A bike and a scooter

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I was out and about driving today and I experienced a couple of noteworthy events:

Stop-start driving in heavy traffic I saw in my mirror a pushbike overtaking the slow moving cars. He was riding down the middle of the narrow road with heavy traffic on both sides. There was a long central traffic island coming up and I calculated that if I continued at my current speed, the cyclist would have nowhere to go. So I slowed a bit and left a gap between me and the car in front, allowing the cyclist to cut in before the island. He gratefully waved a hand to me as he did so. Good chap.

The second one I was travelling in slightly faster slow moving traffic and indicating to turn left. I checked my left side mirror as I always do. But this time I saw a guy on an electric scooter zooming up the inside at a rate of knots. I calculated that if I continued to turn left he would be mincemeat. So I stopped, much to the annoyance of Mr. "I have no road awareness, I just beep my horn at anybody" in the car behind. Anyway, the scooterist zoomed on up the inside, ear buds in and oblivious to all, and when he had gone, I turned left.

Total

Site Supporter
................The second one I was travelling in slightly faster slow moving traffic and indicating to turn left. I checked my left side mirror as I always do. But this time I saw a guy on an electric scooter zooming up the inside at a rate of knots. I calculated that if I continued to turn left he would be mincemeat. So I stopped, much to the annoyance of Mr. "I have no road awareness, I just beep my horn at anybody" in the car behind. Anyway, the scooterist zoomed on up the inside, ear buds in and oblivious to all, and when he had gone, I turned left.
Then you 'got' him at the next set of traffic lights?:devilish::rolleyes:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Not the quite the same, but living in a semi rural area when driving on the country roads if I see a motorbike behind me and knowing where they are likely to attempt to overtake, I move over to the left as far as is safe to do so, just to give them that extra bit of room. Many will put a hand out once they passed to say thanks, although some don't which is diappointing, doesn't take a lot to say thanks.

This of course is not limited to bikers, Heading home from the Trent I was on the A46, I was in the outside lane of a dual carriageway, as I had seen a van following an artic on the inside lane. I get closed to the van, who decides he will flick his indicator on once and pull out causing me to brake. If the dipstick had checked his mirrors better, he would have seen a big gap behind me without a car for a 1/8th of a mile, Guess he was too important to wait a couple of seconds.