A bit of my whittering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

just thought i would post these up to help break the boredom of the closed season.

(now waiting for pi**taking to begin)
quote:
My Friend

Sat in the nature reserve on the banks of the River Sow I realised just how lucky anglers are.

I get to see sights which others are only fortunate enough to see in photos or on a nature documentary, I get to experience the thrill of seeing a Vixen & her cubs returning to the den as the suns rays start to light the dark sky, the anticipation of the Kestrel as it hovers silently over the long marsh grasses watching & waiting for its next meal to scurry from its hiding place, the Kestrel dives I look to see if it was successful in its attack, Ill never know because my attention is grabbed by the plop of the water vole as it enters the river & swims across the river to the opposite bank.

I find myself trying to imagine how the gentle flow of the Sow must seem to that delicate little creature, I imagine it would be the same as me trying to swim the Niger when its in full flow because of that image the vole gains a lot of respect from me.

As I sit & look I realise that the world isnt the dreary & dull place that it sometimes seems, we are blessed with a multitude of beautiful plants, creatures & surroundings but the hustle & bustle of everyday life sometimes blinkers our eyes and our minds to these wonders.

Sitting there on the bank all alone I find myself wondering if the great Izaak Walton himself had sat in the same spot thinking & enjoying the wonders of nature, again my thoughts are interrupted by a splash from the water and as I turn my eyes towards my old friend I see a flash of silver, right there under my feet is a shoal of Roach hurrying upstream & then I see the reason for the rush.

A big old Esox has broken cover & is slowly but surely making its way towards them, I watch with awe as the fish begins its attack on the shoal launching itself into them, its reward is a tasty breakfast.

Suddenly my lungs scream for oxygen & I realise that from the first sight of the pike I had been holding my breath.

Sadly I have to leave for work so I stand & bid my friend goodbye.

This thing which most see as just a river is a lot more than that, it is a living breathing thing of beauty, a beauty which most can only dream of.

I call the river my friend because thats exactly what it is.
In my mind a friend is someone who will patiently listen as you unload your troubles, someone who will cheer you up no matter how sad you feel, someone who will lift your spirits no matter how low they may have sank or turn their back on you for something you may have said or done.

A true friend will never speak a word of what you tell them in confidence & they will be there when you need them.

So now you see why I refer to the river as my friend because I know that no matter how I feel I can go & spend sometime with my friend & at the end of the visit I will walk away with a spring in my step and a new zest for life.

There you go Trev

Alan
You've just been moderated

Edited by - Trogg on 06 May 2002 10:20:42 PM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The longest day

quote:
Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick the unmistakable sound of the watch as it sits on your wrist is almost deafening as you sit under the old willow tree.

You look at it again for the 20th time in as many minutes & you cant help the almost silent sigh that escapes your lips.

A rustle in the undergrowth breaks the monotonous ticking & you turn to see old brock staring straight back with the questioning look of what are you doing here in his eyes, then hes gone ambling off into the field to find his supper.

Once again you hear it tick tick tick tick but in the darkness it seems louder somehow, again your loneliness is broken by the sounds of approach.

You peer into the darkness & see two figures looming out of the dark towards you when one stumbles, now you hear laughter & a voice that says just my bloody luck to break a leg tonight!

The figures draw near, they see you been here long? comes the question & although it seems like an eternity you reply almost immediately about an hour after exchanging a few more pleasantries you part company and they walk on to their chosen places.

Once again you are alone in the all enveloping darkness, in the distance you can hear the church clock strike the quarter hour & again you check your watch surely its later than that?? you think out loud & give the watch a little shake just in case.

Its all-quiet again now & you sit there twiddling your thumbs, then you check your equipment AGAIN just to make sure you havent forgotten anything.

A cool breeze comes across the field & an owl shrieks in the trees somewhere opposite you, coffee you startle yourself with how loud your voice seems in the darkness, you pour the coffee & inhale its aroma as the steam rises from the cup.

You hear the sounds of nature all around you & there in the distance is the church clock striking another quarter hour.
The excitement starts to build; you cant help yourself as a smile spreads across your face at the thought of what lays ahead.
The coffee cups empty now so you set it down, you take a quick glance at your watch & realise youve been daydreaming, theres now only two minutes to go until zero hour, the excitement is to much to control & with shaking hands you pick up old faithful and start to bait the hook, as you do goose bumps race up your arms to your neck then down your spine.

The tick tick tick is now so deafening its as if the sound is coming from inside your head!!
Then all suddenly becomes quiet & still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There in the distance is the sound youve longed to hear, the church clock as it strikes
the first chime of midnight, as the second chime sounds you make that first cast of a new season, & you swear you hear the river whisper welcome back old friend, Ive missed you & at last you feel like youre home.

& again Trev

Alan

Edited by - Trogg on 06 May 2002 10:22:51 PM

norm

crybaby2.gif crybaby2.gif
it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Alan,
No p taking here mate, I think they look fine, but they're to small for my eyes.
Please re do normal size, I genuinely would likec to read them, but the text is all broken.
Thanks
Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

waxlion1

Nice one Trogg!

Which book did you copy that from? icon_smile_wink.gif

Waxlion1

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Superb Alan

Real quality mate,Thanks for sharing those with us.

Only one problem mate,there goes your image. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Waxy
Remind me to slap you when we finally meet up again icon_smile.gif

Pete

Like i've said on another forum i've been doing a fair bit of writing just recently but these are the first ones i've shown to anyone other than Dian.

The other stuff i threw away cos i didn't think it was any good icon_smile_sad.gif

Since i've been on the computer i've been able to beat my dyslexia to an extent (i don't have to think about which keys i'm hitting now my fingers do it automatically)

Alan

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Alan,
Good for you mate.For my part i think you've managed to capture the moment with both pieces.
Don't keep us waiting too long for the next offering. thumbsup.gif

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Alan,
Thank you , both for the enlargement and for the words!
Genuine and obviously heartfelt!
Title that 2nd one June 15, I was lost in that!

Chees mate,

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

martin.

Account Locked
hi al
realy BOOTIFULL lets see some more & i agree with trev about title of
second one or maybe EVE OF THE 16th.
well done again

tight lines.
martin.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

The reason i called the second "one the longest day" was to keep you in suspenders (or is it suspence?) untill the last few lines when you would realise what the day was.

I thought if i went straight in & made it obvious that it was the eve of the glorious 16th then it would'nt work as well, there'd be no "tension" so to speak.

Thats why i used words like "places" instead of "swims", "opposite you" instead of "on the opposite bank" & thats why i tried to make no mention of water at all so as not to give the game away.

I do have one question which i would appreciate an honest answe to.

Did the story give you goose bumps as you read the final part?
I only ask because the other three people who read it before i posted it on the net said "it sent a shiver down my spine" or "i had goose bumps after reading that".

Alan

martin.

Account Locked
hi trogg
the last few lines gave me the reason to back the closed season on rivers the anticipation of the midnight start

tight lines.
martin.

MALC

Alan,
The second one brought back the memories as it's been years (to many)since i sat waiting for midnight on the 15th.
But i remember it just as you've penned it.

Well done.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Larry

Lazarus
Great TROGG,very thought "provoking" its been so long ago that i did that waiting for midnight on the 16th ,Right now lets have a big cheer for Trogg weeva Poet in our midst & didn't know it. keep em coming i like thought provoking mind tingling verse.

Cheer's Larry

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheers Larry

I'm about to embark on yet another 14 hour shift (against wife & doctors orders) so i'll probably draft summat else while i'm at work (its a hard life init?) icon_smile_big.gif

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.