my mate on the next peg was catching plenty of half pound skimmers. It was a couple of hours before the skimmers moved onto my peg but I snared a good few plus some more perch and roach. Not sure what my final weight was but it was a half decent net for my first foray in many years & I thoroughly enjoyed it. Going back next Thursday & I'll take some pics next time. Made a nice change from carp, F1's & pellets etc.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
It’s good to fish somewhere a bit different, especially if you’ve a bit of history on it.

Sounds like you had. A great day - hope the next session is even better.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Returned for round 2 today & with nobody else fishing plus only two boats moored, I managed to get what's normally a productive peg. Took a while to get them feeding though & for the first two hours, I only managed two skimmers and a perch. For the next two hours, they kept coming though. The stamp of skimmer was better & I managed some nice net roach. Chilled morning again.

Attachments

• 20220825_122128.jpg
    20220825_122128.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220825_075619.jpg
    20220825_075619.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220825_075602.jpg
    20220825_075602.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 38

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
That looks very pleasant and tranquil Neil, and a decent net of silvers for your efforts. :upthumb:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
That looks very pleasant and tranquil Neil, and a decent net of silvers for your efforts. :upthumb:
It is & it isn't....only one walker all morning & two lots of rowers , so I wasn't disturbed on the bankside at all. However it's only 100 yds from a main A road so the traffic noise is constant.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Took a trip out to our stretch of the Weaver Navigation between Runcorn & Frodsham on Thursday. Haven't fished this river for 30 years & never fished this stretch so wasn't sure how I'd do. Arrived at 8am & my mate was already tackled up and fishing. We were then informed by a CRT coach that we couldn't fish as there was a Let's Fish coaching event taking place :mad:
Fortunately one of the other coaches arrived who also happens to be our club secretary & he smoothed things over and said they only needed a few pegs. Cheered me up no end but my mate had already tipped back the contents of his keepnet and wasn't best pleased!
It's more like a dirty great canal with a gentle flow, species are mainly skimmers, roach & perch. Favoured method is short pole, fished just over the first ledge with maggot & groundbait so a cheap days fishing really. My match kit had been stripped out & the elastic had been replaced with No5 Preston Slip. 0.13 mainline to a hooklength of 0.11 to a size 18 underneath a 1g float shotted with an olivette & a couple of droppers. Level was down a bit so my prepared 9' rig length was shortened to about 7'. Hookbait was red maggot & groundbait was some Black Roach, mixed with Frenzied Hemp & a bit of Sensas Lake. Only problem was, I forgot my big pots so had to resort to the old fashioned method of balling it in!
Bites came pretty quickly & although I bumped the first couple off, it wasn't long before I landed a couple of hard fighting perch...only small but blimey did they tug a bit! This was followed by a stream of small roach while my mate on the next peg was catching plenty of half pound skimmers. It was a couple of hours before the skimmers moved onto my peg but I snared a good few plus some more perch and roach. Not sure what my final weight was but it was a half decent net for my first foray in many years & I thoroughly enjoyed it. Going back next Thursday & I'll take some pics next time. Made a nice change from carp, F1's & pellets etc.
A couple of us looked at the Warrington AA stretch at the side of the swing bridge going towards Frodsham from Preston Brook .
9 padlocks on the gate bar for various users !!! Good job WAA keys are distinctive .
Any we drove through and more or less parked behind a couple of pegs . Decent looking water ,like you said a big canal with gentle flow , reminded me of the Lock Channel on the Thames at Sandford,Oxford , but not as picturesque. heard it's good for silvers . But its to quiet, it's one one of those places you would go with a few mates for a just in case moment .
Fires had been lit at on point and crushed beer tins lying around . So it looks as if it gets visited by the local feral youths from the area.
I feel sorry for anyone who does fish near the car park WAA have a rule of any litter in or near your peg is deemed to be yours. ,

The Landlord

Site Supporter
A Warrington guy posted a video on YouTube, showing all those locks. He was fishing under the road bridge.