A big thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

To everybody who gave me pike tips earlier this week. I have now caught my first Esox. 2 in my one session thrusday and a nice whopper yesterday. Needless to say I am hooked. The 2 jacks didn't have much of a chance on heavy gear, but the one I had yesterday put up a sterling scrap. Thanks again guys, will keep you posted on my new found talent!!!![:D][:D][:D]

DJ.gif

Polepot

Poles
Beebs,

Congratulations but you have not said how you did it. Gear Rigs etc.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Beebs

My apologies. I was float fishing a dead bait on the bottom next to an island about 40 feet out in about 12 feet of water. They all came from the around same spot. First one was caught on a trout, the second was about the same size on a mackerel tail, and yesterday's I didn't weigh, because it took a while to get the hooks out and I was more concerned in getting her back into the water safely than messing around with photos and weighing, but I suspect it about a double figure fish on a whole joey mackerel. I couldn't get her head up at all and only saw her when she was close to the bank and when she came up and I saw her in all her glory I couldn't stop shaking. Like a crocodile. Afterwards she slipped back into the water and swam away safely.

Here she is, my first one, she's not a whopper and only about a foot and a half long, but a pike is a pike, and I was bouncing!!!![:D][:D][:D]

Last edited by a moderator:

Beebs

Mods. - sorry, but can you reduce this photo someway please, I've tried all ways, but it's come out like a monster.

That should do it [;)]

Last edited by a moderator:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
well done that man!!!!!!!! another piker is born

chill out go fishing

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Beebs - way to go and nice fish. Now we gotta get you catching them on lures. LOL

For reducing and otherwise messing with photos you intend to post, give a try a Irfanview. Free, kept up to date, and easy "one button" resizing of photos. Other stuff you can do with it as well such as:

Newt Vail

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Nice One Beebs

Stu
******L.U.F.C.

Beebs

Thanks again fellas, I tried messing around with PhotoEditor and the cruncher on the upload secreen, but it came to nought.

Newt - I don't know which part of the States you're from, but I hope for your sake it's one of the warmer parts!!! My feeble attempts at lure fishing have not succeeded yet, but I had a new reel for Xmas and have just bought a new spinning rod, so I have to make it work[:)][:)][:)].
I must admit to being a little lazy, I quite enjoy the therapy of watching a couple of big floats.

Once more, a thousand thank you's. I got a shudder this week when I landed my first few pike that I haven't felt for a long time and it made realise why the heck I was sitting out in the cold for days on end this week. You have another Piker on your hands!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Well done beebs

here's to many more [:)]

teepee.

Do not resist growing old.
Many are denied the privilege.

MALC

Well done Beebs,

It's a great feeling when you catch the first of a new species.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by beebs

Newt - I don't know which part of the States you're from, but I hope for your sake it's one of the warmer parts!!! My feeble attempts at lure fishing have not succeeded yet, but I had a new reel for Xmas and have just bought a new spinning rod, so I have to make it work.
Slightly warmer on average than the UK in Winter. Normals for today are +10 high and 0 low. Some ice some years but never much. Lots warmer in summer though and 37 highs in August aren't unusual at all.

As to the lure vs. bobber thing, in this weather you might try to combine. Assuming your bait rods are out a ways, take a lure rod and rig with a large floating plug of some sort. The more "fishlike" it's appearance the better.

Toss to a likely looking section in the margins if you have room. Otherwise out in the water but not a long cast. Let the plug sit at least until all the waves from it hitting are gone and longer is fine. Give it a twitch or two every once in a while. Not to make it move from it's spot but just to show a little action. 10-15 minutes between twitches is fine. And otherwise feel free to concentrate on your bobbers. If you get a take on the lure, there won't be anything subtle about it and you will know as long as you are next to your rods.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.